RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   OS vs TRX (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/5986080-os-vs-trx.html)

HARC_PT 06-14-2007 07:36 AM

OS vs TRX

Hi!
After 12 liters of fuel my TRX 2.5R died... [&o]
Now i'm thinking on buy a new engine... I'm not very happy with traxxas carb and it seems that the TRX 3.3 have the same carb as the TRX 2.5R... Is the TRX 3.3 so hard to tune as the TRX 2.5R... How is it hold's the tune?
I'm a beginner and i'm not a racer, so, anyone can say to me what should be my best choice: TRX 3.3 or OS.18TM?
Best regards
HARC

cujoman 06-14-2007 07:57 AM

RE: OS vs TRX

both are good but definitely go with the o.s. tm ... much more power and keeps a tune better! enjoy
how were you running the 2.5R that it only lasted you 12 ltrs? were you running lean? my friend did that and it only lasted him 1 gallon.

Berlina 06-14-2007 08:00 AM

;)
I have killed TWO trx 3.3 engines.

I just replaced the last one with a O.S. .18tm, & I love it.....More power & easier to tune.

ttoks 06-14-2007 08:16 AM

and the O.S is cheaper, has an excellent track recored, plenty of people running them to get tech support from, and about the same power as a trx 3.3, direct drop it as well, it uses the same engine mount, pipe and header as the TRX engines, and it is ez start ready, so you can just bolt the ez start on the back and go.

HARC_PT 06-14-2007 10:42 AM

This is my story:

I was thinking not to run for a while my REVO 2.5R , so, i used a little more WD40 than usual to prevent any rust… it passed one month and when i take it to run… i’ve noticed the WD40 were out from the front bearing… since that day it begin to be harder than it was to start… i’ve replaced the front bearing and then it starts to run… 3 minutes later it stalls… with so many times i've used the ez-start is motor died… i replaced the ez-start motor for a new one and the engine still not run longer than 3 minutes… it seems that my piston and sleeve were out… i’ve tried to squeeze my sleeve… Wrong!!! I’ve damaged it forever…

I dont understand how it really died so soon… my temps never passed 110º C… guess it was me and my beginner knowledge…

Now, because of the price of the new piston/sleeve kit i’m thinking on buy a new engine… There’s no need to be faster… I only want one that lasts more time than 2.5R and that is more easy to tune.

LSTVega28 06-14-2007 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: HARC_PT

Hi!
After 12 liters of fuel my TRX 2.5R died... [&o]
Now i'm thinking on buy a new engine... I'm not very happy with traxxas carb and it seems that the TRX 3.3 have the same carb as the TRX 2.5R... Is the TRX 3.3 so hard to tune as the TRX 2.5R... How is it hold's the tune?
I'm a beginner and i'm not a racer, so, anyone can say to me what should be my best choice: TRX 3.3 or OS.18TM?
Best regards
HARC
Wow, new topic lol! Go for the O.S!

HARC_PT 06-18-2007 10:54 AM

I know there's alot of threads around here talking about this, but... Anyone else?

Like i said, my 2.5R sleeve were damaged ... but the remaining parts of the engine are as new... I'll keep them for spares... But... In what engines (3.3 or .18TM) should i be hable to use those good parts of the old engine 2.5R?

Can i use the 2.5R header on a .18TM? How many parts and what parts of the 2.5R engine can i use on the .18TM or TRX 3.3?

jkdv8 06-18-2007 11:05 AM

O.S.

DaveG55 06-18-2007 11:05 AM

You can use all of the external parts (clutch, starter, pipe, mounts, etc) from the 2.5 on either the 3.3 or the TM. I think that the carb from the 2.5 will fit the 3.3 too. Other than that I don't think any internal parts are interchangable. If you want to rebuild the 2.5 you can order parts fairly cheaply off e-bay but even though the rest of the parts may look new they are certainly goint to have some wear so don't assume that they are ok.
If I were you I'd just get a TM. It's a very powerful, reliable engine.

GETITON1 06-18-2007 03:31 PM

O.S. All the Way!!!!!!I really like mine.:)

danker17 06-18-2007 06:29 PM

hey for those that own an OS what are the stock settings for break in supposed to be please? anyone. i did the heat clycle break in but when i was done 1.8 tanks i checked the HSN and it was 4 turns out...?

DaveG55 06-18-2007 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: danker17

hey for those that own an OS what are the stock settings for break in supposed to be please? anyone. i did the heat clycle break in but when i was done 1.8 tanks i checked the HSN and it was 4 turns out...?
I don't remember them offhand but they are in the manual that came with the engine

HARC_PT 06-19-2007 10:36 AM

... i need more information!!! :D

pinky2252s 06-19-2007 12:48 PM

i have the manual is says the old only like 1/4 throttle for the first tank and then 1/2 for the second and so on:D

6speednissan 06-19-2007 01:11 PM

Does the os feel a lot stronger than the 3.3? I want to upgrade my 3.3, but I don't want to buy the same power you know what I mean? There is nothing wrong with my 3.3, but I want more.

pinky2252s 06-19-2007 01:14 PM

ya i was racing on road at my hobby town and i kicked he well tuned 3.3"s butt with my os .18tm but that was just my experience its a little faster yes

DaveG55 06-19-2007 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: 6speednissan

Does the os feel a lot stronger than the 3.3? I want to upgrade my 3.3, but I don't want to buy the same power you know what I mean? There is nothing wrong with my 3.3, but I want more.
Then you need to be looking at a different engine than the TM. The 3.3 and the TM are very similar in performance unless you look at the modded TM.
For more power you need to look at the Picco .26 Maxx or the RB engines or just go to a big block.

HARC_PT 07-12-2007 07:44 AM

... still looking advice for what to choose... :)

Beasley1 07-12-2007 08:19 AM

Picco .26 maxx. Cant go wrong with that. More power = more fun. Its just enough. ;)

mistercrash 07-12-2007 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: 6speednissan

Does the os feel a lot stronger than the 3.3?
I would say it does. I rearranged stuff on my Revo 3.3 to bring more weight to the front and put the extended arms to keep it from wheelying. I almost have 50% of the weight to the front. It worked with the TRX 3.3. That engine couldn't make my Revo wheely even by leaning it to the point where it would be harmfull to the engine. Now I upgraded to the 18TM and even with slightly rich settings, it makes my truck wheely from a stand still. It is also better at keeping a constant temp, less prone to air leaks at the carb and can idle for ever. I like it a lot.

NitroVenom 07-12-2007 12:21 PM

Go to youtube an look up some vids with the os 18tm. You'll see that the O.S. has better low end then the 3.3. I've heard stories of O.S. 18tm's that haven't been started for 6 months and still start right up and held the same tune from 6 months before. I Just put the more powerful tz in my truck not to long ago.

HARC_PT 08-01-2007 03:54 AM

I was decided to buy me an OS .18TM... but my online store dont have it... only have the TRX 3.3...

People say to me that the 3.3 hold the tune better than is smaller predecessors, can this be thruth?

I really am affraid of traxxas 3.3 engines... traxxas engines seem to be hard to tune... at least my 2.5R was... and the 3.3 have the same carb as the 2.5R... i believe that it have good power but the only problem i'm seeing in it is his carb and his hard adjustment...

I could buy from another online store the OS .18TM as TOWERHOBBIES... but only my online store can make the shipping without give me problems with customs fees on my country... :D

Please be free to (continue) give me your personal opinion! (please avoid to give a dealer opinion)

philthewrench 08-01-2007 07:27 AM

I can say without a doubt it was the BEST money I have spent on my maxx!!!!

HARC_PT 08-01-2007 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: philthewrench

I can say without a doubt it was the BEST money I have spent on my maxx!!!!
Sorry! What engine do you get for your maxx?

ajb1205 08-01-2007 11:48 AM

Get the OS...only have half a dozen tanks through mine and it's already impressive.