RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   picco .26 max red dot (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/7793277-picco-26-max-red-dot.html)

t-maxxmaniac 07-31-2008 01:41 PM

picco .26 max red dot

well now that my 3.3 needs work, i am finaly alowed to get the .26 max.....got some questions, is the red dot better? what pipe? What feul byrons gen 2? tranny...is it gona eat it

t-maxxmaniac 07-31-2008 03:31 PM

RE: picco .26 max red dot

any1??? some1 must know something about it

danketchpel 07-31-2008 04:57 PM

I'm currently running the Picco Red Dot .26Max engine in my T-Maxx "3.3".

So far I'm very happy with the engine, I don't know how much better it is than the original version of the .26Max, but this version seem to have lots of torque and still winds out pretty good.

I had previously beefed up most of my driveline with steel axle shafts and center shafts and I'm running the FLM aluminum diff cups. The tranny is stock (including reverse) with the "standard ratio" gear set. I have it set to shift a bit on the early side to take advantage of the torque. With just under a gallon of fuel on this engine, the tranny is holding up very well. It broke last weekend but upon inspection if failed due to a small stone getting stuck in a tooth of the output gear, no gears were stripped. I'm running the stock clutch with the shoes in the leading position and the 24t clutch bell. That gearing seems just about right and I have no complaints with the clutch. The motor would easily pull the wide ratio gear set but I can't see the point of more top end speed, it's more than the truck can handle right now.

Currently I'm running the stock header with the resonator pipe. It seems to work pretty good actually, but it's hard to tell until I get a chance to try something else. I'm thinking to try the THS pipe with a larger dia header pipe, either the THS or maybe the O.S. header. But for now it's good enough to pull 1/2 throttle wheelies so I'm not sure how much more I want. I'm running O'Donnells 30% race blend fuel. I added an extra 0.10mm head shim per Picco's instructions. I have the HPI 1/8th buggy airfilter for now. I've been running McCoy MC9 plugs which seem to work well.

I machined my own engine mount just because I wanted to. I'm currently using the EZ-Start system and it starts the motor without any trouble. I may switch to a Tiger Drive eventually. I'd like to standardize all my vehicles on Tiger Drive at some point.

Overall I'm very pleased. It holds a tune pretty well. I have had to retune a bit if the weather changes dramatically, but not much more than 1/8 turn or so. It idles much better than the TRX motor and generally runs better, it almost never stalls out. It also starts quicker. Run times seem to equal or slightly longer than with the TRX 3.3 motor which kinda surprised me.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...Maxx-Picco.jpg

t-maxxmaniac 07-31-2008 05:01 PM

thanx.....that pretty much told me everything i need to know, my 3.3 is dieing an i want extreme power:D

danketchpel 07-31-2008 05:16 PM

You're welcome.

You do need to use the special motor mount they sell for it, the stock 3.3 mount won't work. I think it runs ~$18 or so. Everything else from your 3.3 motor will mount right up.

t-maxxmaniac 07-31-2008 05:34 PM

ok.....thanks again for ur help, hopefully i can order .26 maxx tonight:D:D:D:D:D:D

McPaintFargo 08-04-2008 07:53 PM

I'm just about done breaking in the red dot .26 picco. The power is insane even compared to the os .18 that came out of it (old revo). Running a THS pipe and header.

superman11 08-04-2008 08:27 PM

Someone needs to make a video running some other engines against the new Picco red dot, maybe even compare the new to the old... Does anyone have a lot of RC buddies?

supertib 08-05-2008 08:28 AM

tuned pipe guys..the Picco Max will need to use a true big block pipe like a 086 to really make its full power and RPM..the smallblock pipe in that picture will definitely restrict the motor quite significantly... i'd say your only seeing 65% of what that motor can really do....

shibby1 08-05-2008 09:49 AM

I have a tmaxx .15 and i was going to put a .26 red dot. Would it fit in my small chassis or do i need to get a bigger chassis, and what engine mount will work will the .26 max. Would my tranny hold up being older its in good contion. And what pipe? thax

dkastil 09-04-2008 01:51 PM

i just got this one and it comes with a free tmax or revo mount http://cgi.ebay.com/Ofna-Picco-26-MA...713.m153.l1262

rcbeep73 09-05-2008 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: shibby1

I have a tmaxx .15 and i was going to put a .26 red dot. Would it fit in my small chassis or do i need to get a bigger chassis, and what engine mount will work will the .26 max. Would my tranny hold up being older its in good contion. And what pipe? thax
you can buy the engine for the maxx and it comes with the header. you will have to buy the engine mount for that engine. as for the exhaust get a pipe that fits on the 3.3. go to tower hobbies site and look it up