Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo 3.3 vs. Tmaxx 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:57 PM
igorfederyuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo 3.3 vs. Tmaxx 3.3

ok so i want to get a nitro monster truck and i've narrowed it down to the traxxas revo 3.3 (5309) the revo i am talking about is the one with 2.4 Ghz. the one that has reverse. and the tmaxx 3.3 (4908) the new one that doesnt have reverse.
i am leaning towards the revo more but heard you break parts fast. so any info on the tmaxx and revo will be appreciated. i have never had a nitro car/truck before so which one will be easier to maintain and use?
thanks very much.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:05 PM
MPevine11

Default RE: Revo 3.3 vs. Tmaxx 3.3

i'd deffently go revo. T-maxx = transmission problems...well for me anyways
id recomend if you do go revo remove reverse.... and get RPM arms :]
Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM
ReaperGN

The 5309 and the 4908 use the same trans other than the revers unit. Which can be installed in either.
Out of the box the revo is better but if you plan on doing some upgrading then the tmaxx can run with any revo.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Kingfamily8

If you plan on racing i would go with the Revo.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 PM
igorfederyuk

i'm just going to bash around my backyard, do some jumping...going over some rocks, stuff like that.
what about the team associated mgt 4.6 se. is it good for begginner, because one concern of mine is that it doesn't have a starting system, like the easy start, or rotostart.
thanks again
Old 09-25-2009, 07:08 PM
MPevine11

i'd deffently say go with with revo. you wont be disapointed
Old 09-25-2009, 07:27 PM
ReaperGN

Both trucks are very good. Look on the traxxas site to see each trucks highlights. Then decide which one you prefer more. Really the only differences are the shock mounting and chassis layout.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 AM
FreakBoy

Buy the T-maxx 3.3 Its a good truck
Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM
racemaxx24

I've owned both a T-Maxx 3.3 and a Revo 3.3 and hands done, the Revo IMO was a better basher and racer. Never had one problem with it(well the screw came out of the battery box and the receiver battery fell out once, thank god for a failsafe.). Never broke a part, stripped a spur gear, blew a diff, anything. With the Revo, you won't be disappointed.

The T-Maxx 3.3 is still a great truck. Easy to find parts for, pretty durable(ask my neighbors tree about the durability of a T-Maxx), and easy to work on if you don't have the Cheezy Start in.

Like the guys before me said, it's basically all about personal preference.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:08 AM
George4242

i have a revo its a really good truck but i think the t- maxx's reverse is a lot better design then the revo's i dont like the small servo it has. the t maxx's is the normal size servo. the t-maxx is higher then the revo for better clearence. i just wish the revo could make it have a normal size servo i think the revo would be the right one. but you really want a traxxas because you can pick just about any thing you need from your lhs. i went threw a couple of the small servos.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:12 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Revo hands down, anyone who says otherwise is a fool. Why pay the same price for older technology and weaker construction? Its only worth it if you want to stick to the classic dual shock MT look- end of story.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM
George4242

hey man i'm not saying that i would want a t-maxx im just saying that t-maxx's reverse seems to me to be a little better set up then the revo's. i kinda would like something a little like the t-maxx's set up in the revo.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 PM
jd31

wow, noobs stop asking the same question every day just do some research, i swer in the last two months i have seen over 20 posts with the same revo vs t maxx and everyone is tired of giving their opinions, do some research first, and to answer your question revo, best all around, tmaxx is fragile
Old 10-10-2009, 08:51 AM
vwb563

For me it would all depend on what I was intending on doing with the truck and how much I was willing to spend. A new Revo 3.3 will cost you at least $100.00 more than a new T-Maxx 3.3. I have a 3.3 T-Maxx and my friend has a Revo 3.3. They run the same top speed, have the same acceleration, but the suspension of the Revo is just unbelievable! The Revo will handle rough terrain and land jumps that would have flipped my T-Maxx over. To me the Revo's "claim to fame" is its suspension. Personally I can't see there would much, if any at all, difference between the two as far as durability. They are pretty much built from the same materials being they both are Traxxas's.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:26 AM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: vwb563

For me it would all depend on what I was intending on doing with the truck and how much I was willing to spend. A new Revo 3.3 will cost you at least $100.00 more than a new T-Maxx 3.3. I have a 3.3 T-Maxx and my friend has a Revo 3.3. They run the same top speed, have the same acceleration, but the suspension of the Revo is just unbelievable! The Revo will handle rough terrain and land jumps that would have flipped my T-Maxx over. To me the Revo's ''claim to fame'' is its suspension. Personally I can't see there would much, if any at all, difference between the two as far as durability. They are pretty much built from the same materials being they both are Traxxas's.

Very well said. Although, the T-Maxx has a reputation for fragile a-arms, and a couple other parts such as bulkhead braces, and suspension pins. But Like vwb563 said, it all depends on what you plan on doing with the truck.

Race- go with the Revo
Bashing- go with the Maxx

combination of racing/bashing- go with the Revo.

I've had a T-Maxx, and have been working on my friends, and they are fairly durable, lasted 4 days straight HARD bashing at the beach, 2 gallons of fuel, and ZERO issues other than the rock that jumped out of nowhere. But it seems that even my Slash-converted Revo handles rough terrain much better and lands a bit smoother on the jumps..

its all a matter of taste and plans..bashing, or racing..or both?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:16 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

is this a joke ?
revo all the way, what on earth would make you even consider the older designed T MAxx, [the re-design was rubbish] that handles worse, is slower and breaks more.....
eeerm revo.....

REVOFORBASHING will outright own a TMaxx, pick a rough track and watch revo own it, vertical suspension on the Tmaxx, its all over........REvo handles jumps better, speed better, road driving better, sand driving better, it even STOPS better !
There is no comparison.
The following users liked this post:
BEAST MASTER (02-15-2023)
Old 10-10-2009, 06:53 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

-=REVO=-

mine bashes fine even doing stupid stuff, best r/c car ive ever owned & do own.

why dident i get one years ago, if only i knew.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 PM
vwb563

I must say, a new Revo model 5309 will most likely be my next purchase! I have wanted one for a long time now. Maybe Santa Clause will bring me one this Christmas!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:13 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

My bro's tmaxx seems fairly durable. His handles pretty big jumps and backflipps with hard nose landings. He has broken front a arms and traxxas a arm hinge pins. Rpm a arms and lunsford ti hinge pins fix that. My bro's tmaxx has met my HPI Savage X 4.6 a few times. My Savage drives away an my bro's limps off broken.

Ethire way tmaxx or revo your buying plastic drive shafts, axles, transmission gears, and you have an odd ball 3.3 engine. The engine case is larger than a small block (.12, .15, .18) but smaller than the big blocks (.21, .25, .26, .28, .30, .32, .36). Yes there are a couple engines that are made for a direct replacement of the 3.3 but they are just as expensive if not more than most big blocks.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

All u need to really know about the Tmaxx design fault on its chassis......game over revo owns it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-kwn...eature=related
Old 10-11-2009, 04:22 PM
HarisKhoso

I Own Both Revo 5308 & T-Maxx 4908.
As a matter of Fact I find both difficult to be compared as both have different platform. Ya they r Monster Trucks but because of the Difference in Technology such as Chassis & Suspension they R Totally Different from Each other in every respect. Differences such as Handling, Acceleration etc just because of the way they r built.

Revo & T-Maxx as far as Durability is Concerned go hand an hand. I wouldn't give Revo or T-Maxx more Credit than the other. The Feeling U get from Driving Revo U wouldn't get it from T-Maxx & Vice Versa. It's all about the Feeling U get while Driving such High Performance RC's, feelings that in fact can't be described by Words until Practically Felt by Oneself.

Accidents do happen, & can happen with any One. No matter how Best an RC or any Product Worth Considered as UnBreakable or UnSinkable will Break & Sink just like the UnSinkable TITANIC .

Revo is a Beast more like a Racer & a Basher at the Same Time, by the way a Very good Basher & T-Maxx is not less in any way but a bit Slower than a Revo But Doesn't Bottoms Down like the Revo & a Much Good Basher than the Revo. Both r more Durable than anybody who Intends to Use them in a Humanly Manner unlike Bought it to Break it.

The Only thing I hate about T-Maxx is it Exhaust Pipe on the Side rather than at the Back like Revo, Dirtying Ur Tyres & eventually Fading their Color other Wise One day I Drive Revo the Other Day I Drive T-Maxx & Both Feel absolutely Different. Now Choose by Looks if U Want
Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Snook Man

Having owned many, many of both the Maxx and Revo, IMHO The Revo is the better basher and racer out of the box without question...It takes quite a bit of effort and money to make the Maxx as race worthy and durable as the Stock Revo.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 PM
mxdubbs

My friend has a T-maxx and I have a revo,The T-maxx is ok but the revo is a lot more stable and I mean a LOT!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 PM
champ48
My Feedback: (23)

Hands down the revo...the t-maxx is very fragile and does not take alot of abuse...I ran my revo (by accident) into our campfire pit which has huge rocks around it and the revo just went flying into the air and I flipped it back over and it was ready for more abuse!lol This truck is mad awesome...I can't even begin to think how many times I've crashed my revo!lol Not only that but the revo is so stable!! It's amazing for a Monster Truck...So in my opinon definitely go with the revo and if the racing bug your already set!lol
Happy bashing...
Old 02-15-2023, 08:22 AM
BEAST MASTER

Smile

Originally Posted by piddlefoot
is this a joke ?
revo all the way, what on earth would make you even consider the older designed T MAxx, [the re-design was rubbish] that handles worse, is slower and breaks more.....
eeerm revo.....

REVOFORBASHING will outright own a TMaxx, pick a rough track and watch revo own it, vertical suspension on the Tmaxx, its all over........REvo handles jumps better, speed better, road driving better, sand driving better, it even STOPS better !
There is no comparison.
I have to disagree on the Revo. I have had a Revo 3.3 and i now have a Tmaxx 3.3 and the Maxx would rape the Revo hands down. On top of that i race 3 Revo 3.3 and 2 other Tmaxx and 9 out of 10 times the Maxx wins. Revo shock placement is garbage and they constantly break or fly off (good luck finding the springs) the Bulk heads are trash and the rear exhaust causes issues with tuning it and snaps easily when bashing. Don't get me wrong it handles but with the right spring setup on the Tmaxx like stated earlier they scream past the Revos. I have a buddy who does have a sick Revo but he has put over a grand just into the trucks main suspension and drivetrain to get it to stay competitive as it constantly would break a bulk head, A Arm, or Shock when crashed. Mt Tmaxx i have put it through alot of bashing and the most i change is a spur gear here and there or if i hit hard maybe a A Arm. Never had to replace a single shock, Shock tower, Bulk Head or Drivetrain. But again i have the Big Bore Shocks on Beast also. In the end everyone will tell youy Revo because it seems more updated but its the longevity and amount of run time that means most to me. Oh and the Maxx out runs the Revo also except James Revo as he has a .21 which beast is about to have a Adam Drake OFNA Jamming .21 JPX so he is about to go down soon lol. Just saying maybe not believe all the hype until you've seen them both in HARD action. Hope this helps and both trucks rock its just about what you want and how much you want to work on the truck. I have been in Nitro for over 15 years and have owned 1 Revo, 1 Stampede (battery powered... pukes) and my Beast my Tmaxx. I can say i won't have to buy another truck having Beast. Thanks