Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 AM
jord_trx2.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems

i recieved my new trx 3.3 engine today, i was on the 1st tank of break in (never broke an engine in before) i checked where all the needles where by turining them in and counting them and then reset them, they where stock anyway but done it jus to make sure. it hadn been running 5mins i was doing the 1/4 throttle 2-3 senconds like traxxas says with it and noticed it was steam or smoke coming from the engine, it was boiling done the spit test and it just sizzled away, i dont understand why, it wasnt running 5mins. i stoped it straight away and put the piston to BDC, im waiting on a temp gauge to arrive in the post so im not going to run it again until it comes. do you think its done any damage to the new engine, why do ou think it was hot so soon ?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 AM
thechap76
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: problems

hey jord ur runnin WAY to lean man...give that thing sum fuel man...lol...richen both needles the lsn and the hsn...just a lil at a time...dont go all nuts on it thou...the engine is prolly fine do sweat it just yet but this is y a temp gun is so important....richen it up and keep on doin ur break in ...pay close attention to the temps...keep us informed
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 AM
jord_trx2.5

thanks for the reply mate. the needles are stock, hsn 4 turns out and lsn is flush,i didnt think it could be lean at those settings. im not going to run it again now until i have the temp reader just to worrited im gonna fry it like my last engine lol, just hope now i havent done any damage and it wont do any damage by leaving it a few days after startin the break in, although the petrol tank has hardly moved it was running like 3-5 mins
Old 07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
thechap76

i cant gurantee anything but im gonna hope its ok...u couldnt of run it too long... factory settings are just a starting point...theres too mant variables to say that one setting is right for all conditions and climates...espically if its really hot there in the uk...here in the states its been pretty warm where i am its 95 today and alotta humidity...when its this warm i try not to even get mine out...was u breakin it in on grass..that will alson make the engine work a lil harder and cause higher engine temps...good luck man...jason
Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 PM
maxxin2.5

i always thought first tank was idling it the whole time?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:12 PM
thechap76

that is what traxxas says...i think they say 2 tanks and to let it cool inbetween...but i donno if sumthing is differejt in the uk because of climate or whatever...so i didnt say anything...i guess my assumption was he watched the video that should of come with the 3.3
Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM
jord_trx2.5

i watched the official traxxas trx 3.3 break in video on youtube. watched squirrels video on break in to and theyr very simular, sqirrel says its not good to let it idle for a tank. as for the wether here its never hot in the uk lol, it was about 18 deg c. i think
Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 AM
jord_trx2.5

what do you guys think, are you supposed to leave it idle for the first tank of break in ??
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
ajb1205

I wouldn't but it's your engine. I've broke-in 4 engines (2 Traxxas and 2 OS) using the Traxxas method and have no complaints. As long as you follow the book, and then if you do have issues, you can then tell Traxxas you followed their recomendation.