Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

new picco max .26 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:12 AM
bigsteel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new picco max .26 problems

ok,in my other thread i had poblems with my 3.3 but while at my LHS they had a 150.00 .26 max and i just couldnt resist it.its installed and ready to go,but during my begginings of break in it kinda sputters. itll run fine at idle but once i give it a little throttle it kinda sputters like the clutch is engaging and disengaging rapidly,and my temps are up to 280F ,is this normal for a new tight engine? im running the stock revo exhaust with a jato pipe and the stock clutch.i ran it one whole tank with the HSN at 6 3/4 turn out and the LSN 2 turn out from flush and my throttle servo is not glitching.
i started break in with 1 tank at idle,let it cool at BDC,then 1 tank at idle/quarter throttle,and thats where i stopped because i was worried something was wrongjosh
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Picco_Revo27

Default RE: new picco max .26 problems

It could be a bad air leak, try sealing the engine with high temp gasket sealer.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 AM
bigsteel

ok,i've never sealed an engine before,how would i go about doing this?josh
Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Picco_Revo27

get same high temp gasket sealer, take the carb off and put a small bead around, near the bottom of the carb base and put the carb back on. then take the back plate off and put a small bead of sealer around that and put it back on.

I use this sealer...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36698.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1271123  
Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM
ReaperGN

First off I would ditch the jato pipe. THe .26 maxx was designed around pipes for monster trucks not cars. And what fuel and plug are you using.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 PM
bigsteel

ok,got the sealant comin.reaper,im really short on cash now,would the original pipe be better than the jato pipe to hold me off until i get a new one? and im not sure off the top of my head what plug i used,what would you recommend? and i use byrons 20% fuel.josh
Old 09-08-2009, 06:15 PM
ReaperGN

The original pipe would do fine until you can get a new one. The jato pipe works but is tuned for high speed where the revo pipe is more about torque. If you do get some cash I highly suggest getting one from vantage racing. They are very expensive but I love the one on my maxx. As far as a plug my .26 red dot loves running a o.s. R5. And I have not tried byrons but I have heard no complaints. I am running 30% blue thunder HP8 and its the best running fuel I have tried so far.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:11 AM
bigsteel

ok,ill try sealing the enine over the weekend,hopefully i can get this all worked out.thanksjosh
Old 09-12-2009, 07:36 PM
b16a2sir
My Feedback: (3)

First off you should not have idled the tanks for brake in. The engine came with a suggested break in, I would follow it.

Also, check all the bolts on the head, I found one or two a touch loose. Make sure the carb is seated properly and the linkage is smooth. I had a tough time with it too untill I checked the head bolts and changed plugs.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:50 AM
bigsteel

it actually didnt come with a suggested break in method so i was totally lost.all it gave me were to idles the first few tanks with mid throttle sweeps and a reg operating temp.but i did everything and its still freakin out so i sent it to the LHS where i bought it and have having him figure out the problem and break it in from there.josh
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to idle the first tank with the head wrapped in foil to get it up to temp.... look up heat cycle breakin. Alot of people swear by it.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:47 PM
nitrorcjunkie

1. Go to Ofna's website and download the break in procedure.
2. Yes, the Picco motors are tight at break in
3. The original .26Max motors had problems with leaky front bearings, so that may indeed be an issue.
4. Do a search here for the"Picco .26 Max- the Dark Side" thread...there's a wealth of info there from Cliff and his brother that is invaluable to Picco .26 owners
5. the Picco .26 was designed to use stock Traxxas pipes, so a new pipe is not a necessity, but you will get more performance from an aftermarket pipe, like the Vantage metioned in another post
6. prepare yourself for one of the best mid-block motors you can put in your Revo....and welcome to the Dark Side!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
bigsteel

alright thanks.right now its at my LHS who is the guy who sold it to me and all pass on the info.thanks and its glad to be on the dark side [sm=punching.gif]...josh
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 PM
quadracer111
My Feedback: (1)

Seal the backplate and carb with coppter rtv. Reset to factory then continue break in. Buy a better pipe. Dynamite 053 or 086 is the best IMO.
You wouldnt run 85 octane in a drag car would you? Thats what your doing with the picco and small pipe.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seal it.... and run it.... it's a great motor once sealed. Your temps are WAY high though... which usually means an airleak. Hard to diagnose over the internet but try richening to chit out of it and see what your temps look like. If it won't respond to a tune then it's leaking air.

I agree about the pipe. The picco max .26 wasn't designed for the stock pipe.... but it CAN be run with one. You'll see a HUGE increase in power with an ofna 086 or 053 pipe.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:13 AM
bigsteel

i did seal the backplate and carb and it still didnt tune right,still the sputtering and super high temps.so the LHS is lloking at it cause hes the one who sold it to me.ill check back when i get it back.now pipe wise,i was wondering if i could use a JP-2 pipe,will it work?...josh