Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3.3 oiling mod

i went through 12 gallons of byron's gen2 fuel this year and 7 rear crank bearings. each time i took the motor apart the bearings were dry. so i came up with this mod does any one see why it wont work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 3.3 oiling mod

if that hole is were it looks like...you might of just ruined your motor. cause now it will not be able to compress the crank case as good therefor destroying preformance. i would cover that hole up and look into modding the crank to direct some flow into the bearing.
    REVO NINJA .28, MBX5T, FLM pede hv maxx, rc18t brushless, DX3S,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

... Well it was an idea but I do agree with mayham,You probebly ruined your motor but If it works tell us it would be cool to have a new engine mod that works.
    Stampede vxl!!!
    Revo 3.3 <The best truck ever)
    I want to make a 50cc 2-stroke truggy.

NITRO!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can throw that motor in the trash seeing as its pretty much worthless right now
    -= 100 Is Only The Beginning =-
    -= Made In Dade =-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well it is an old motor so i don't care. the crank shaft sits so close to the bearing that i cant see blow by being a problem. if any one stopped to think about it no matter how much you mod the crank you can not direct oil to the bearing. because it comes from the center of the shaft and centrifugal force sends it to the con rod and bottom of the piston.
    and man its like a pack of dogs jumping on 3 legged cat in theses forums. that was some fast negativity.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you are really worried about the flow, leave the seal on the rear half of the bearing, you would need aftermarket bearings or two front bearings but that should take care of it, or at least get it good enough

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

its pertty easy to mod the crank. most motor cranks are shaped in a V..the 3.3 is a O..simply cut it so you can increase exposure to the bearing...btw i hope you dont think what i write is negitive, im just trying to to help you out...if you lived here in the US i would mod your crank for free if you sent it to me. but i know shipping from up north is expensive
    REVO NINJA .28, MBX5T, FLM pede hv maxx, rc18t brushless, DX3S,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

twelve gallons!!!!!!!!
    holy cow man ,thats a LOT of running
    i would think that if the engine bearing needed to be
    directly lubed .The factory would have compensated for that lubrication!
    The engine is like other two cycle engines, meaning the oil in the fuel goes down into
    the bottom of the engine to lube the bearings and comes up along the sides of the
    sleeve to be withdrawn into the engine .the whole reason for doing it this way is to lube the
    bottom end of the engine! If you went through seven bearings in twelve gallons ,i would call
    that normal wear and tear.As for the engine block, you could epoxy the hole in so i wouldn't
    throw it away. i have used pc7 for a lot of engine aplications with great results.
    keep your arms and legs in the ride at all times
    and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have 10 crank cases this is a junk one. you can buy the case and bearings cheaper than just the beatings on eBay. the problem is that the bearing is not getting lubed at all as you can see the crank completely blocks the bearing and i know i cant be the only one with this problem. maybe that Byron fuel just spins the motor too fast i don't know. I'll try it as soon as i finish my engine load bank and let you know how it works. oh and the 12 gallons was with 3 motors/trucks and they all blew out the rear bearing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

12 gallons at $30 a gallon hmmm $360 on fuel alone!!!
    Losi 8ight, Losi XXX-T, Traxxas T-Maxx, Havoc Heli, Sharpshooter Heli

hervey bayaustralian best town ppfftt, AUSTRALIA
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No offence, and yea this is negative feedback, but what your trying to do is pretty much pointless.
    Did these engines sieze from lack of lube ? No , then dont waste your time.
    My 3.3 engines have not had these issues.
    Even though you might think the gap is tiny, fuel oil does get back there every run, or, the bearing would get glowing red hot and sieze first hard run or cause so much resistance from oversizing cause the engine to shudder to a stop, and you would then find metal shards right through the engine.
    Congratulations though, on having enough nouse to have a go, and post as well.
    Good on ya for trying.l love to see people by-pass the $$$ mods and do it them self. Like wheely bars etc.
    Really hope you get lucky here, but l dont like the odds.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

super stud thanks for doing the math now i feel much better about this hobby. lol
    as far as the engine seizing no the engine did not seize but the bearing was so poorly lubed that they would fail on an average of 1 to 1.5 gallons and i just took my motors apart and you can take the total to 10 bearings i used this year. when they come out there is no oil on them at all the reason i can say that is they come out in several pieces. so no I'm not burning off the oil when i remove them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ever think that it might be the shaft. Hmmmmmm
    T-Maxx Fan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ever think that it might be the shaft. Hmmmmmm
    do you want to explain that a bit more thats kind of a vague responce. the shaft design or these 3 shafts i have or what?