Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

looking for input from picco .26 owners!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 AM
haus4350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for input from picco .26 owners!!

got it narrowed down to either the max or the red dot. gonna use the new era mount. i want more power and performance than the stock 3.3, but i dont want to have to upgrade or constantly fix parts on the truck due to too much power. i read on one of the forums that the max is the biggest you can get without a bunch of headaches. can i run the traxxas clutch bell with either of these engines? (sorry for all the ?'s i am a noob and dont want to f up)

what other upgrades? i am guessing a wing to protect the new investment and a change in gearing.

any pics of your rides would be appreciated. interested in pics of the mount/ezstart/pipe and what it looks like with the body on.

thanks.!!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Mr Max Wheelie

Default RE: looking for input from picco .26 owners!!

hey buddy the red dot IMO is an amazing engine.......you can use the stock everything if you want to,header,pipe,ez start,clutch bell and clutch all work fine with some exceptions.......ez start is kinda weak to handle the compression this beast of an engine has,mine has over 2 gallons through it now and i still need to heat the engine with a heat gun and loosen the glow plug a tad  to get the ez start to turn it.....i never ran my picco with the stock clutch but i do know ppl who have and for the money u may as well upgrade....my MIP clutch is holding up with very little sign of wear so far.....changing the gearing and having the slipper set up rite SHOULD save all ur drive line......when i put my 54tooth spur on my maxx i have yet to break anything,but when i use my bashing gear 58tooth spur i can twist a stock rear drive shaft off in about 5 mins this is my fault tho not the trucks......i like my power to be rite there on a hair trigger so my slipper clutch is always tight........i run a tmaxx not a revo so pictures of my truck really arent gonna tell you much......but if you scroll down the page from this thread and go to thread that say something like "T MAXX PICS PLEASE'' mine is the yellow one on the first page!!.........any other questions feel free to ask me,if i cant answer rite off ill do my best to try and figure it out 4 you as my buddy has a revo with a picco also
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Jurgen1

Well i cant tell you much about this engine other then what i have read about it and its a great engine I just got mine yesterday i ordered the .26maxx and its going in my 4908 tmaxx the .26maxx and red dot are the same engines the only difference in the red dot is the crank has been massaged a little bit the red dot makes 2.7 vs 2.5 hp on the max the red dot revs a little higher too theres only $20 difference whatever you chose you cant go wrong .
Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Mclovin350z

I'm going with a 26 maxx in about 2 weeks, not because it's cheaper, but because I've heard and read that it's more reliable and tunes a bit easier. The red-dot obviously has the red putty in the crank, but it's also a 7 port. The max has 5. I'm not gonna sweat the 10% difference in power for my t-maxx, it'll still be double the power of a 3.3.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:40 PM
haus4350

just checked new era and they are out of stock of the mount i need!! great. couldnt find any on ebay either.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Mr Max Wheelie

what wrong with the OFNA mount? ive never heard anyone say anything bad about them!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Jurgen1

ORIGINAL: Mr Max Wheelie

what wrong with the OFNA mount? ive never heard anyone say anything bad about them!
alot of guys break them on the revo and the new era mount is stronger .

Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Omega4u
My Feedback: (9)

ofna mount sucks. cheap cast and screws strip constantly.the only other real option is the traxxas bb kit and it requires a bumpbox or modifyin the rear a-arm for a pullstart.get the maxx and take the money you would have spent on the red dot and get it drag modded and start upgrading your divelines
Old 04-25-2010, 02:16 PM
haus4350

looks like i will have to use an ofna mount until it breaks or until new era get some more. i will call new era tommorrow and see what they say.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:17 PM
haus4350

mr wheelie couldnt you take the ez start off and use a traxxas pull start if you wanted?? i am gonna be mad if i am trying to tune/run the revo and the ez start craps out!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Mr Max Wheelie

lol omega you sure a blunt fella arent you? no holding back!!!!.... i did not know that, lol thanx for setting the record strait, this must just be a problem with the ofna revo mount cause i have had no problem with the tmaxx mount and i take my engine off every couple days to clean my truck.......what do you mean by "drag modded'' ???? and i would NEVER i mean NEVER run a bump box,what a stupid set up that is.......ps i just called a friend of mine and he uses the OFNA mount for the revo and he has never had a problem with the holes stripping but he did say the screws do come loose a lot but thats what BLUE LOCTITE is for, which you should always be using anyways!!!........
ORIGINAL: Omega4u

ofna mount sucks. cheap cast and screws strip constantly.the only other real option is the traxxas bb kit and it requires a bumpbox or modifyin the rear a-arm for a pullstart.get the maxx and take the money you would have spent on the red dot and get it drag modded and start upgrading your divelines
Old 04-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Mr Max Wheelie

for sure you can friend!!!!...... i bought mine with a pull start,i broke it and put a traxxas pull start on instead of waiting for the ofna one to arrive......for the first 2 gallons i would and did only use pull start for the exact reason you you just stated
ORIGINAL: haus4350

mr wheelie couldnt you take the ez start off and use a traxxas pull start if you wanted?? i am gonna be mad if i am trying to tune/run the revo and the ez start craps out!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Omega4u

very blunt.iv only had one and it striped out so i never tried it again.if it works for your buddy great.the t-maxx cant use a bumpbox period so your shot at and lack of experience with them shows.check out rbmods.net,vodoo mods on rcu or abmods. they all do what they call a drag mod to the engines. they mod the cranks and sleeves to increase power you dont get from factory. all 3 do really nice work and are close in prices. cheezy starts pullstarts and owb are stupid.lol the bashers solution
Old 04-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Mclovin350z

Yeah the bump box is reliable, but I won't do it because I'm a basher, it's just not practical for me. OWB's and starter shafts willrob precious power from any engine.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Mr Max Wheelie

thanx omega ill look into that!! my experience with a bump box is NOT what i would call ''reliable'',last season at the track the one guy that used one missed 3 out of the 6 races he came to due to broken belts that run it......the other 3 races he was at we were waiting for him to get his box working(changing belts and hooking it up to his 1/1 scale car battery ect....) if i had to go through all that every time i wanted to start my truck id just  smash everything into little tiny pieces with a hammer and find another hobby!! [:@]
Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Omega4u

sure every starting system is gonna break/have problem. but to say they are stupid from second hand experiance sure isnt a helpful opinion.i got bumpboxes. one on a 12v gel cell and one with leads for a car batt.youv gotta carry round the cheezy start wand with that incredibaly underpowered motor,or a glow ignitorand drag your knuckles across the cooling head pullstarting.bumpboxes are great you set the truck on it and its a nice smooth start.plus you get rid of the owb and all the xtra mechanical crap weighin down your kit and freeing up more power. if you take care of your toys they take care of you. first hand experience is better than secondhand
Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a Picco .26 "Outlaw" Big Block for several years, and it was a killer powerplant.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:10 PM
haus4350

gonna prove i am a noob...what the hell is a bump box!?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Omega4u

nothing wrong with asking questions and not knowing. http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/cate...055&type=store
their price is rally steep.i just picked up the same one for under 50 bucks
Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Mr Max Wheelie

the bump box worx by spinning the fly wheel to start ur engine....they do work pretty slick when they work....omega what i am about to say is just my opinion......bump boxes are big bulky and heavy so if ur truck stalls you dont just run over and start it....u run over get your truck run back to ur bump box to restart.....to me this is not functional for where i play and actually seeing the guy that races at our track use his i wouldnt even bother.....if a bump box was the ONLY way i could start my truck id find a new hobby.......sorry again omega and no need to argue with me but IMO the bump box is a stupid set up,that being said tho i agree with the fact that using that method would free up some HP and would be lighter
Old 04-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Omega4u

no arguement. i can pickup what your layin down.i dont see how some of the tings you said were even relevant but if its not practical for you more power to ya.but you cant just dismiss it as stupid. i was just giving him options.some you dont have.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 AM
skrankz

ok, pardon my interjection but picco max .26  199$.. maxx 26 JL red dot 209$ + shipping on both parts.. same motor mount requirement.. how does 10$ USD translate to 100$ + to send it to mod.. and = savings?  Omega, I am NOT trying to incite you or flame you in any way.. btw who makes something heavier than the plastic center shafts for the revo 3.3... I am familiar with MIP, but seems that their center CVDs are on backorder... I am Torn between the axial .28 and the JL red dot, after all is said and done the picco just seems the better thing to assist me in my quest to make something that was already fast and make it go stupid fast..

Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 AM
RCCanuck

ORIGINAL: Iflyglow

I ran a Picco .26 ''Outlaw'' Big Block for several years, and it was a killer powerplant.
totally differant engine....
I have run the max for close to 10 gallons of fuel in a Tmaxx......Took an entire gallon before it was really broken in....carb leaked from new, OFNA mount lasted about 6 gallons before the mounting holes stripped. Other than that it is a great engine and still fires up and runs well.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Omega4u

valid point. i checked into what you said. and are correct the jl and maxx are the same price on alot of sites. i thought the jl was quite a bit more last time i was looking at it. so there isnt any mony for moding but still gonaa need to upgrade to cvd if you want more than 5 min of drive time. i knew iwasnt the only on the mount striped on and what did you use to seal your carb? i was told those engines were sealed from factory.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Mclovin350z

Axial engines are poor quality. Also I would love to see a .26 run after a 'drag mod', but what if it blows up after a few tanks or the air filter comes off etc? To me it's just not worth it, the .26 is a very powerful mill already. If you want shafts go straight to TRX and get their cvd's. They're top notch and have silicon boots to keep out the dirt. I run mip center cvd's on my revo but my sirio has broken the rear one twice in less than 2 gallons, plus they're exposed to the elements, so when they rust you get alot of wear and drag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.