Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Is T-MAXX Delicate?

Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 PM
nitrorcjunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Is T-MAXX Delicate?

I think the point we're missing here is that the is a LEARNING CURVE that must be taken into consideration here. If you are new to RC monster trucks, you will break stuff. Period. I got my first nitro truck back in '05 and broke just about every part you can break, and some that shouldn't have broken. I now bash the ceeerap out of my Maxx without breaking anything, and I've jumped as high as the roof of my house and can still land it decently. My Maxx ain't no slouch, either- clocked by a cop on cop radar at 68mph. There are several upgrades you can make to toughen up a Maxx, but good driving skills come with time. Oh, hello Dave....been a while since I've been on here, glad to see you're still here doling out useful info....keep it up, bro!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM
fabrimacator21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

^ You just proved my point, stock for stock there is no competition. If your going Traxxas, get a Revo. I'm done here, no need for people who just got their Maxxes a month ago who think they've done it all to be telling me that the truck I've owned for 6 years, is a tank- even with hop ups.

Like I said in my original post, maybe Traxxas has done something other than color the new plastics grey, but the 02-08 Maxxes were turds and there are plenty of posts to prove it. As for aftermarket support, you are right- the T-maxx does have the largest base for this, but the Savage and Revo have every single part available as well, maybe not from 10 different companies for a single part, but they are there.
The guys question was is the tmaxx delicate.... the answer is no. I've seen video's of savages breaking off a 3ft jump and revo's/maxxes taking 20ft backflips over and over. Use common sense and it'll hold up fine.... if you want to fling a truck 20 ft into the air for 4 hours on asphalt then the savage is the truck you want. Some peoples experiences are different then others. I ran my maxx (first rc I've ever owned) for a month before I broke anything. Aluminum bulks, and rpm arms (70 bucks) and it's pretty damn sturdy without the lumbering handling of a savage.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:26 PM
fabrimacator21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitrorcjunkie

I think the point we're missing here is that the is a LEARNING CURVE that must be taken into consideration here. If you are new to RC monster trucks, you will break stuff. Period. I got my first nitro truck back in '05 and broke just about every part you can break, and some that shouldn't have broken. I now bash the ceeerap out of my Maxx without breaking anything, and I've jumped as high as the roof of my house and can still land it decently. My Maxx ain't no slouch, either- clocked by a cop on cop radar at 68mph. There are several upgrades you can make to toughen up a Maxx, but good driving skills come with time. Oh, hello Dave....been a while since I've been on here, glad to see you're still here doling out useful info....keep it up, bro!

68mph? There was a guy with a drag modded .28 picco revo and he barely hit 65mph.... no wonder cops issue so many tickets.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
nitrorcjunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep. 68 mph. 23t CB, 64t spur, leaned out to the point of melting the head, but it did it. 2 runs opposite directions, Bonneville style. Tried to duplicate it, but didn't want to smoke my Picco. didn't intend to hijack this thread, tho.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:04 AM
robwiljas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Haven't read the thread, figure it's probably the normal arguing lol. I just thought I would add my opinion. I have owned 2 T-Maxx's, an original pro.15 (later upgraded to 3.3) and a 4908 3.3, and 2 e-maxx's, a 3906 and a 3905 with MMM. I would definately not say they're delicate, but they are a little weaker than some others available. Stock they all seemed pretty good, the Pro .15 T-Maxx and the 3906 E-Maxx were good until I upgraded them, then it seemed like they broke everytime I drove them. I got fed up and got rid of them and got a Losi 1/8th Raminator which was supposed to be really tough and realized it broke too. After getting tired of that one, and the absolutely horrible 1/18th Raminator, I got the newer 4908 3.3 and 3905. Those were great. I did occasionally break a shock tower or bulk but it wasn't really suprising to me when they did. Anything will break in certain circumstances. I had a lot of bad landings that I was sure would break something and it didn't. They weren't as tough as my current ERBE, but they were in no way delicate.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Lurp06x

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

in advancement in technology with the two the maxx is a little more advance in its design but some people dont see that an only see numbers of how much power it has an label it right off the bat. traxxas seems to be more about the new stuff an new ideas were others either after they have a great model they either leave it as is or over the years strenghten it. an so my point really is that the t-maxx has a little of the new stuff but it has been worked on over the years even though. so the max is good. but as aways to who ever started the thread the decision isnt ares it yours an most of the people here are here to argue which one is the best. if only they made bashing a sport an had pro's doing it to prove which rc's are the toughest.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:51 PM
HarisKhoso

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks All for the information & Help. I actually Own a Maxx 4908 & a Revo 5308, I started this thread to gain more knowledge about people's experiences & Choice of Trucks & Its always good to have a healthy argument until it's not Negative & also wanted to know precisely what New products to Install (HopUps) to make T-Maxx more Durable.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Snook Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For a more durable Maxx you will want to think about installing;

Quality aluminum bulkheads, Shock towers and chassis braces.

The stock shocks leave a lot to be desired, the big bore shock do much better or you can use a 4 shock 1/8 scale setup like the Ofna LX One rear shocks (you will need the aluminum towers with more mounting positions for the Ofna’s to work properly)

RPM A arms will take all the abuse you can throw at them, and if by chance they do break, they have a lifetime replacement warrantee.

The stock body is flimsy, when you need to replace it use a thicker shell like a Pro-line, they last much longer and give better protection.

A rear wing and mount also provides great protection for the rear of the body and engine. It also makes a great wheelie bar and carrying handle.

The above is a good start to a decent basher, but the list goes on and on. Servos, tranny, engine, drive train, diffs, the upgrades are only limited to your wallet....

Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 AM
laganm21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just sell the Maxx and the savage and get a 1/5th scale the best desicion i ever made, i was so sick and tired of allways breaking stuff on the maxx, and the savage never ran and broke all the time to, both junk my 2 cents, for the money i spent on the maxx alone i could of have two 1/5th scales,
Old 09-17-2009, 06:19 PM
HarisKhoso

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Which 1/5 Scale do U have & how is the experience with the Petrol version?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:57 PM
laganm21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I sold the TMaxx and got a redcat rampage MT, and you can beat the living Shi$ of it and it allways ask for more , and never have to carry around a bottle of fule and a glow driver EVER again, you get 45min run time on a tank , and the engine will last a long time its a weed wacker, the only down side is that it weigh 36 pounds and top speed is about 40mph , but it pulls my kid in a wagon in the back yard i dont see the tmaxx doing that lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40410.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1277202  
Old 09-18-2009, 03:27 PM
HarisKhoso

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How Much would this Cost in Total as RTR $
Old 09-18-2009, 03:45 PM
ReaperGN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have not heard anything good about red cat or any other off brand company. I would not recommend buying them.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 PM
HarisKhoso

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't heard much about them either but just wanna know how much would it cost.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:56 PM
laganm21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tottaly agree I would never buy a redcat nitro but there 1/5th scales are top notch, ive been in the game for a while now and I back there 1/5 scales 100% my buddy just sold his baja ss for a redcat rampage TT what dose that tell you, any way it wll set you back about 800 but just think about what a tmaxx or savage cost and then add all the ungrade to make it bomb proof so its cheaper and + you have a huge MT that can roll over a tmaxx or a savage like it a match box car LOL
Old 09-18-2009, 05:56 PM
ReaperGN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best price I could see was $890. For what the thing costs its better to just pay the extra and get a hpi baja.

And that weed whacker with wheels will never keep up so I dont see it running my maxx over.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 PM
richardtf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i owned a redcat before and i dont have much luck on redcat,i spend more time fixing than playing.and i never bashed it, i always run my truck in a baseball field....so one day i opened the garage and decided to throw the redcat in the garbage can(were it belongs) and decided to get a traxxas 4908, and eversnce i never look bak
Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Goku
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HarisKhoso

How much tough is a Stock T-Maxx 4908?
build it right... drive it right...it'll hold its own against any other truck.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:24 PM
HarisKhoso

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Build it right? I,m talking about Stock.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:51 PM
ReaperGN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Stock they only break due to driver error. About the only thing that can break on its own is the spur gear. Other than that if your careful about what you do than it should be fine.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
laganm21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You all are refuring to the nitros this is not a nitro its a 1/5 scale gas truck, im just saying ive been in your shoes before messing with nitros and i got sick and tired of all the problems with nitros, never holding a tune, and allways breaking, so i was telling you about the 1/5 scale if u want to gas a go and not have to worrie about tuning and breaking parts every run, and if your a basher than its hands down the truck for you my maxx could only wish it could go where the rampage can, hell i can hardly go where it can
Old 09-19-2009, 02:47 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is the tmaxx delicate? I wouldn't use the term delicate, but it deffinantly would not be my first choice for an MT. I have owned a bunch or nitro rc's over the years. HPI, traxxas, associated, losi, ect. including a Revo, T-maxx, Savage and an LST. I currently have the Tmaxx and the LST

The Tmaxx is a decsent truck but there are better ones out there I think Losi probably produces the best quality monster truck on the market right now (excluding 1/5 scale). they are built so well and they handle great! my biggest beef with traxxas is why in the world would they put a small block engine in a truck this size???????? they call it 1/10 scale but if you put it side by side with a 1/8 scale Savage they are almost exactly the same size and the savage comes with a .28 (even if it is a crappy .28). I have a OS 18TZ in my T-maxx but it still feels under powered to me. I think my savage handled better than the T-maxx which is contrary to what you normally hear on these boards but I find the tmaxx flips over much easier than the savage did. but tires could help that.

If I was to rank these trucks it would look somthing like this

1. Losi LST/ LST2
2. Hpi Savage
3. Traxxas Tmaxx
4. Taxxas Revo

I had a bad experience with the revo but I won't go into that. It may have just been a lemon.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:37 PM
NOSInjected00GT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i just got a used tmaxx 2.5. i dont know what it was put thru before i got it but it might have been alot. when i got it home i found that the steering bellcranks were missing the screws in the top of the chassis. i think it was missing the ones in the bottom too. so i got the screws for the top and the bottom was on order. i drove a few tanks thru it and ive broken the front bulkheads and the skid plate. it did do some fantastic cartwheels and some other hard stuff before it broke. for instance i crashed into a trash can and it flipped into the street. even after that i wouldnt say its delicate.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:34 PM
pigpen1
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thank you you took the words right out of my mouth.i sold my redcat but i wanted to smash it with a hammer. stay away from redcat