RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Traxxas Sporttrax Talon 5.75x3.5-3.8 Tyre/Wheel Combo (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/9519646-traxxas-sporttrax-talon-5-75x3-5-3-8-tyre-wheel-combo.html)

etopsflight 02-20-2010 03:57 AM

Traxxas Sporttrax Talon 5.75x3.5-3.8 Tyre/Wheel Combo

1 Attachment(s)
Guys

I recently bought a set of Traxxas Sporttraxx Talon pre-assembled tyre/wheel combo from one of my LHS and believed they would fit my Tamiya Nitrage truggy.

Having tried them on the stock tamiya 14mm hexes, they wheel hex hole is too big. I tried a 17mm hex and the wheel hex hole is too small! My understanding was there are only 12mm, 14mm, 17mm and 23mm hexes. So what other size is left?

I am not sure of the model of the wheel but as I say they came as a combo. I have temporarily misplaced the part number card that was stapled to the polythene bag.

However, if you look at the photos, the main hex shape looks like 17mm. But on the "across the flat side" of the hexagon, there is a notch on each side which makes the hex smaller.

Also, the axle bore size is much bigger than my Nitrage and I need adapters to fit this wheel. Can anybody recommend a brand and part number of hex adapter that will solve my problem?

Appreciate any info.

Cheers

Etops

etopsflight 02-20-2010 04:53 AM

RE: Traxxas Sporttrax Talon 5.75x3.5-3.8 Tyre/Wheel Combo

1 Attachment(s)
Oh man!

I have just discovered these rims I have are for special Traxxas splined wheel hubs and nuts!

Can't believe my LHS lead me astray!

Does anybody know if I can convert my Nitrage hexes to these splined hubs?

Cheers in advance.

Etops (*feeling like a donkey*)

scott36 02-20-2010 06:09 AM

your rims are 17mm with the traxxas notched hexs, i had done this trick on a set of traxxas rims was remove the notchs so i could use them with other hexs other then just traxxas or you can get the traxxas 17mm hexs and use the rims you have now to.

scott36 02-20-2010 06:13 AM

i just looked at the post a bit better and noticed that you said a truggy so the Tamiya Nitrage truggy you have should have the 17 mm hex. if you remove the notchs you could use the rims, i useed my dremal tool.

etopsflight 02-20-2010 07:38 AM

scott36

thanks for the reply.

cannot do, the tamiya nitrage truggy comes with 14mm hexes.

i bought the traxxas rims and they need the splined hubs as a matched set to fit. if you have the splined hubs already, then they will acommodate normal 17mm hex wheels.

this is a great marketing and engineering ploy by traxxas.

i maye just have to et one of theose revo 3.3's!!!!!

cheers

etops

scott36 02-20-2010 07:55 AM

ok then if the outrage has the 14 hexs it must have 6 mm axels then so yes the traxxas 17mm hexs should work if you have the 6 mm axels then.

etopsflight 02-20-2010 08:01 AM

scott36

nitrage, not outrage. it should be called outrage becoz the spares are so hard to come by - obsolete. should have stuck to 1/10th sacle, those revo 3.3 and losi ten T look very tempting. pity the revo does not come with the spektrum r.o.s.s.

can you tell me the standard axle diameters with standard hex sizes pls, saves me some research.

cheers

etops

scott36 02-20-2010 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...e5_2/index.htm
from the picture i think the axels would be the 6 mm axels. i have some 17mm adapters that give a 16 mm off set to a truggy or truck, your looking for somthing like what i have pictured but not in the off set fourm...http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXNWS2&P=K
the maxamiser ones work well to.

scott36 02-20-2010 01:46 PM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXNWS2&P=K

etopsflight 02-20-2010 06:21 PM

scott36

thanks for the link to the maximizers adapters. there are 2 part numbers, namely 2381 and 2391.

both photos shown on tower hobbies look the same and if you notice the way they have taken the photo, it only shows one side (backside) of the adapter. it does not show the wheel side. i cannot judge whether or not there is the axle extension required to fill in the gap. the sporttraxx have a axle bore diameter of 12mm, my stock nitrage axles are 6mm. i need that 'bushed' part on the adapter.

also, due to the splined pattern on the sporttraxx's, i would have to modify the adapters to make the rims fit. i would have to make a aslot in each side of the adpater to make the splined wheel fit. seems like a very painful process.

also, the traxxas splined hubs seem to come with 4mm pin to hold onto the axle, whilst the tamiya standard is 2.5mm. Even if the pinned hole are universal, the diameters are different. perhaps traxxas did this on purpose. any other options to install these traxxas wheels??????

actually, looking more at the revo 3.3, i am beginning to salivate! those promo videos, especially showing it in slow motion bashing over rough ground and that amazing suspension design working overtime is seriously looking dangerous to my bank account!!!

i'll be popping by my local traxxas HS and pricing the RTR and the spares available in the next few days.

cheers

etops

Kelownan 02-21-2010 03:09 AM

hmmm interesting, ive got those exact wheels on my revo only my hub isnt splined, are they the gemini rims?

etopsflight 02-21-2010 04:41 AM

@kelownan

i am not sure what rims they are. whatever they are - meant for the spline hubs.

i guess the sporttraxx tyres can be mounted on other rims that have standard 14mm or 17 mm hexes.

cheers

etops

scott36 02-21-2010 07:15 AM

Etops the only thing you would need to do is cut out the notchs on the rim to use the maximizers adapters, there is a slot in the adapters already, the blue adapter was only for to give you and idea as to what you could use to use your tires and rims with the 17mm hexs.
also have fun shopping at the HS to, cant hurt to have more rc trucks i have 5

etopsflight 02-21-2010 08:30 AM

scott36

i am not too keen on reworking the rims to fit the maximizer adapters.

if i buy the revo 3.3, then my problems will be solved! hahahahaha

trying to get another rc past the wife is going to be a challenge as i am quite interested in the losi ten-t also. how about trying to get the revo and losi past her?????

cheers

etops

Kelownan 02-21-2010 05:42 PM

id go for the revo, cant beat traxxas :)

scott36 02-21-2010 05:52 PM

I would start with 1 rc to get past the wife first. ive looked at the losi 10 T rather nice looking on the bench at the LHS. tires look bigger then they do in person tho but nonthe less the truggy looks nice.
its real easy to take off the tabs on the traxxas rims

ELK 02-21-2010 08:38 PM

i have these same wheels and dont have to use those splined hubs