Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

New Twin Commanche ARF

http://www.seagullmodels.com/pop_up.asp?id=129

New Seagull twin. Not a bad looking sport scale Twin Commanche. I sure hope Horizon imports this one. I have a feeling they will not though. For that matter, there are many nice scale Seagull models they don't import for some reason?
    Lets hope they do though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Twin Commanche ARF

Not bad looking from a scale outline, but why the hideous, non-scale color scheme? It totally kills the appeal of this model to me...Russ Farris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Posted in the ARF forum, was this info about all kinds of new Seagull releases. And the same comment about Horizon not importing them.

Lo and behold, a Horizon employee came in and posted that ALL of the Seagull models will be imported by Horizon over the next 6 months.

The new Twin Commanche looks killer. I just wish it was set up for retracts.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks to be an awsome product lets hope the pricing does not get out of hand. Actually I think the colors and markings are beautiful. My only issue with that is the 'ZS' prefix in the tailnumber which is the international registry designator for South Africa. I would have preferred an 'N' number instead which is US registry but not a big thing and that is just me.

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John - I guess I'm on originality freak (as we speak I'm painting my full-size 1957 Cessna 172 back to it's factory scheme, polished aluminum with red and creme accent stripes and the large N-numbers on the wing.) On the Twin Commanche model, the Indian Head on the tail and the "Twin Comanche" script on the wings look awful.
    Is the factory paint scheme that boring to the masses? Russ Farris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Size of this model?

They didn't do all that good of a job with the nose section.
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are a few things that are not just right, but for what it is I think it looks great. The outline is actually pretty good. I don't think its supposed to be exact scale as with most of Seagull's models, but it will be a great sport scale knock around twin. I'm kinda looking foward that it will not be so complex. I've got other twins for that.
    Kmot, I took it to mean that one of the models listed in the other thread would be imported. Mabey he was saying that all of them would be? His wording was a little confusing to me. I sure hope they do though. I have been wanting their C Eagle since I saw it several months ago, but it was very cost prohibitive to have it shipped over here.
    Russ, I love that 172 scheme. Does yours have a Franklin or Continental in it. Some say that they are the best flying 172's of all models. 40 degrees of flaps will really make her slow to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

Size of this model?

They didn't do all that good of a job with the nose section.
    Specs from Seagull's site.

Specifications:
    Wingspan.........................................7 6.8 in........................195cm.
    Wing area........................................830.8s q.in...............53.6sq.dm.
    Approximate flying weight...............11lbs........................ ...5kg.
    Length............................................ ...51.3 in....................130.3cm.
    recommended engine size................ .46-.55 cu.in...........2-stroke.
    .91-1.25 cu.in.........4-stroke.
    ELECTRIC CONVERSON: OPTIONAL.
    Radio System required 5 channel with 8 digital servos.
    Flying skill level Intermediate/advanced.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SJ3cub - My 172 has the Continental O-300A, 145 hp. Here it is before I started painting (that's the original 53 year old paint on there!) Russ Farris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

any more word on this plane showing up?
    Ultra Sport brother #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I really hope they import this model. I went to the LHS to order their Dual Ace and it's been discontinued! Story of my life- day late and a dollar short! I've been looking for a home for a pair of magnum 61 fs's. I think they would fly this plane well.
    Why did we trade 1 tyrant 2000 miles away for 2000 tyrants 1 mile away?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Horizion has been adding alot of new Seagull models over the last several weeks, so hopefully the Twin Commanche will not be too far out. I sure hope they bring the Christen Eagle over as well. IMO its one of the best looking Seagull models out there right now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys,

I have been flying a prototype in Australia for a while, its an awesome flyer. It comes with Fixed Oleo legs but has an option for mechanical retracts. Gear doors work as well.

The Colour scheme has been taken of a real one flying around in South Africa. If you dont like the Indian Head & rego, they are just decals, you can take them off.

I dont know if Horizon is doing them, but they will be available in Australia late May.

[img][/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44307.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	1592749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ea84305.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	1592750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk18182.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	1592751  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, I am considering this model but would like to know the engines you used. I want some that will fit in the cowl like yours and also would like to know if they overpower/underpower the plane. Does it also have flaps? Thanks alot. Greetings from Nassau, Bahamas!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Look at the first post, it has flaps.

L.
    Cherokee Flyer
    Club SAITO #696

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used OS 46 AX engines with std mufflers. It is way overpowered with these but lots of fun. A pair of 35 AX's would probably do it nicely. I actually killed this one clowning around too low, so i have built another one with a pair of the new OS brushless motors.

It is a great flyer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone else flown this plane?  What are the undercarriage mounts like?  Typical ARF rubbish, or half decent?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

I Received mine today ...

Really impressed ( note I've always built my planes from plans - kit or scratch - ) by the quality of the parts and the readable booklet. I do not like too much horns and little fittings ... but I also have 40 modelling years habits ...

About the undercarriage ... looks to be serious ( cause YOU HAVE to Glue the blocks, due to the Retracts possible option ), here, I'll try to use an E-flite 430 model. Genuine Gear struts are fully and easily re-usable with retractable gear despite what an English Forum says about it ... I do not know if the writer once opened the box before writing that ... [:'(]

I could add such a model diserves you treat it Kindly ....

motors ??? I Think a couple of Saitos .62 I have will do it ( .72 or .82 might be too much ??? ) driven through a "Twinsync" from Bill Wike ...
    Once more booklet is straight and clear about the different types of motors you can use.

BTW ... Seagull painted both wing tips lights red [:-] ... Booooooo ...

So ... as we say in french " just to be done now ..."

Sure I'll have Nice dreams for this night ...

Alain

PS; Thanks for "Flynasa" photos and comments ... that triggered my decision !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am so glad to see someone step outside the box and do some of the classic General Aviation Aircraft. We really don't need another Mustang or extra 300.
    Id rather have Scale, But also Sport scale is better than nothing. Please Keep them coming...
    AMA #70046 Jet Junkie!

Without Gravity, Your Lockout Jet becomes Space Junk.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: drdoom

I am so glad to see someone step outside the box and do some of the classic General Aviation Aircraft. We really don't need another Mustang or extra 300.
    Id rather have Scale, But also Sport scale is better than nothing. Please Keep them coming...
    I agree doom, I like the warbirds but the general aviation stuff like this one is pretty scarce unless you scratch build.
    Nosen Cessna 310 Club Member #54

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am currently flying a Dual Ace with OS 46FX's. Any more power than this and one little burp by one engine would send you side-ways before you blinked. Any less power and you won't get the SPEED this plane is capable of! On take-off, the rudder has just enough authority (full deflection either way) with the 46fx's to keep the plane tracking straight. Anymore power and I couldn't keep it straight. I know what I'm saying, because I fly mine in a (custom) tail-dragger configuration. I pretty much have to because I fly off my own dirt air strip. Everything I fly is converted to TD. I too am looking forward to the Comanche. I got my Dual Ace WAY LATE by buying the fuse and wing set on a Horizon Hobby close-out sale on "replacement parts." I actually got the last wing-set in stock. I am hoping that the Comanche is a Dual Ace in fancy disguise. SWEET flying plane for sure. I lean the slower motor to max RPM (-50) and then richen up the faster engine to drop down until they are 'sync'd" and boy OH boy does she sound awesome on a wide-open pass! If I finely tune my 46fx's before every flight, I should be flying this sweet bird for years to come. Its just like flying a single that way, so far... [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Last month, December 2011, Horizon Hobby the importer put 01/10/2012 as the date of availability of this twin Comanche by Seagull. Now when I check their website, the date is no longer given but instead the info "backordered" is put out. Somehow, Seagull introduced this model earlier last year(2011) to Europe and Australia???? I wonder what the delay is into bringing it out to the U.S.??? Maybe the model has turned out to be so popular that Seagull is backlogged severely. It is slightly smaller than the rival TopFlite Cessna 310 which is much , much heavier at 17-20 lbs. with a much higher wing loading versus the Piper Twin Comanche at 11 lbs. and a lighter wing loading. Both have the similar Blue trim on a White background...........which looks appealing to a lot of people. Yes that feathered headdress decal on the tail looks out of place on a civil aircraft. When I get mine, I will replace it with a stars and stripes waving flag on the vertical tail. With the advent of computer radios dropping down in price very fast and the ability to sync the twin glo engines with the radio and NOT with the mixture, there is less risk of engine flameouts and less risk of crashes on twins. Also the Seagull Twin Comanche comes with the Electric motor mount adapters already included in the package further reducing chances of a crash due to one motor quitting. I noticed more twins coming to market in the ARF field. Good for all of us.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe this is the full scale plane they copied the color scheme from. It's the only picture I've seen and can't see the registration numbers but I think they are ZS-EMR
    Nosen Cessna 310 Club Member #54

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking at the instruction booklet the other night, I saw that the tip tanks don't come glued on from the factory thankfully. I'm going to fashion some proper tips for mine, as most full scale twin commanche's I have been around did not have tip tanks. Can't stand the looks on a TC. I'll leave the tip tanks for my 310. I also hope we can shorten the strut lengths on the landing gear. They are way too long to look scale IMO.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Thisstrangeengine

I believe this is the full scale plane they copied the color scheme from. It's the only picture I've seen and can't see the registration numbers but I think they are ZS-EMR

That is it...here is a link to another picture that shows the South Africa registration.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1151141/

Not sure why someone had to dump on it for a "hideous non-scale" color scheme, when it actually is quite representative of that exact aircraft. I would never make comments like that withour doing some basic research first.

All my scale Seagull models (Miles Sparrowhawk and Percival Mew Gull) have come without the decals installed, so leaving off the script on the wing is likely a non-issue. If it comes on there already, it can be peeled off.
    Electric Coolhunter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast