RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   towing? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/10963112-towing.html)

afterburner 02-17-2012 08:10 AM

towing?

Trying to get some info on using an electric setup to do some towing. I go to a few jet rallies during the summer and we usually can store our jets when they are assembled in a hangar so we don't have to re-assemble them every day during the rally. I'm looking for something that can tow jets that weigh up to 35lbs but in reality probably only need a pound or two of pull as the jets are on their gear. It only needs to pull for a few hundred feet at walking speed on concrete. Looking for some suggestions on a RTR setup if that even exists. A friend who has done this has used an emax modified with two motors in series and two batteries in parallel. I'm just wondering if there is something a bit simpler. Thanks.

LaTuFu 02-17-2012 08:31 AM

RE: towing?

The 1:10 Traxxas Summit will definitely handle that easily. Put it in low gear and away you go.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g7U-hyfVu8[/youtube]

afterburner 02-17-2012 08:42 AM

Wow, yeah that would work although it's a little pricey in the $550.00 range. I know you get what you pay for though. Anything that can pull half as many kids for a little less money that won't burn up after a few pulls?:D

LaTuFu 02-17-2012 08:47 AM

A used Summit...

t9dragon 02-17-2012 11:42 AM

Even thought Traxxas might call the Summitt 1/10, it is 1/8..

cummins driver 02-24-2012 10:49 AM

Are you on flat ground? Always on pavement?

If you are on flat pavement and you want something cheap, a 2wd Stampede with some better gripping back tires and 12/90 gearing should work perfectly. Here is my old stampede completely stock with stock gearing and a 19 turn motor (slower than a titan motor) pulling my savage:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDCrXr-Er5c[/youtube]

The first pull I just nailed the throttle. The 2nd pull I just rolled into it. You can see how fast it got that 13lb savage moving.

Also, here is a guy pulling his son with one. You can see it does fine on concrete, but off road it has issues.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbgjEeBylg0[/youtube]

Now, if you are going to be going up any hills or on grass/dirt, the stampede probably wont be able to keep traction. If that is the case, I would reccomend a decent used e-maxx. You can pick them up around $200 or less and it will have no issues in stock form other than smaller pinions.

You simply dont need a $600 summit to pull 35 pounds on wheels.

LaTuFu 02-24-2012 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

You simply dont need a $600 summit to pull 35 pounds on wheels.
Thanks, Captain Buzzkill

:D

cummins driver 02-24-2012 11:04 AM

Sorry:)

He said he was looking for something simple and cheap though, and the stampede is tried and true :D

Heck I have a stampede im probably going to sell soon. If afterburner wants me to, ill stick a 12t pinion on it and hook it to a couple of my MT's out on blacktop and make a video to show how it does[8D]

LaTuFu 02-24-2012 11:08 AM

Ha!  It's all good.  I really didn't even think about the pede.  As soon as he said "tow" the Summit was my first thought.

cummins driver 02-24-2012 11:10 AM

The summit would be good at towing with its extra low 1st gear, but stuff on wheels is a lot easier to pull so you can get by with less [8D]

afterburner 02-24-2012 11:21 AM

Thanks for the alternative CD. I have a little longer to think about it. The Summit does look like a lot of fun though the little research I've done since LTF suggested it seems that it does a little of everything but doesn't exceed in one area. I do like it's all weather capabilities as that could be fun at the rallies when it's raining and there's no flying going on. Thanks again.

Marty

cummins driver 02-24-2012 11:33 AM

The summit is definately a nice truck and will do what you are asking. ;)

Also if you are looking into spending that kind of money, the stampede, stampede 4x4, and E-Maxx are all good options that are waterproof and will do what you are asking. [8D]

afterburner 02-24-2012 01:06 PM

So for a stock E-Maxx, which pinion would you suggest? Thanks.

Marty

pyromatic177 02-24-2012 01:11 PM

would that be brushed or brushless?

cummins driver 02-24-2012 01:55 PM

Im figuring he is talking brushed.

You really wouldnt have to change pinions honestly, but it would be best if you were mainly pulling with it. Id go with something like 12 or 13t pinions.

Also, you can add a 2 speed kit to the e-maxx. Its about $45, but if you wanted the ability of an ultra low gear (same as the summit), and then your normal high range, that would be an option as well.

TheKennyKiller 02-24-2012 04:36 PM

If you want a monster truck get the E-Maxx... No wait scratch that, get an E-Revo... But if you want something that will tow your plains around with ease and be easy to control with the low gear and look cool at the same time then get the Summit. Out of the three the Summit is not much more then the brushed versions and it's cheaper then the brushless versions , it's also better for the application then both of them no matter what version. Side note, the Stampede might be able to do the job but it's no where near the truck that the Summit is. I would rather have just one Summit then a whole fleet of Stampedes.

PTERODACTYL 02-24-2012 04:56 PM

I think what he needs is a scale airplane tow vehicle.[8D]

TheKennyKiller 02-24-2012 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: PTERODACTYL

I think what he needs is a scale airplane tow vehicle.[8D]
Now that is a good idea but you can't just go out and buy one of those. BTW Pterodactyls are pterrifying.

1320Fastback 02-24-2012 05:55 PM

What about a crawler? They are already geared to go at a walking pace and have Tons-O-Torque.

Of course with a home made tin tug body!

pyromatic177 02-24-2012 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

If you want a monster truck get the E-Maxx... No wait scratch that, get an E-Revo... But if you want something that will tow your plains around with ease and be easy to control with the low gear and look cool at the same time then get the Summit. Out of the three the Summit is not much more then the brushed versions and it's cheaper then the brushless versions , it's also better for the application then both of them no matter what version. Side note, the Stampede might be able to do the job but it's no where near the truck that the Summit is. I would rather have just one Summit then a whole fleet of Stampedes.
Thumbs up to that Kenny. You Wanna sweet MT=E-revo. But i really think in this situation that the SUMMIT would be the best hands down. And it look good as it does it's jobhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

And the summit is a crawler, so yeah another reason why it would fit the billhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif
<br type="_moz" />

cummins driver 02-24-2012 11:33 PM

Heck If you are going overkill, might as well get a savage flux. The flux would outpull the summit and then do a standing backflip at 30mph as it was driving off. :D The flux could be a little hard to control at low speeds though while towing.

The reason i reccomended the stampede was because at first he was looking for something simpler, and cheaper than the summit. If he has now come around to spending big money that opens up some other options. I just hate to see someone who is looking for something simple and cheap buy a $500+ truck when a $180 truck will do the job just fine. Hence my reccomendation.

As for rather having a summit than a stampede. Obviously most people would, but it depends on what you are doing. A VXL stampede is a blast and will take a beating. A stock summit is pretty lethargic and is only really going to be fun in technical offroad terrain. If you are out on an open airfield, there isnt much you can do with a stock summit, and something like a VXL stampede would provide much more entertainment in that environment IMO.

TheKennyKiller 02-25-2012 01:17 AM

Don't get a Savage... It might tip over and ruin one of your planes.

afterburner 02-25-2012 07:59 AM

Do you think the vxl stampede could handle the job? Again, it would be pulling for about a minute at walking speed. I like the stampede in terms of its speed capabilities but it's not worth it if I'm going to smoke the motor or esc. Nothing worse than the smell of silicon burning.[:@]

Marty

pyromatic177 02-25-2012 10:30 AM

Yeah it should do it. I would just gear it kinda low

cummins driver 02-25-2012 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Do you think the vxl stampede could handle the job? Again, it would be pulling for about a minute at walking speed. I like the stampede in terms of its speed capabilities but it's not worth it if I'm going to smoke the motor or esc. Nothing worse than the smell of silicon burning.[:@]

Marty
Yes, the VXL would be good. You may end up wanting some better tires that grip better, but it also may be fine with the stockers. Might just want to try it before you spend the money on tires.

Id say buy a 12 tooth pinion for the truck. Take it with you and run it stock and do your normal pulling with it. Then if the esc or motor is warm, swap the 12t pinion on for when you are pulling. Then when you just want to go play put the stock pinion back on.

In all honesty though, if you are only pulling say a minute at a time you shouldnt have any problems with the bone stock setup. If the ESC gets warm there is also a fan kit they make for it which would have you in good shape[8D]

phmaximus 02-26-2012 02:22 AM

Something cheap... tamiya Doubble blaze/wild dagger/twin detenator
or a HBX bonzer. crosstiger.... both of these with minor mods u can fit a HPI gear reduction unit to...

those HPI GRU fit 90% of cars out there.....

If it was me i would be looking at a

Tamiya R/C 1/14 SCANIA R620 6x4 HIGHLINE
Tamiya 1/14 King Hauler Tractor

OR........

John deere toy grade tractor and upgrade it...

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Ertl-RC-John-...T0w~~60_12.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/NEW-Remote-Co...v9Q~~60_12.JPG

afterburner 06-02-2012 05:08 AM

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to thank you for all the advice. I ended up with the Stampede VXL and was at a jet rally two weeks ago and it performed great in stock form with the stock battery. I'll eventually get a a li-po for it when not towing to rip it up in the backyard. Thanks again.

Marty

cummins driver 11-12-2012 08:11 PM

For some reason I forgot to reply to this when you posted it and somehow just now ran back across it:D Anyways, glad to hear the stampede is working well for you! I was sure it would do what you needed it to do and is really quite a bang for the buck and fun to drive as well.

Eric