Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

E-Maxx running hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Metal_Maxx254

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Maxx running hot?

what could cause my E-Maxx to runn hot , after i run it my motors and batteries are really hot , (more than they are suppose to be), and theres no binding on my drivetrain, and i am running Traxxas series 3 power cell 7 cell hump packs.... any ideas?????????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18723.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1413697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60867.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1413698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33477.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1413699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26360.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1413700   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99983.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1413701  
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Mr Max Wheelie

Default RE: E-Maxx running hot?

i dont have any experience with electric but could it have anything to do with those insanely big/heavy tires.........i had the same ones on my 3.3 tmaxx and they sure made my engine work hard to turn them......just a thought
Old 04-07-2010, 10:49 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checkyour gearing, it sounds like the gearing is too tall. This will load the motor and make it hot, as well the high draw will heat the batteries.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Metal_Maxx254

yea the tires are big they are wider than the stock 4908 t-maxx 3.3. tires , i think they are for a savage xl, well whats a good gear ratio? i think its the orignal stock pinion gears on it, but not sure the size on the spur gear..... i will try my old rims/tires but i dont know , because i upgraded from the evx to the evx-2 esc so i could run the 8.4v nimh 7 cells.....
Old 04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
micheal150
My Feedback: (2)

Controlliner is correct on the gearing. If the gearing ratio is to high. It need to come down one to two teeth on the pinion and check temperature after each run to see if running cooler after gear change. If running gear ratio to low it will also run hot as well. Need to come up one to two teeth on the pinion and check the temperature again. Also how old are the batteries you have. After a while if the batteries goes bad it will start build resistance inside them and will be hard to provide power you need. When this happens it time for a new battery pack. Tire and wheel combination will also change your gear ratio as well. Choose wisely on tire and wheel selection. Check your roll out. There is formula on how to check this. Some of the how to in forums explain this, but don't remember which one does. You can do a search on it in the rc forums. Hope this help out any.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM
snoking16

with all that aluminum and those big tires it sounds like your over loading the system.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Metal_Maxx254

well the batteries are only 2 days old , i just bought them from hobbytown usa in austin , tx... well i put the stock wheels and tires back on and it ran alot cooler , the motors only got warm like they are supposed to but one of them still got hot then burned out dead completely...but these are the original titan 550's on this truck , i know it is several years old , i guess its time to go with the Traxxas power up of the Velineon 3500 motor and VXL-3s esc.... but if i go brushless , do i need to upgrade my transmission in any way, it is the original 3906
2-speed trans w/ hi/lo shift on the fly...
Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
rcslsafut

ya you killed it with those monsterous tire ( ha ha , get it ? )
i changed out the p.o.s motor's (550's) with a 775 titan.
its a cheap replacement , it work's very well. i get a little more
run time the power is good ,as good as it was new , or better!!
i would suggest instead of getting two velion system's (i have been told one wont cut it !!)
you should look into the mamba max from castle creations if you want to
go brushless. about 2200 kv range ,is what you want from what i have been told
and read. this is the system that traxxas uses for their brushless monsters ( e revo, e maxx )
Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
nitro stan

the tires are called big joes.
you want a 1/8th scale brushless system if you go that way, the twin VXL's will work but you have to have 2 systems to work right. 1 will run the truck but WILL BURN UP FAST

the mamba system you want is the mamba monster 2200kv system
Old 04-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Jgaff2

Yea but remember I think that he said he has the original E-maxx, 3906 that is two speed. I don't know if he would need to do any mods. or whatnot to the transmission. To MetalMaxx, perrsonnally I would look into that because I don't exactly know how it performs with two speed. Good luck on your new motor/brushless adventure though! I am also looking into brushless for my Emaxx!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Metal_Maxx254

well when one of my 550's burned out i was running my stock wheels/tires , Not my big joes... i have also been thinking about swapping to the 3905 chassis plate, because my 3906 is the late 2007 one with the widemaxx drivetrain , the same as the 3905 when it released...
Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Jgaff2

O.k. Just for some inspiration I am looking at a novak 5.5 for my emaxx it's a bit less expensive than the Mamba monster 2200