RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   T-maxx upgrades? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/10308506-t-maxx-upgrades.html)

mkruse 02-02-2011 08:36 PM

T-maxx upgrades?

I have a T-maxx that I just found again after not running it for almost five years. I lost nearly everything for it so I went and got a Spectrum remote, put a revo exhaust on it, and a revo steering servo since my friend had some spare parts laying around. I have it running great but I want to upgrade some of the parts on it. I dont know what there is out there for it but I want to lengthen the chasis if possible, and make it a wider truck. Also I want to make some of the major parts more rigid. Please give me some input on what you guys have done for yours and what has made the biggest impact. Ill post some pics when I start getting upgrades.

The_Shark 02-02-2011 08:41 PM

RE: T-maxx upgrades?

rpm arms, rpm towers, install bulkhead braces.

mkruse 02-02-2011 08:43 PM

How much did those parts help for you? also is there a center diff kit like there is for the revo, I landed on my hood quite a few times today when running? lol

The_Shark 02-02-2011 08:53 PM

havent broken anything yet, and it takes out alot of slop and adds rigidity.

mkruse 02-02-2011 08:58 PM

I looked them up and saw that they are plastic, how much more ridgid are they than the stock ones

DEKUM510 02-02-2011 09:05 PM

Stock ones have a tendency to break. RPM's bend and snap back.

378 02-03-2011 08:44 AM

Rigid isn't a good thing for a backyard basher. You want your arms to be able to flex and snap back like the RPM ones will. This way they absorb a hit instead of shattering. Or bending, in the case of an aluminum one.

tphill 02-03-2011 09:08 AM

Everything on th t-maxx is upgradable.  A commor guide is metal down the middle and plastic  on the corners.  This usually refers to aluminum bulks, chassis braces and shock towers, and plastic a-arms.
Lengthening the chassis can be done a couple of ways.  First, get a stock 3.3 chassis or aftermarket 'big block' chassis if yours is the 2.5 size.  Second, get a monoblock extension from UE.  With the first option, you will also need chassis braces, extended rear shaft and skid plate.  With the second option, only the extended rear shaft would be required.
For widening, if you have the original narrow .15 model, you would need the 2.5 or 3.3 arms, shafts, steering linkages and turnbuckles, and if you go with the 3.3 shafts, you will also need the axel carriers and bearings.  If you already have the 2.5 or 3.3, you could widen with offset wheels.

The_Shark 02-03-2011 11:14 AM

i would not install any aluminum other than bulkheads, and unless they are a high end set, those will break. and aluminum skid supports may also be a good idea.

DO NOT get aluminum body supports!

i also suggest keeping the narrow track, its tougher, lighter and in my opinion, handles better- you can use that body lean to your advantage roll, dip and goose.

and if you have a pro .15 scrap it and get a picco .15 or dynamite .19 i would suggest wearing out the .15 before you replace it.

mkruse 02-03-2011 05:52 PM

So far I've found the RPM arms, integy bulk heads and integy shock towers? What else would be a good idea and what steering servo do you guys use on your trucks because my servo hardly wants to turn the tires when im sitting still

The_Shark 02-03-2011 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: mkruse

So far I've found the RPM arms, integy bulk heads and integy shock towers? What else would be a good idea and what steering servo do you guys use on your trucks because my servo hardly wants to turn the tires when im sitting still
go to hobbypartz and pick up a digital, metal gear, coreless, high torque and speed servo, it will WHIP your tires back and forth with great power, all for $15;)

mkruse 02-03-2011 06:20 PM

how much torque should I be looking for?

mkruse 02-03-2011 06:24 PM

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60gexidise.html     I found this one but I am not quite sure if it will work well? Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Mclovin350z 02-04-2011 05:55 AM

Fast lane machine bulkheads, rpm towers, true track + a-arms, lunsford pins, aluminum chassis braces, pullstart, servos, 5 cell hump pack and 3034 switch, engine, clutch and ths pipe / header combo......for starters.

The_Shark 02-04-2011 05:25 PM

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60gexidise.html I found this one but I am not quite sure if it will work well? Thanks for the replies guys!!!
thats it, only i have a 227version, faster, lesss torque.

its a great servo, dont let the price fool you.

mkruse 02-05-2011 05:41 PM

Well I was running it today and I ended up only having two wheel drive at the end of the day, stripped my rear differential. Does great burnouts though now!!!

The_Shark 02-05-2011 05:57 PM

Well I was running it today and I ended up only having two wheel drive at the end of the day, stripped my rear differential. Does great burnouts though now!!!
how did ya do that?

rooker 02-05-2011 05:57 PM

Did the same thing last week, but only had front wheel drive. That is not all that fun.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sappointed.gif Diff's are pretty cheap.

mkruse 02-05-2011 06:18 PM

It was pretty cool seeing how much my front tire balloons out when its spinning, I only had front wheel drive too, gets stuck a lot easier. I put the front differential in the rear so instead of front wheel drive its rear, until my new diff comes in...

rooker 02-05-2011 07:24 PM

that was a smart thing to do, I just got mad and went in the house!!!!!

mkruse 02-05-2011 09:50 PM

I was mad that mine broke too, I was having fun jumping ruts and stuff in all of the sand, now I have to wait for next week for the parts to come in, I got a new diff, an upgraded servo, the traxxas 2070 and an aluminum bulk head, I cant wait for it all to be in and to go drive again, and what oil should I put in my diffs

Mclovin350z 02-06-2011 12:17 AM

Hopefully you got the newer style diff, and not the one that came with it originally. The older ones do not take oil and are weak. You would need a complete unit with the housing.

mkruse 02-06-2011 07:51 AM

Oh.... looks like I screwed up, what housing would I need. When I took my diff apart it was filled with thick grease but that was it.

Mclovin350z 02-06-2011 09:36 AM

Either one will work, but a good upgrade is to use one from a newer t-maxx, model #'s 4908, 4907, and maybe 4909,not 100% sure about the 4909.

The_Shark 02-06-2011 12:21 PM

if your doing any off road like that, make sure you put some slip in the trans, hold the truck and jam on the gas, it should slip at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. the spur will spin, but the trans wont.