Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-max or Revo for first Nitro Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Mishkam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-max or Revo for first Nitro Truck

I'm going to be buying my first Nitro truck in the next month or so and these are the two ive been looking at.

T-maxx 3.3 & Revo 3.3

I already have an E-maxx (3905) so going with the T-maxx I'd be familiar with the suspension parts, but from what I've read the Revo has more power out of the box.

So...

With theRevo being about 100 bucks more.. would it be better to get the t-maxx and put that extra 100 bucks into some performance parts to boost top speed or just go with the Revo out of the box?

opinions?
Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: T-max or Revo for first Nitro Truck

In ThunderbirdJunkie's opinion, there has not been a single reason to buy a T-maxx ever since the Revo was introduced.

The Revo is stronger, and a better handler. It's a little more expensive...get the Revo if these are the only two trucks you're considering.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:42 PM
derake

the revo is well worth the extra $100 for the handling alone.the maxx is a lot easier and more fun to work on andhaving two trucks with the same parts is nice. tough one better get both
Old 01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be able to interchange some parts if you smash one and want to run it that day still.Just not many.They use the same axles etc for exsample.
The Revo is a far better machine than the max.
The revo will land massive jumps with little [ wear and tear ] or no damage, where my max bit the dust.The max'es break rear mounts that hold the shocks on, more than once to me, so l class that as common, its gunna happen alot in big jumps. The revo is just a bird that failed to evolve wings ! LOL !

If you crash into a pole, lol dun that hahaha, and rip a wheel off, the ol max has smashed its upper and lower arm, and bent both the shocks.
If l did that on revo, which l aint yet, it would bust the upper and lower arms and a push rod,  but the shocks are safe, but $ savings in repairs.

The design of revo is in my opinion superior to all other MT's of its scale.
The movement in its suspension is greater of every MT in its scale class in the world.Out of the box.Short of unknown custom jobs.
Hell it even looks slicker.
You can tune the suspension more on revo.

After driving truggies and 1/10 onroad racers for years, the revo is a real leap farward in design, when a truggy takes on the suspension set up of revo, it would make for a revolutionary truggy, and l recon everyone would want one ! l do !

Get the revo for sure.
You might not drive max much after that but !
Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: piddlefootwhen a truggy takes on the suspension set up of revo, it would make for a revolutionary truggy, and l recon everyone would want one !
The Revo's suspension was not revolutionary. There have been several 1/10 buggies and 1/8 on road cars and a couple 1/10 on road cars that predated the Revo that used cantilevered inboard shocks.

It would prove far more beneficial in those cars (like the TA05 with the inboard shocks) than it is in a top-heavy-anyway monster truck. ThunderbirdJunkie believes the Revo would still be an excellent handling machine with conventionally mounted shocks.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:13 AM
RC Panda

If you're thinking of getting aftermarket parts... I personally think that the maxx has got it. But I rekon the Revo will be better
Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Pacific Rider

Revo has the longest suspension travel of any monster truck or truggy.
Revo all the way.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 PM
crazykat

Micro high roller [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Pacific Rider

Revo has the longest suspension travel of any monster truck or truggy.
Revo all the way.
Not to start a war, but would you care to substantiate that claim?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Got a revo thunder ?
Get anyother car and compare it, get back to us if you find one that has more travel.The world would like to know that.Traxxas claims also that they have the longest travel of any MT in its class or scale. Prove them wrong, publicly please !

If you dig deep enough you can get the distance, or if you have one you could just measure it, l just did my nitro one, its about 15cm give or take a cm , [was a rough measure], of movement top to bottom from axle hub. Bet you cant find one, out of an RTR box with more. Buggy or MT, 1/10th of the same scale.

The Most Suspension Travel
Revo architecture delivers the most suspension travel possible, tunable progressive damping rates, independent ride height adjustment, and the absolute highest level of control for any situation. The precision aluminum shocks are rigidly mounted to the chassis, protected from dirt, rocks, and crash damage. from der sight.

Revo's suspension was revolutionary, and the track record of the revo prooves it.Traxxas got it right.
They were the first to master its design.Design comes directly from formula one cars of years ago.

You can set the REVO up like a truggy, not so top heavy..........

And now lm off to drive em all !

Got 2 new lipo batteries for mini revo, 7.4v and a series harness ! See how they go against the 11.1v rhino. Just changed the spur ! have fun peoples !

Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Had a Revo. Also had a Maxx, and currently have Aftershock and two Savages.

The travel the Revo has is useless for jumping, because by the time it's done going upward, the bottom of the tire is above the skidplate. Also, you have to swap rockers to get that travel.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

Can you please share the oxygen your breathing ? Must be good stuff !
The long travel owns for jumps, all the crap you just said means nothing, in the real world mate, they have more leverage, more distance of travel, and they can absorb more energy than normal designed suspension before the chassis slaps the ground. All done through design of leverage around the rocker arms.
It is good that the bottom of the tyre goes higher than the chassis, want to know why, because you dont smash the ends of your shock out from impact landings, ie, you dont overload shocks or there mounts unless YOU put silly think oil in em. Other designs use the shock as the stopper , and the shock cops all the impacts, not a great design. You will note that some truggies also have wheels that when fully suspended , the bottom of the tyre is above the chassis plate or dead level , its for the jumps they do that. to save the shock absorbers.
The T-Max smashes shock mount towers from landings, because of the energy smashed though it, wont see a revo have that problem, ever.
Take the tyre of the rim on almost all truggy and you will find the bottom of the rim above the chassis plate when fully suspended, in the real world that saves the shocks because the tyre is soft you will find in real world use that the chassis takes the impact, usually with a slap''.
Ever wondered why they all do that ? Thats why.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:46 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Cool story, bro.

Guess that's why ThunderbirdJunkie's Savage breaks less parts and handles better than the Revo did.
Go figure.

ThunderbirdJunkie's point was that ALL trucks have travel that go above the skidplate, so any EXTRA travel is completely pointless. In SEVERE rough terrain, it may show a VERY slight advantage, but even then, you can't go fast enough on such surfaces to use it to your advantage. ThunderbirdJunkie also does not understand your hostility, piddlefoot.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

Hostility ?
You stated an untruth, the long travel is not useless for jumps.....

As for the savage comments, l could give you a parts bill for my savages, including the flux, that is 4 times the amount of my traxxas repairs, lve owned 2 nitro savages and 1 flux, l have 3 revos and a mini revo, and the traxxas is cheaper to maintain.So l guess its how rough you treat them and personal prefference......
for me....
5 diffs in flux alone ! In 2 or 3 weeks ! junk sry.l never do backflips on concrete or ever unless of a jump, so no standing diff torchure.
In all of the traxxas lve blown 1 diff, in the mini revo, actually did it yesterday with them 2 new lipo batteries, in series racing up a steep hill on tarmack, its going to cost me 14$ to fix ! l beat an inferno up that road and a hyper 7 all day till the diff failed. In mini revo ! hahaha they beat me with the nimh batts in parrallel.
It just started going zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, until it wouldnt drive no more, it didnt rip teeth of just ground em all down ! LOL !
Shoulda seen the black dust that fell out of the diff casing when l ripped it down yesterday.
Like graphite dust it was so fine !

The metal used in revos diffs is stronger than the metal used in HPI flux / savage diffs.
If you scrape the metal back on a traxxas revo diff, you will find a bronze colour, this metal is an alloy, unsure of the % of what metal to what, but you can do what l did, get a 3mm drill, and drill into one you've busted, this tells you instantly which metal is harder.
Guess what, traxxas diffs are stronger.

You will need a new drill bit for each test.
Both drill bits will be fried when you finish.
You wont drill through either, but watch which one shreds the most shards.
Its a good cheaptrick, try it. And if you have other brand diffs around try them too, and post even.

A savage that handles better than a revo ay, LOL, share em bud.........
Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: piddlefoot

Hostility ?
You stated an untruth, the long travel is not useless for jumps.....

As for the savage comments, l could give you a parts bill for my savages, including the flux, that is 4 times the amount of my traxxas repairs, lve owned 2 nitro savages and 1 flux, l have 3 revos and a mini revo, and the traxxas is cheaper to maintain.So l guess its how rough you treat them and personal prefference......
for me....
5 diffs in flux alone ! In 2 or 3 weeks ! junk sry.l never do backflips on concrete or ever unless of a jump, so no standing diff torchure.
In all of the traxxas lve blown 1 diff, in the mini revo, actually did it yesterday with them 2 new lipo batteries, in series racing up a steep hill on tarmack, its going to cost me 14$ to fix ! l beat an inferno up that road and a hyper 7 all day till the diff failed. In mini revo ! hahaha they beat me with the nimh batts in parrallel.
It just started going zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, until it wouldnt drive no more, it didnt rip teeth of just ground em all down ! LOL !
Shoulda seen the black dust that fell out of the diff casing when l ripped it down yesterday.
Like graphite dust it was so fine !

The metal used in revos diffs is stronger than the metal used in HPI flux / savage diffs.
If you scrape the metal back on a traxxas revo diff, you will find a bronze colour, this metal is an alloy, unsure of the % of what metal to what, but you can do what l did, get a 3mm drill, and drill into one you've busted, this tells you instantly which metal is harder.
Guess what, traxxas diffs are stronger.

You will need a new drill bit for each test.
Both drill bits will be fried when you finish.
You wont drill through either, but watch which one shreds the most shards.
Its a good cheap trick, try it. And if you have other brand diffs around try them too, and post even.

A savage that handles better than a revo ay, LOL, share em bud.........
Dude, what is your major malfunction? You get mad over factual statements?

When one is jumping a monster truck, what good is MORE TRAVEL where the bottom of the tire goes up further than the skidplate going to do you? It is not going any futher up, regardless of what you believe.
You turned this thread, single-handedly, into a WAT TRUK IS GUD thread, and that is exactly what should be avoided. We should present facts rather than opinions, because in all likelihood, the OP's opionion will differe with ours. You really need to learn to control yourself.
Anyway

ThunderbirdJunkie's Savage at ride height

ThunderbirdJunkie's Savage at full droop

ThunderbirdJunkie's Savage at full likely compression, IE when jumping and landing on flat ground

So, where, pray tell, is ThunderbirdJunkie going to see a benefit in the wheel going higher than the skidplate when he jumps the Savage? They can, but that's beside the point. Where is ThunderbirdJunkie going to see a benefit in more downtravel? This question applies to any truck.

Suspension travel should not be a sole decision maker in WAT TRUK IS GUD.

piddlefoot...your hostility has been noted in SEVERAL threads across RCUniverse. You really need to tone it down, man. If you want to start a WAT TRUK IS GUD thread, go to the general MT forum, and try to keep it civil.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

How am l hostile ?
We disagree is all.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Mishkam

Decided to go with the Revo.

Thanks for the input folks.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:56 PM
mxdubbs

You will deffinetly be happy with the revo!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 PM
MPevine11

+1 to revo...... i very much disslike HPI.

pics of the revo when you get some?!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
TheREVOnater

Landing lopsided and on one wheel.

the extra travel helps it cope a lot better
Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
MAXXMANIA

REVO. i have a s-maxx which is just like the t-maxx. REVO is way higher up on the scale in technology than the t-maxx. looks alot cooler when the body is off. and just plan bette rthan the t-maxx
Old 03-11-2010, 02:49 AM
llZer0

why no t-maxx 3.3 people dont like it or why??

I really like my t-maxx

Old 03-11-2010, 02:56 AM
snoking16

tmaxxes are great. The revo is just better. sorry
Old 03-11-2010, 03:27 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: snoking16