Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic
Reload this Page >

Help needed from experienced jet pilots

Community
Search
Notices
Turbine Clinic Get direct support from the major turbine manufacturer support reps in here.

Help needed from experienced jet pilots

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:25 AM
alfawaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed from experienced jet pilots

Dear all,

I need your input in a matter my first jet has a maiden and flew beautifully. Now I am planning to put more flights on it and get a waiver signed off. However, one thing bothering me is fuel leakage in the engine bay. I wasn’t able to trace where the leakage is coming from so I went ahead and replaced all reducers and Y-splitter for solenoids with brand new Festo ones (kingtech 140F) it still leaked. Is the leakage coming from the Festo fittings ? Another friend suggested it might just be extra oil coming out of the turbine. At this point it is puzzling. Should I switch to brass reducer and Y splitter ? Or does anyone have an idea of what the reason might be ?

any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You need to keep after it and find the leak.

With Festo i've had leaks that resulted simply by not fully seating the fuel or air line in the connector.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:46 AM
alfawaz

It makes such a mess I cannot trace it. I will try to get the lines seated more and see if this helps.
Any issues if I used a brace reducer and Y?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I use solid connections wherever possible
Old 08-15-2018, 08:58 AM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

Minimise connections, as above solid connections where possible, ensure all the fuel lines are cut square at 90 degrees prior to seating in the festo fitting
Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 AM
alfawaz

You are right I might not have them at perfect 90
then I will remove the Festo I have and use solid hopefully this helps.
I have two right now 4mm to 3mm reducer for the burner and 4 mm Y for solenoids to SOV
Old 08-18-2018, 08:25 AM
alfawaz

So I switched to all solid connections and got rid of the Festo still got leaking. I observed the engine while starting and seemed like the engine dumbed a bunch of fuel out of the exhaust and since I don’t have a bipass the tailpipe bell drains that fuel back into the engine Bay Area. What is the reason for that? This is my first jet. It is also important to note that the engine starts with a bunch of flame out of the back

Last edited by alfawaz; 08-18-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:03 PM
aaronforth

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alfawaz
So I switched to all solid connections and got rid of the Festo still got leaking. I observed the engine while starting and seemed like the engine dumbed a bunch of fuel out of the exhaust and since I don’t have a bipass the tailpipe bell drains that fuel back into the engine Bay Area. What is the reason for that? This is my first jet. It is also important to note that the engine starts with a bunch of flame out of the back
did you get the raw fuel issue sorted out?
sounds like to me your start parameters are too high.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:23 PM
alfawaz

Not entirely but I was able to determine where it is coming from and what is causing it. I have been working on it.
It seems like my fuel ramp was turned up way too high causing the fuel to come out of the engine unburnt so I turned down the fuel ramp on my GSU from 140 to 120 and now 100 but planning to turn down to 80 tomorrow because there is still little bit of fuel coming out and a lot of flames
Old 09-21-2018, 02:26 PM
aaronforth

Not entirely but I was able to determine where it is coming from and what is causing it. I have been working on it.
It seems like my fuel ramp was turned up way too high causing the fuel to come out of the engine unburnt so I turned down the fuel ramp on my GSU from 140 to 120 and now 100 but planning to turn down to 80 tomorrow because there is still little bit of fuel coming out and a lot of flames
what engine is this?

I suspect your flames are coming before the fuel ramp stage...
fuel ignition or possible pre heat stage
Old 09-21-2018, 02:28 PM
aaronforth

also more what stage it's in when you are getting flame and fuel drops
Old 09-21-2018, 02:35 PM
aaronforth

sorry just noticed it's on a 140F kingtech

you need to turn down your pump PW and possible your pre heat

turn down your PW until you dont get a positive start. Then increase the value a couple. Try that first before you lower your pre heat .

you may have to turn down your pre heat if you get flames when it switches to ramp.

your ramp value only adjusts the speed of acceleration AFTER it hits 100 degrees. Too slow of ramp and it will tend to hang up. Too fast of ramp and it will over shoot idle and ramp way too fast and be a blow torch

Last edited by aaronforth; 09-21-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:47 PM
alfawaz

That’s very helpful I will give it a try tomorrow morning.
Honestly whenever I see flames and looked the GSU it is in the ramp stage. It seems like the flames come out as soon as it starts fuel ramp. But I will try to turn down the pump pw and the preheat and see what happens
Old 09-21-2018, 05:52 PM
aaronforth

That’s very helpful I will give it a try tomorrow morning.
Honestly whenever I see flames and looked the GSU it is in the ramp stage. It seems like the flames come out as soon as it starts fuel ramp. But I will try to turn down the pump pw and the preheat and see what happens
usually your flames come from the stage before if they are right away.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:38 PM
alfawaz

I turned down preheat by 5% and PW by 2 points. But that was almost catastrophical got an extremely hot start luckily had the extinguisher handy paint got little screwed up on the bottom
Old 09-22-2018, 12:42 PM
aaronforth

I turned down preheat by 5% and PW by 2 points. But that was almost catastrophical got an extremely hot start luckily had the extinguisher handy paint got little screwed up on the bottom
turning those down will not cause more flame...did you have serval failed starts before?

if not then remove the fuel line from the engine then start a start sequence. You should only have a slow drip. If too much fuel decrease PW more
Old 09-22-2018, 12:44 PM
alfawaz

First start of the day it was hung on preheat for a very long time. Didn’t change any other parameters. My normal preheat is at 45% and PW at 26
I did 40% and 24 respectively
Old 09-22-2018, 12:46 PM
aaronforth

First start of the day it was hung on preheat for a very long time. Didn’t change any other parameters. My normal preheat is at 45% and PW at 26
I did 40% and 24 respectively
that's why you had a hot start...pre heat was hung up...put pre heat back and lower PW
Old 09-22-2018, 12:56 PM
nilsreinert123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Simjet 1200 was leaking a lot of fuel , i had to screw off the front cover ,(left hand threads) and changed the short fuel line under it , it was bent too much into the festo fitting , after i did that it is not leaking any more.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:25 PM
alfawaz

Originally Posted by aaronforth
that's why you had a hot start...pre heat was hung up...put pre heat back and lower PW
how many points down on the PW would you suggest ?
Old 09-22-2018, 01:39 PM
aaronforth

how many points down on the PW would you suggest ?
hard too say that's why I said remove the line at the engine. Do a start sequence and watch the fuel flow
it should only drop like every second or so..not a stream
after you have that set close you can fine tune with line back on. The goal is to have just enough fuel for ignition. But enough fuel to have a reliable start. After that pre heat takes place.

Last edited by aaronforth; 09-22-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:44 PM
alfawaz

Sounds good I will play with it a little and see what I come up with.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:47 PM
aaronforth

Hope it works for you.
let me know if you need anything else
Old 09-22-2018, 01:48 PM
alfawaz

Thank you so much for taking the time and replying prompently that’s greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:50 PM
aaronforth

Thank you so much for taking the time and replying prompently that’s greatly appreciated.
no problem
out of curiosity what's your PW at now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.