RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Good Higher performance steering servo for Maxx (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/1667596-good-higher-performance-steering-servo-maxx.html)

KingSalomon 03-28-2004 01:33 PM

Good Higher performance steering servo for Maxx

What are some good drop-in high torque steering servos that are compatible with the Traxxas radio?

R/C Madman 03-28-2004 01:45 PM

RE: Good Higher performance steering servo for Maxx

1 Attachment(s)
Hitec HS-645MG Ultra Torque; 133 oz/in at .18 sec $52 big ones!

T 2 the Max 03-28-2004 03:23 PM

I got one of those coming this week (645MG) :)

G35Coupe 03-28-2004 03:29 PM

I bought the Hitec 645MG for $40 from my LHS but it had horrible centering problems. It just wouldnt go back. Im running the JR Z590 for now until I make my next order at Tower and spring for the Airtronics Servo...Forget the model number tho...935 something or I dunno.

jefx 03-28-2004 03:41 PM

Yup, the 645 has some centering issues. It's a high-torque servo at a bargain price and is not a top shelf servo. It is an awesome steering upgrade if you're looking for something inexpensive. I run one and have no complaints. It doesn't always center perfectly but it's hardly noticeable, especially if you're using a servo saver. I tried it once as my throttle/brake servo, but the centering issue became even more of an issue at that location since it wouldn't always close the carb fully.
Unless you're a die hard racer with deep pockets looking for the ultimate performance in a servo, the 645 is a good and inexpensive choice.

bjadams 03-28-2004 07:57 PM

I just put in a JR Z650M in my T-Maxx & it's awesome. It turns the wheels on my table & tile floor (not carpet tho). Centering is great, power is awesome. Overall, I'm very happy, it greatly improved my steering. I had heard of too many Hitec's with centering problems & didn't want to pay for the Airtronics so I tried this JR. I couldn't be happier.

Specs at 6 volts:
Torq = 142
Speed = .17
Gears = Metal
Ball Bearings = none, but it's smooth & has a 3 year warranty
Servo Saver = my stock one mounted right up to it.
Price = $50 at Hobbytown

One note, I had to reverse my steering channel so be prepared for that.

bjadams

Drunkpunk082 03-29-2004 01:40 AM

I also use a hitec 645mg servo in my almost Stock T-maxx. Seems to work pretty well. I paid $35 for mine brand new. I also run a JR z590m Servo on my show max. It works wonderfully and turns the wheels with plenty of torque. The only suggestion I have is to go with a proline steering kit or at the very least a Kimborugh $6 servo saver if you put in any hi-torque servo. It will make a world of difference in high speed cornering.

Check out my site for a few pics of my cars with the servos!

[link=http://drunkpunk082.rchomepage.com/forum]Drunken R/C[/link]

-Peace

vtraudt 03-29-2004 02:28 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but we are only into RC since a few weeks. We have 2 Emaxx, one is the old, narrow one but with a RPM kit (14.5 inches wide) and Hitec HS 645 MG, the other is a new "Wide" (16") with the stinking Traxxas 2055.

Now comes the ignorance:

a) what are servo savers, how do they look like, and what are they supposed to do?

b) Assuming that both of our Emaxx are stock in this respect (I am sure the "wide" is stock), what would a a proline steering kit (or Kimborough servo saver) do/improve/change?

c) Same assumption as above: do we have servo savers installed on our emaxxs?

d) I noticed on the one Emaxx equipped with the Hitec, that once I release the steering wheel, they do not fully return on their own to the zero position, particularly when returning from one side. I thought there is an issue with "binding" somewhere in the steering linkage, and backed off the 2 scres on each wheel that clamp the balls of the axle carrier?

e) What forces the servos to return to their zero position? Springs? If the Hitec does not return (Will take the linkage off the round disc on the servo so eliminate the possibility of binding (see above), is the spring weakening? Does it need lubrication/cleaning? Is there any maintenance needed on the servos?

All help/suggestions/tips are welcome, even if they sound obvious (don't forget: NEWBY).

Thanks.

Volker

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Drunkpunk082

I also use a hitec 645mg servo in my almost Stock T-maxx. Seems to work pretty well. I paid $35 for mine brand new. I also run a JR z590m Servo on my show max. It works wonderfully and turns the wheels with plenty of torque. The only suggestion I have is to go with a proline steering kit or at the very least a Kimborugh $6 servo saver if you put in any hi-torque servo. It will make a world of difference in high speed cornering.

Check out my site for a few pics of my cars with the servos!

[link=http://drunkpunk082.rchomepage.com/forum]Drunken R/C[/link]

-Peace

jefx 03-29-2004 02:40 PM

Servo savers protect the servo gears from stripping. It is a spring loaded servo horn which screws right onto the servo, and you screw your steering linkage right onto it. It absorbs impact from big bumps or crashes instead of having all the impact go right to the servo gears. Most trucks come with them stock.

The Hitec 645 servos have centering issues. It is a budget high torque servo and so they aren't as perfect as higher end servos. There is nothing you can do for it short of buying a different servo. I think all 645's do that.

GVFD29 03-29-2004 02:48 PM

My 645 seems to be alright. I will probably replace it with a higher torque servo anyway.

jefx 03-29-2004 03:11 PM

The 645 doesn't have enough torque for you? Instead of getting a new servo, try a stiffer servo saver. Without a servo saver, my 645 will turn my Big Joes on carpet, how much more torque do you need?

G35Coupe 03-29-2004 04:14 PM

Yea i definitely agree. That 645MG definitely needs a reworking HiTec! They should fix it so it actually does the job its supposed to and if needed maybe charge $5 more for it to cover costs.

I personally will never by a 645MG again. I bought the thing when I was new to the hobby and I figured I had done something wrong in putting it in. IT DROVE ME NUTS FOR DAYS!! Then track day came around and everyone said take it back because its garbage and go buy one by futaba, airtronics, JR or try Hitecs upper end products.. I just bought a new reciever JRXS3 Synthzed and it came with the Z590 and another servo i dont use.

GVFD29 03-29-2004 04:26 PM

I do more bashing than straight driving, probably why I hav'nt noticed anything

Project_2501 03-29-2004 04:39 PM

would it work for me is im always tinkering w/ the steering making corrections, never going straight? even if it is straight im tweaking it to set up to make the next turn more effectivley and setting up for the turn after it.

jefx 03-29-2004 04:52 PM

If you want a precise servo for racing, then don't get the Hitec 645. If you want a tough, cheap ($35 at my LHS), high torque servo for general bashing, then the 645 is a good choice.

Project_2501 03-29-2004 05:01 PM

alright, im gonna get it when i get some more cash. and when i get my t-maxx, lol. i dont need a precise one, only one that wont break or strip the gears (has metal, right?) and one that will turn tires anywhere. at any speed.

my lhs has a small dirt coruse set up as a road course w/ obstacles and jumps. if anyone is near Dartmouth Ma. its C&C hobby shot, the owner is Charlie.

jefx 03-29-2004 05:06 PM

The 645 does have metal gears, and the one I have has been very durable (but not the most precise). I ran it for some time without a servo saver, 'cause I wanted to be able to get all that torque to the ground. It never stripped, even in some very bad landings. I got tired of replacing stripped servo horns, they would strip out way before the servo had a chance to. So yes, it is a very durable, cheap, and powerful steering servo.

Project_2501 03-29-2004 05:09 PM

k, so im gonna get the 645 by hitec and a servo saver, by who tho?

G35Coupe 03-29-2004 05:20 PM

Kimbrough heavy duty

Project_2501 03-29-2004 05:32 PM

alright, thanks a lot guys. now, which one of these is it? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&C=CMA&V=KIM

Project_2501 03-29-2004 05:38 PM

and which one of these will work in a t-maxx w/o any splicing at all? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...MG&FVPROFIL=++

G35Coupe 03-29-2004 05:38 PM

Hmmm.....all of those look different than the ones at my lhs. The ones there are pink with the part that connects to your steering arm looking like a triangle kinda..but not really...however the LXS362 should work since it says for Hitec.

Project_2501 03-29-2004 05:46 PM

alright, thx on the saver, now what about the servo?

jefx 03-29-2004 05:52 PM

The LXS361 is the one I have I think. It's black and came with the 3 different servo adapters.

jefx 03-29-2004 05:56 PM

As far as the servo, the LXUZ90 looks to be the correct one. The plug looks exactly like the plug on mine and fits directly into the reciever.