RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Is T-MAXX Delicate? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/9091623-t-maxx-delicate.html)

HarisKhoso 09-13-2009 09:21 AM

Is T-MAXX Delicate?

How much tough is a Stock T-Maxx 4908?

FP 4LC4PON3 09-13-2009 10:30 AM

RE: Is T-MAXX Delicate?

from what i can tell you cause i just got mine 4 days ago is no. im just learning to jump and i can tell you ive made some mistakes and cartwheeled the truck many many times and it has taken it. ive done a couple of front flips and landed on the nose but i do have aluminum bulk heads so im sure that plays a role.

RCWSO 09-13-2009 10:54 AM

I am no expert but I bought my T-Maxx 2.5 almost 5 years ago and would not use the word "delicate" to describe this truck. I do not bash all that hard but have taken many good flips, cartwheels, crashes etc and it has help up just fine. Not only that, Traxxas is a great company that stands behind its product. There are so many parts that are extremely easy to find and order for the T-Maxx if you happen to break something or want to upgrade. I think it is a great and very durable truck. Any truck hitting something at 30+ MPH may suffer some scratches, dents and broken parts and the T-Maxx will stand there with the rest of them. It is not indestructable but it is tough.

rcnitrohead 09-13-2009 11:47 AM

My 2003 T-maxx 2.5 was a turd that broke every time I drove it. It was fun to drive, but forget about jumping that truck at all... No comment on the newest variants.

quadracer111 09-13-2009 12:36 PM

They might be durable, but compared to other trucks on the market, they are delicate IMO.
The revo is way more durable, better basher, better racer and a better all around truck.
Or the savage, who the heck wants a true monster truck with a small block? (T-maxx), if you dont wanna get a revo but want a t-maxx go with the savage x.
Savage and revo > t-maxx

DaveG55 09-13-2009 02:09 PM

My old Pro.15 T-Maxx is tougher than either my Savage or my LST.
My Revo is tougher than all three.

ReaperGN 09-13-2009 02:54 PM

It comes down to driver skill. Simply put if you suck than the truck will break. If you can control it, land on the tires right and understand what limits are than it will take a beating. The tmaxx is very tough but most people dont understand it was not designed for 20 foot jumps or for someone to say oh look a tree. I thinks the truck can win. And as far as the revo being stronger, I have seen just aas many broken revos as I have tmaxx's.

rcnitrohead 09-13-2009 03:23 PM

^ You are right to a small extent. Skill does play a part, but bashing means you intentionally put your truck through hell while trying hit as many objects as possible and land as many landings on 4 wheels as possible... NOT crash your truck till it breaks... I've been jumping the crap out of my R/Cs for a long while now, my T-maxx was my first truck and it literally broke off of >5ft jumps landing on all fours... That is no excuse, must have happened to me dozens of times causing close to a thousand bucks in replacement and upgrade parts... My Savage on the other hand, will take 15-20ft jumps all day long providing I don't land on the engine (now I have the plastic cage on, no worries...), and manage NOT to break a single part. People have been giving the newer T-maxx models good reviews, so maybe they improved some things but guess what truck is always sitting on my LHS's counter waiting to be repaired... Countless people will agree that the 2003-08 series of Maxxes were turds. Many claim that the Pro .15 models were tanks, definitely different type of plastics being used in them over the years....

You can be as skillful as you want jumping a truck, but if it breaks time after time from landing properly, something is very wrong.

ReaperGN 09-13-2009 06:52 PM

Mine started as a .15. The plastic is different. It is kind of a strange mixture of plastic and some kind of fiber. I did full on cartwheels, jumps, and the crashes when first learning how it handles and only one thing broke. It was the front right bulkhead and even though it was broke I continued to drive the same way for about 4 months. I don't know about the newer models but mine could take some serious abuse. Even the original tires were better material. It doesn't wear down and it was able to get traction on pavement. Newer tires I have seen look like plastic compared to what I use.

cmerritt 09-13-2009 08:04 PM

i jumped my 2.5 maxx stock all the time and the only thing i broke was a front skid plate when i hit a rock on the landing, bulkheads from a run a way into a light pole and a rear turnbuckle when i landed off a 8' jump on the back tire. jumping landing on all fours at one time is the wrong was to land, you will bottom out which may lead to broken parts but that depends on the height of the jump and the surface your jumping on. driver skill plays a BIG PART in how long a truck will last. be stupid with it and it will break, like any other truck. Know its limits and it will last a long time.

I think the maxx is plenty durable and is an excellent truck! Any truck will break when improperly used and the maxx is no exception. I'm not out to say that the maxx is better than the revo or any other truck but they are not as fragile as some say. Alot of newcomers to RC pick the maxx, which is a great starter truck, and beat it to hell and then complain about how fragile and weak it is. Take your time learning to drive the truck and it will last a long time and you'll have a great time!

rcnitrohead 09-13-2009 08:54 PM

I ran stiff dual rate springs with 60wt oil and a lot of hop ups... If you DONT want to land on all fours, you will land cock eyed and distribute the load on the suspension unevenly which will result in breakage...

These are monster trucks, some of the toughest vehicles out there after buggies and truggies. There is NO excuse as to why a customer cannot use the product for its intended use, aka beating it to hell excluding utter stupidity like crashing into inanimate objects on purpose or pushing the truck completely past its limits...

cmerritt 09-13-2009 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

I ran stiff dual rate springs with 60wt oil and a lot of hop ups... If you DONT want to land on all fours, you will land cock eyed and distribute the load on the suspension unevenly which will result in breakage...

These are monster trucks, some of the toughest vehicles out there after buggies and truggies. There is NO excuse as to why a customer cannot use the product for its intended use, aka beating it to hell excluding utter stupidity like crashing into inanimate objects on purpose or pushing the truck completely past its limits...
yes i know these are monster trucks. i know they are meant to be beat to hell but i'm agreeing with you in that they aren't meant for running full speed off a jump into a tree or building and people expecting it to be okay or running into an obstacle at full speed expecting to drive away. These trucks can take alot I know I drive mine all the time pretty hard.

As for landing, I was saying you don't want to land on all fours at one time because you'll bottom out. Common knowledge, if you spread out the impact by landing on the rears slightly before the front the truck won;t bottom out hard and will still be controllable. Look at any other form of off road racing and see how they land on flat ground. Of course landing at a sharp angle from a close to vertical takeoff you have to land on all fours but for an outward jump, like most, you want to land rears slightly before the fronts.

rcnitrohead 09-13-2009 10:32 PM

For most people, landing on all fours is an accomplishment, lets see everyone finesse their landings as you say, this aint full size motorsports racing.

Here is a vid of what my truck does, I did that for 4 hours till I went balls on the wall and tore the body to pieces and it pulled a number on the last jump...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7r7z...e=channel_page

cmerritt 09-13-2009 10:37 PM

For most people, landing on all fours is an accomplishment, lets see everyone finesse their landings as you say, this aint full size motorsports racing.

Here is a vid of what my truck does, I did that for 4 hours till I went balls on the wall and tore the body to pieces and it pulled a number on the last jump...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7r7z...e=channel_page
nice video! I guess everyone has their own way of running their trucks. mine has worked out well for me so far and my truck. I'll have to find someone to shoot a video of me jumping my supermaxx one of these days. Sadly there's no one near me who runs RC [&o]

fabrimacator21 09-14-2009 03:58 AM

My 2003 T-maxx 2.5 was a turd that broke every time I drove it. It was fun to drive, but forget about jumping that truck at all... No comment on the newest variants.

Forget about jumps? I've jumped my maxx 20-30ft regularly without breakage(stock).

I've seen your videos.... and I'm guessing your version of jumping the truck is flinging it off a jump 10ft into the air and landing it flat on asphalt..... wonder why it broke?

No, the maxx is not as durable as a savage..... It is, however a MUCH better handling truck. When driven right and stupid stuff aside it can take a beating without much if any breakage. Theres a few parts that are notorious for breakage and need to be replaced with aluminum or stronger plastics(a-arms and buldheads), but once that is done it's a great truck. Throw a BB kit on it and no savage or lst can touch it.

HarisKhoso 09-14-2009 08:15 AM

So Do u mean if the A Arms & Bulk Heads r replaced with good One's (How about RPM) it is as Tough as any Savage if not better?

rcnitrohead 09-14-2009 09:32 AM

My T-maxx was never jumped higher than 5ft on asphalt... Thats a testament to how bad it was. If you want to base my driving completely on that vid, go for it- I'll make a new one.. Like I said, that was a few mins out of 4 hours of solid jumping...

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/_DSC0210.jpg

You can put $500 in upgrades into the T-maxx and it will not outbash the Savage, it may be a little quicker- but still slower than the Revo and the LST2..

When I sold my T-maxx...

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/DSC04134.jpg

ReaperGN 09-14-2009 02:26 PM

A savage is better at jumping and the tmaxx is better at hauling rear. The tmaxx is as strong as any one really needs.

FP 4LC4PON3 09-14-2009 02:38 PM

i can tell you now i wish i had a vid cam cause i bash the **** out of my t maxx and i bash it hard. yesturday we beat the crap outta it and believe me it took what we gave it. everything is stock except aluminum bulk heads and aluminum steering. everyone already knows that a savage will out bash anything out there but in my eyes the t maxx is very strong.

HarisKhoso 09-14-2009 03:18 PM

I think I have to agree as I dont know too much about or am not as Fortunate as U all r there In U.S or Europe having too many Hobbyshops & too many people to play with, I live in Pakistan & if I need to buy an RC of My Choice it has to come all the way from Hobby Town Dallas U.S Yes that's My Local Hobby Shop even though I,m living in Karachi, it will cost Me 4 Times the Price of what will Cost U there :( :) . I think as I,m going through billions of Forums & Mostly Hear that Savage is Tougher than T-Maxx I have to agree but when I see the Sites I find More Advancement in T-Maxx compared to Savage, I,m not sure how correct is my knowledge but Is T-Maxx more Advance than the Savage as far as Material is Concerned for e.g Savage does,nt have Center Skid Plate for protection for the Gear box etc etc ? Please shed some light over it?

ReaperGN 09-14-2009 04:25 PM

There are some parts you can get that make a t maxx do better than a savage. The tmaxx has always been playing catch up as far as strength is concerned. The savage was not even around when the tmaxx was first released so it didn't need all the strength. Out of the box the savage is better but if you like o have a custom look than the tmaxx is the way to go. It has a larger selection of parts than any other RC.

HarisKhoso 09-14-2009 04:28 PM

Thanks Reaper, Could U give Me the names of the Hopups that would make the T-Maxx very durable like some say aluminum Arms some say RPM Arms what would U prefer & other parts as well :)
Thanks All

ReaperGN 09-14-2009 05:30 PM

Your talking some big bucks to get them. The company is called unlimited engineering. Most people run their aluminum chassis, braces, bulkheads, and bulkhead braces, and rpm arms. The company does not make much any more but the guys on the http://www.traxxas.com forum have a stockpile. Other than there I dont know where to get them. UE does not have to much on the website but here it is. http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/cgi-bin/store

rcnitrohead 09-14-2009 07:41 PM

^ You just proved my point, stock for stock there is no competition. If your going Traxxas, get a Revo. I'm done here, no need for people who just got their Maxxes a month ago who think they've done it all to be telling me that the truck I've owned for 6 years, is a tank- even with hop ups.

Like I said in my original post, maybe Traxxas has done something other than color the new plastics grey, but the 02-08 Maxxes were turds and there are plenty of posts to prove it. As for aftermarket support, you are right- the T-maxx does have the largest base for this, but the Savage and Revo have every single part available as well, maybe not from 10 different companies for a single part, but they are there.

HarisKhoso 09-14-2009 07:57 PM

Well Actually I have both of them I,ve got T-Maxx 4908 3.3 & I,ve got Revo 5308 3.3 :) Got both of them & now am planning to give them some Upgrades ;)