Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo 3.3 problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:05 AM
monsterpede360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo 3.3 problems

Alright broke in my new engine properly and ran fine after. Then slowly tank after tank it starts to cut out bog down and shut off. What could be the problem? I think it might be the 1 year old gas i started using after the break in.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 AM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Revo 3.3 problems

could be old fuel...what kind of temps were you running at? could be slightly off tune
Old 11-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Straick

I'd start with some fresh fuel. With fuel that's a year old, you more than likely have moisture in it, as well as the nitromethane by now will have degraded so it will be a lower nitro content. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 AM
vwb563

Sounds to me like its more out of tune than anything. Try some new fuel, but don't throw away your old fuel. It's most likely just fine.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 PM
shannonmaurer

i just bought a new revo and all was well til the spur gear went out on me i replace it but now when i give it gas it goes but when i let off the engine wants to rev up really high it sounds like its not a good thing at all anybody have a clue what  im doing wrong im quite new to this and im not liking whats hapening right now

Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Mclovin350z

360 did you ever change the plug? I would change the plug AND get new fuel. The moisture in that old fuel (you will have some no matter how hard you try not to) will ruin the platinum coating on your glow plug. Plus the methanol is what attracts moisture. Without methanol and platinum it won't run wellbecause the methanol needs toreact with the platinum.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Snook Man

If it were the fuel that was the problem it would not run well to begin with, not slowly begin to act up.

A few years ago I tested a ½ gallon of fuel that was a couple of months old. My son had left the cap off for at least 2 weeks in my very humid garage (<place>South Florida</place> in the summer months). I used a 2.5R engine with about 4 gallons through it for the test. The fuel out of the bottle ran fine with no apparent signs of any tuning problems for 4 tanks. I then poured in 1 cup of tap water into the bottle of remaining fuel, swirled it around to mix it up and re-tested with the same engine.

After a little tuning, the only difference I could see in engine performance was a loss of power which I assumed was due to the lower nitro content. I used all the remaining fuel without issues. The test was conducted with the same glow plug.

I don’t recommend anyone doing this to their engines but I saw no ill effects.

IMO, fuel gets blamed way too often for tuning issues weather it be related to the carb needle settings or problems with the exhaust/fuel system or engine leaks.

If anyone wants to send me their bad fuel, I will be glad to report back once I use it up…

Old 05-02-2010, 05:56 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

SNOOK, thats too funny... did the engine run afterward? How long did it last?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Snook Man

The engine ran fine for quite a few more gallons after I used the watered down fuel. Don’t remember exactly how long/gallons later. The piston and sleeve eventually needed replaced from what appeared to be normal wear.

I’ve got another experiment ongoing.

A while back a bought a used original 2.5R Revo. It was purchased by the seller when the Revo first hit the market. He was not a good tuner and smoked the original piston. He bought a new engine for it and could not get past the break-in and keep it running. He got discouraged, put it on a shelf in the garage and forgot about it for a couple of years. I bought it and the remaining ½ gallon of original fuel from when he purchased the truck.

The fuel was $14.89 a gallon which matched the original receipt and the date on the label was 02/04, which makes the fuel 6+ years old now.

I ran about 4-5 tanks of it with no problems and decided to see how long it will last. I’m keeping it stored on a shelf in my garage, sealed with the original cap (it was missing the inner plug when I got it). I intend to run a couple of tanks full every year until it is gone or does not run properly. It will take quite a few years to use it up since there is over 1/3 of a gallon remaining.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

GOD-DAMN MAD SCIENTIST!!! hahaha, that's too cool...
Old 05-06-2010, 01:52 AM
gettnbetter

I have fuels over 25 years old. Some 60% nitro boat fuel from way back in the day and it still pushes my old fiberglass 3.5cc K&B Dumas tunnel just fine. I have a few other rare fuels about the same age. Nitro does not degrade, neither does methanol. If kept in the dark in a decently sealed container they will last forever. If the fuel is exposed to the sun it will start to degrade immediately.