RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Revo 3.3 Slipper Clutch Tightness. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/7532645-revo-3-3-slipper-clutch-tightness.html)

tomcatguy74 05-23-2008 04:33 PM

Revo 3.3 Slipper Clutch Tightness.

Hey everyone!

I was driving my Revo the other day when suddenly the engine started acting kinda weird.(Sounds like a fairy tale!:)) I would gun the throttle and the engines RPMs would top out almost instantly and the truck would move but slowly and would never shift to 2nd gear. I toyed around with it and tried retuning it because I was thinking that it was out of tune if it did not shift. Then it hit me. The slipper clutch must have loosened up. Well it did and now my Revo really has some balls!! It wheelies like crazy! I love it!! However, I am worried that I might have tightened the slipper too much.
So my question is..........Is there a number of turns out from all the way tight that will allow the Revo to wheelie at will AND not destroy the transmission off a jump or just bashing around? Is there a happy medium?

Thanks

Rob

RCCanuck 05-23-2008 05:19 PM

RE: Revo 3.3 Slipper Clutch Tightness.

all the way tight then 1/4 to 1/2 turn back out depending on the surface you are runnng on.

SycoCell 05-23-2008 11:29 PM

The point of the slipper is to save the tranny. If you land from a jump with the throttle still pumping, the slipper "slips" and won't let the engine rip apart the tranny. But if you have the slipper too tight, that "slip" won't be there and there is a potential for damage to the tranny. It's pretty rare to screw the tranny up, most of the time the plastic slipper will just strip and you will have to buy a new one for 3 bucks. Take it from me, i've been through maybe 10.

Mspeed 05-23-2008 11:34 PM

start loose and tighten up bit by bit till you get it were it doesnt slipp everywere. Thats how I do all my slippers. I know most people are told to adjust their slippers by tightening them all the way down and then backing off. I do not like that method, sometimes I can get away with a much looser slipper than that set up. All depends on the gear ratio, engine your running and tires and diff lubes.

iamnot 05-24-2008 06:57 AM

my revo w/ os .18 tm
works best at
all the way tight and backed off 1/4 turn
anything looser and it rips through slipper pegs

i don't like the "start loose"
method because you
start wearing slipper pegs/pads
from the get-go
and over revving from a too loose slipper
is bad on the pads/pegs and the engine

i much prefer to start tight
and loosen as needed
for the performance i want
or the driving i'll be doing

but whatever you think
works best for you
i guess

Mspeed 05-24-2008 04:52 PM

I use to start tight on my old savage and back off a half turn stuff, wore out dog bones and cups and even broke a diff like that. Then started tight on the revo and found it was just way too tight for what I needed, gearing already too alot of abuse. On my jato been through too many trannys to remember, so for me I start loose and tighten it as needed. I just keep a close eye on it as I am on the loose side till its tight were I like it. You actually can tell how much its slipping by touching the adjusting nut on your slipper. If its warm or hot its being used, slipping some. I can run my slipper much looser with tires that are smaller on my jato as opposded to my larger tires. Night and day difference in how long my tranny last between the two tires and slipper settings. On my revo with the small block 3.3 I could run the slipper much looser than with the big block. I learned running the slipper set for your piticular set up can save you unneccesiary broken parts.

matts6887 05-24-2008 04:56 PM

Here is a general setting that may help ya out;(for most applications, but not necessarily all); tighten the slipper down all the way then back it off approx. 1/4 turn. If that ends up seeming like its too tight, then u can back it off a little more; just be careful not to loosen it too much

tomcatguy74 05-24-2008 04:58 PM

OK, so how about 1/2 a turn just to be safe?

Mspeed 05-24-2008 05:04 PM

In my opinnion traxxas makes very good slippers and you can get away with settings much looser than some people like to run them. There is no really perfect set measurement, you just have to figure out what works best for your set up. I use to mess up some springs on the savage by over tighting them then backing them off. I know most people will jsut tell you to do it by tightening all the way down first then backing off, thats fine, probably easier for someone new to slippers anyways. I just thought I'd share my experience with slippers, keeps my drivelines much happier for much longer, but probably more difficult to get it set right on. I am happy with the way I now set mine.

matts6887 05-24-2008 05:04 PM

a 1/4 turn would be better because a 1/4 turn is less than a 1/2 turn...(just to be on the safe side of things, tighten it down then back it off 1/4 turn at a time till it seems like its not too loose but not too tight either...)

Mspeed 05-24-2008 05:08 PM

I could run my slipper much looser on the stock 3.3 revo than traxxas recommends. It will make your diffs, tranny, reverse last so much longer. I still have the orginial reverse gears in my revo and its been through a big block, like 2 years old.

Mspeed 05-24-2008 05:11 PM

A good tip, put a drop of locktite on the threads that the slipper adjusting nut screws onto. It will keep it from loosing up on you over time.

tomcatguy74 05-24-2008 05:13 PM

OK, then I will try 1/4 turn. I am just begining to learn how to jump my Revo.

Soothsayerman 05-24-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

I could run my slipper much looser on the stock 3.3 revo than traxxas recommends. It will make your diffs, tranny, reverse last so much longer. I still have the orginial reverse gears in my revo and its been through a big block, like 2 years old.
I think on the third day after I broke my Revo in, I put it in reverse and drove WOT until the reverse gears were shredded into tiny bits. Never had to worry about it again. That was 2 engines ago.

Mspeed 05-24-2008 05:14 PM

If you hold the truck down on all fours and grab the spur with your fingers and try rolling the truck you can feel if it is slipping. If it is very easy to make it slipp that way, your too loose. That is how I initially start my slipper tension, usually till it is very hard to get it to slipp when trying to roll the truck while holding the spur. Works for me, I know alot of other people will tell you otherwise.

tomcatguy74 05-24-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

If you hold the truck down on all fours and grab the spur with your fingers and try rolling the truck you can feel if it is slipping. If it is very easy to make it slipp that way, your too loose. That is how I initially start my slipper tension, usually till it is very hard to get it to slipp when trying to roll the truck while holding the spur. Works for me, I know alot of other people will tell you otherwise.
Ok, I will try that.

Mspeed 05-24-2008 05:19 PM

Jumping your truck, its going to be even more critical to get the slipper set "right". You will know if your too tight, something will eventually snap in the driveline or you will wear your driveline out prematurely.

Mspeed 05-24-2008 05:23 PM

If you cant even get it to slipp at all while holding the spur tight with your fingers and moving the truck, I would loosen the adjustment till you can get it to move a tiny bit then snug it a tiny bit. That way you know your not starting way too tight. I have had plenty of experience with slippers and to me it makes the most since, but is harder to learn how to set it this way. Most people just tighten then back off and let it eat.

matts6887 05-24-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Jumping your truck, its going to be even more critical to get the slipper set "right". You will know if your too tight, something will eventually snap in the driveline or you will wear your driveline out prematurely.
Mspeed does make a very good and very valid point; because if its too tight then u will encounter problems(well u might not, but it is still possible to have problems when its too tight). Its probably better for it to be a tad too loose than too tight; because if its too loose, at least it wont "snap" something in the transmission prematurely(at least is shouldn't anyway).

Mspeed 05-24-2008 05:28 PM

You will find your slipper takes alot more of the abuse off your driveline and it will be in use more often, that is why I recommend putting a drop of locktite on the threads of the adjusting nut. That nut likes to loose as the slipper is being used so the locktite will help keep it set were you had it. I am sure alot of people with revos have had their slippers get loose on them and just think its not tight enough to begin with so they crank it down even tighter till it cant come loose like that. Well then they have it set so there is no slipper action at all, might as well take the slipper off the truck.

Mspeed 05-24-2008 05:33 PM

Too loose is not good either, its a happy medium. But I like to start a bit on the loose side and just snug it if I need to. You just have to be careful starting out a bit on the loose side and dont keep the throttle down if it slipps. Let off and snug it and let it cool then try it again. Like I said the traxxas slippers are very well made, they can handle alot more abuse than most are probably aware of. I hated the way hpi makes theirs, could not take much abuse, so needed to be tighted up alot or they just melted down too fast.

tomcatguy74 05-24-2008 05:34 PM

how often should I inspect the slipper pads?

Mspeed 05-24-2008 05:37 PM

I dont usually have any problems with the pads. If your spur and bell dont line up properly then you proabably need new pads. It will take a long time. I have orginials on my jato and I let it slipp alot cause they tranny is so weak. Its been through like 3 motors heh.

Mspeed 05-24-2008 05:46 PM

I would just be careful the first few tanks and listen to the rpm and watch the performance, you can tell if its slipping way too much when you accelerate. You dont want to let it slipp like nuts and keep driving it that way. If it does it then just tighten a bit and let it cool then your pretty much good to go. The top shaft gear rides right off the slipper and is one of the weak links in the tranny, you dont want to over heat with the slipper way loose or you will strip/wear it out prematurely. When you start upgradeing your motor and exhaust then it gets much harder. I didnt have many issues with the 3.3 setting the slipper. Engine could not handle enough gearing to really make that thing slip too much.

beer=food 05-24-2008 07:25 PM

l am somewhat of a rough bugger with mine, heres how l set it, tighten right up, put truck on TARMAK surface, [ black road LOL ] jam a flathead screw driver into spur gear make sure the flat head is as wide as the spur gears teeth , push truck down into its suspension, push it farward, loosen slipper until it just moves, it should now flex the driveline and slip when you push it farward, it is as tight as you can get it without breaking something.
For the record, 12 months hard jumps, bent and twisted chassis, wheelies, not stripped a spur gear yet, engine is held in by 2 screws, has been for 3 months now since l twisted chassis, had to displace it 4mm to the rear, drill new holes, re-align throdle L arm on engine block.
For a slightly looser setting, for exsample if your letting your kid or a kid drive it, like l do at times, instead of using the flathead screw driver, use your pionter finger, that setting will act more like a traction control system, the immediate punch of the line is gone for a better controlled take off, it will still change into second at that setting.

l know odd way of doing it, us old farts do wierd stuff at times ! l find it more practical !