Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

WD40 as after run oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Redvanmafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WD40 as after run oil?

I was told that you were able to do this,
Old 10-29-2009, 06:27 PM
p00hbear

Default RE: WD40 as after run oil?

the whole point to after run oil is to protect your motor from moister and caustic chemicals left over from the fuel... WD-40 will protect your motor from any moister the unburned fuel would attract.. however wd-40 is no where near as thick as after run oil.. wd-40 is good to spray on steel parts of your truck when you put it away for winter.. even then you can buy after run oil cheaper then wd-40... I would just stick with your afterrun oil... its better long term and will last longer int he motor during storage,...

WD-40 works well in a pinch but is not a replacement for after run oil... use wd-40 for external parts and after run for your motor...

Old 10-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Redvanmafia

alright thanks,
Old 10-29-2009, 06:53 PM
scoobs92

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been using wd40 for over 3 years now and havent had a problem yet
Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: scoobs92

same here..70+ different nitro models, all used WD40 and zero issues..and when comparing the size in fl. oz., wd40 is far cheaper than after run oil.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 PM
p00hbear

ORIGINAL: turbodremz23

ORIGINAL: scoobs92

same here..70+ different nitro models, all used WD40 and zero issues..and when comparing the size in fl. oz., wd40 is far cheaper than after run oil.
IMHO because the viscosoty of wd-40 is so much less you end up using more to accomplish the sasme goal... one little bottle of after run oil lasts for a pretty long time... What i dont get is wd-40 wont protect your motor from any caustic materials left from the fuel and thats part of the design for after run oil... wd-40 will prtoect from moister thats a given... But whatever floats your boat I suppose...

Old 10-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Redvanmafia

ok great thanks for clearing that up, i just have lots of wd40 laying around so i thought i would ask,
Old 10-29-2009, 09:54 PM
scoobs92

the main reason for after run is moisture and in traxxas video they even say to use wd40 like i said over 3 years and countless rc's and by buddies use it also we have yet to have a problem happen from using it its way cheaper and its easier to get it started also (in my opinion)
Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, and it took them 40 tries to get the formula right, so that is where the name came from. It will work fine for cleaning your engine and protecting it from water.

What WD-40 wont do as well as after run oil is actually lube your engine. After run oil will leave a fairly thick film of "heavy" oil on your engines parts and bearings. It will last for a long time, and protects against "dry starts" which is the cranking that occurs before your engine sucks fuel to the tank. WD-40 will eventually evaporate for the most part, and wont protect from the dry starts.

WD-40 will work fine, but after run oil is better in my opinion because of the film of oil on all the parts that it leaves. I personally use a bottle of 3 in 1 oil. It will last a long time and does a great job and comes in bigger bottles than the "after run oil".

Eric
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 AM
masshole
My Feedback: (1)

how about silicone spray would that work well as after run oil??
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 AM
Maxximize

3 in 1 oil eh? ive never heard that one before lol i may have to try that. yeh i never use wd tho even tho it does seem to work as i dont think it truely neutralizes all that highly corrosive stuff that rc fuel contains. i wonder how 3 in 1 does for that aspect of after run? id just rather not take the chance of wd ya know when i paid 2 to 300 bucks for a motor. i just get visual images of pitting in the crank case and other engine parts... ugh! lol
Old 10-30-2009, 04:32 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Seen both used for decades, use what you want, but ,cummins driver nailed it perfect.
People use WD40 and the like because after run oil is messy if your driving in a week, it just becomes more work, it gunks up, and kills the glow plug faster, so they use WD40.

After seeing WD40 used for so long, l dont think the dry start issue is all that major.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

The After Run oil from Trinity is just as thin as WD-40.

Hobbico's aro is probably just automatic transmission fluid.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
:-)

I've heard that WD40 messes up the seals on the engine, but this is just a theory, nothing beats years of experience, and the feedback of those who have used it seems positive. I suppose the advantage of using high viscosity oil is that it clings to all the walls and stuff of the engine rather than just pooling at the bottom.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:32 PM
DooTrax

i wouldn't use it, cuz of the simple fact that its not oil. why cheep out when it comes to your motor. its the heart of your rig. Yeah people have had luck but still, why take the chance. just to save afew bucks, nawwww!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 PM
controlliner

Don't get WD40 on O rings and plastic parts. It is highly possible it will damage these parts.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

hobbico ARO is marvel mystery oil, which is ATF plus a couple things...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Straick

If I'll be running within 24 hours, I don't bother with ARO. But, if I don't know when I'll be running again, or know it'll be more than a day out, then I use ARO. Simple enough, pop the aircleaner and drop a couple drops right into the intake while turning the engine over slowly. I wouldn't trust one of my engines to WD40. As a water repellant on bearings, yes, but not for the heart of the truck.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 PM
SpaceCowboy
My Feedback: (2)

One airline I worked for issued a letter that ' WD-40 is NOT to be considered a lubricant as it contains over 90% alcohol.'

It is as much a lubricant as water is a lubricant.

I use Corrosion Block on my engines.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:30 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, and it took them 40 tries to get the formula right, so that is where the name came from.
Eric

hahaha, i was just about to make a post askin if anyone knew what wd-40 stands for, but you beat me to it without me even askin the question. Good job!!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 PM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: SpaceCowboy

One airline I worked for issued a letter that ' WD-40 is NOT to be considered a lubricant as it contains over 90% alcohol.'

Negative..the Primary ingredient in WD40 is Aliphatic Hydrocarbon (hexane), mineral oil and carbon dioxide..WD40 contains 0% alcohol, and is a petroleum based product..therefore with it being petroleum based, if alcohol was introduced to the mixture it would break down and become useless. AND WD40 being petroleum based is a corrosion blocker in itself, and has actually been proven to not only prevent rust, but stop rust all together.

Here are the ingredients in full detail:

attn to #3: http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

I have been using WD40 on my rc's now, even the plastic parts and o-rings for well over 17yrs, and have had NO ill effects. The only downside to using WD40, is that it can attract dust/dirt/sand on exposed surfaces. IF you use it properly, and dont spray every single part or the entire r/c model itself, you wont have any issues, and it works just fine as an after run oil..and YES WD40 is a lubricant, read the facts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
Old 11-02-2009, 11:54 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

Negative..the Primary ingredient in WD40 is Aliphatic Hydrocarbon (hexane), mineral oil and carbon dioxide..WD40 contains 0% alcohol, and is a petroleum based product..therefore with it being petroleum based, if alcohol was introduced to the mixture it would break down and become useless. AND WD40 being petroleum based is a corrosion blocker in itself, and has actually been proven to not only prevent rust, but stop rust all together.

I have been using WD40 on my rc's now, even the plastic parts and o-rings for well over 17yrs, and have had NO ill effects. The only downside to using WD40, is that it can attract dust/dirt/sand on exposed surfaces. IF you use it properly, and dont spray every single part or the entire r/c model itself, you wont have any issues, and it works just fine as an after run oil..and YES WD40 is a lubricant, read the facts:

wow. that was like a kick to the nuts.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 AM
DooTrax

lol
Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Royal Purple 10w30 synthetic. The same stuff I put in my 1:1 4x4. Whatever is leftover I use as ARO. No need to go out and by specific ARO.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 PM
:-)

You're undoubtedly right - knowing from personal experience and the chemistry behind it -, but I would never take wiki's word as law... and there is still something to be said for high viscosity oils that'll cling to the bits you want them to for a bit longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.