Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx 3.3 Concern

Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
gpix13
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx 3.3 Concern

Hey All,

I am new to the forum and to nitro vehicles (well I will be new to nitro vehicles once I get my T-maxx 3.3 for Christmas). You see, I normally get pretty anxious about stuff like this and have been reading anything and everything about the T-Maxx 3.3 that I can get my hands on. Reviews, articles, the manual, posts, etc. However, while reading the manual I noticed that they do not recommend that you run the truck during cold cold weather, so I'm a little concerned. Not as much about the break in process, but just that fact that I am going to break it in when I get it, while it's cold, and the fact that I'm completely new to nitro vehicles. I am planning on doing things straight from the book in terms of Traxxas' break-in process so there's no problems there. I'm just concerned if I'll be able to get it properly broke in with my knowledge (no knowledge) of nitro vehicles and with the weather. Any tips, suggestions and thoughts are more than appreciated.

Thanks,

Gpix13
Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM
vwb563

Default RE: T-Maxx 3.3 Concern

How cold of weather are you planning running it in? Its not a good idea to run any nitro in real cold weather say 30 degrees or colder. As far as break in goes do you have a garage or some kind of out building where you can run it? Just run a hose of the muffler to the outside so as not to breath the exhaust fumes. Wont hurt a thing to break it in in cool weather. A lot of people wrap damp rags around the engine head to keep them extra cool during break in so this could be good thing todo itin cool weather. Just follow the instructions to the letter and you should be fine.
ORIGINAL: gpix13

Hey All,

I am new to the forum and to nitro vehicles (well I will be new to nitro vehicles once I get my T-maxx 3.3 for Christmas). You see, I normally get pretty anxious about stuff like this and have been reading anything and everything about the T-Maxx 3.3 that I can get my hands on. Reviews, articles, the manual, posts, etc. However, while reading the manual I noticed that they do not recommend that you run the truck during cold cold weather, so I'm a little concerned. Not as much about the break in process, but just that fact that I am going to break it in when I get it, while it's cold, and the fact that I'm completely new to nitro vehicles. I am planning on doing things straight from the book in terms of Traxxas' break-in process so there's no problems there. I'm just concerned if I'll be able to get it properly broke in with my knowledge (no knowledge) of nitro vehicles and with the weather. Any tips, suggestions and thoughts are more than appreciated.

Thanks,

Gpix13
Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM
gpix13

Alright thanks for the response. I plan on breaking it in when I get it so hopefully its about 35 or 40 degrees outside. But when you say run a hose out so as to not breath in the fumes, do you mean attach a hose to the muffler of the truck and run that hose to the outside so it deposits the exhaust out there? If so, don't you have to actually drive the car in short bursts so I don't understand how that would work..

Gpix13
Old 12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

Traxxas engines like 200-220 degrees for breakin. In cold weather add a sleave around the cooling head to achive these temps Go to the Traxxas web site and you can find thier reccomendations for cold weather breakin.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:45 PM
vwb563

Yes i guess that would be kinda hard. I was remembering my recent break in of a CEN GST truck. Their break in proceedure is 4 full tanks at idle only. That is what I was thinking when I said to use a hose. Just be careful indoors. Nitro exhaust fumesare even more dangerous than fumes from a car.
ORIGINAL: gpix13

Alright thanks for the response. I plan on breaking it in when I get it so hopefully its about 35 or 40 degrees outside. But when you say run a hose out so as to not breath in the fumes, do you mean attach a hose to the muffler of the truck and run that hose to the outside so it deposits the exhaust out there? If so, don't you have to actually drive the car in short bursts so I don't understand how that would work..

Gpix13
Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 PM
gpix13

Hey again, thank you for your responses. I do have one more question though for right now.

When Traxxas suggests putting like a sock or paper towel or something of the sort around the cooling head, isn't that part going to get hot? So I would have to do it before I started the engine and then let it cool before I can readjust the material around it? Or does it not get that hot, or not hot at all, to where I can just leave the engine running, take the body off, and readjust it right then and there without burning myself?

Thank you all.

Gpix13
Old 12-09-2009, 04:11 PM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

Use something like a file folder. Cut it to fit around your cooling head and staple it together so it will slip on and off. I use silver tape on mine.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:38 PM
gpix13

Use something like a file folder. Cut it to fit around your cooling head and staple it together so it will slip on and off. I use silver tape on mine.
Yeah I could do something like that as well. I guess the main thing I want to know is: Does the cooling head, the ribbed thing with fins, get hot? and if it does, does it get very hot?

Gpix13
Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can get hot.. nothing that will leave permanent damage... you want to keep the engine at around a certain temp according to traxxas... most people just wrap aluminum tape around the head.. This tape is like duct tape, just made of metal.. works very well... put it on before you start the engine... It will hold in the heat.. you don't need to do this unless it really cold outside.. below freezing...
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regular running you can go as low as you want until the fuel starts to gel up in the tank. For break in, you will want to insulate the head as mentioned.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:07 PM
gpix13

Alright, cool. Thanks a lot everyone.