Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Black Horse Shrike Commander

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Black Horse Shrike Commander

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Black Horse Shrike Commander

Well its home,talked the wife into a small lone (no intrest.maybe I need to cut the lawns) Its most impressive,this is the first Black Horse model in my collection.Well worth the cost,now All I need to do is finish it (not my best point) Yours Paul T
Old 09-24-2011, 01:24 AM
Props4ever

Beautiful model, haven't seen it listed with any of our Canadian hobby retailers as yet, wonder when it will be available here. Every time i see a Shrike Commander it reminds me of seeing Bob Hover flying his plane at the 50th anniversary of Brampton Flying Club, i even met with Bob at the show and it was delight to met with the aviation legend and icon. Just coz of him, i would love to get one of these and turn it into replicating Bob's plane....
Old 09-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Quigleywins

Props4ever Some time back I rang a hobby shop that has the longest list of Black Horse models in stock. I placed the order an said ring when you get it.He rang last Wednesday. Now I have not see this Model listed anywhere in Australia in any hobby outlets. Maybe you may follow my method find the best supplier and then just wait. The finish if Fabulous,The only thing I dont like is how the big two stroke mufflers hang out the bottom,but I will have lots of time to think how I will deal with that. Yours Paul T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOZEgKXJMCE
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Quigleywins

Hi all Just a tip on the build of this aircraft. All goes toghether realy well but I did find that when you tighten the control arm on the shaft of the rudder that it will move as the nylon part of the control horne it only an interference fit in the nylon and will slip (trust me). All that is required to fix permantly is cut a very small piece of the retract line and put it on the screw. this takes up the slack detween the nylon part and the metal parts. Hope this helps Yours Paul T
Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Quigleywins

Ready to go just needs the 3 bladed props and spiners . Is there any one around thats flown one,love to here how it handled etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90564.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1673209  
Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 AM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't even built mine yet, anxious to hear about your maiden.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Quigleywins

handyman 220 thats not fair, I don'n fly that good so my mate Norn going to put it through its maiden next week end or the first day that is good with his work and wind. He flys the other mode to me so I have a seperate transmitter for such occations. Its quiet exciting come on week end. Yours Paul T
Old 10-12-2011, 04:59 AM
kleist

Hi,

I have built the same model and plan to test it for the first time friday - will post the result.

But - in my opinion, the retracts are of very poor quality. I do not trust them and plan to exchange them. They are very loose and do not seem firm.

Name:	Jh15699.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1673364  
Old 10-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Quigleywins

Yes you are spot on about the Dunlop suports they are very loose but they seem to track straight when in the forward direction (thank goodness there is no reverse) I have powered mine with OS46AX's. Kieist did you put some rubber tube on the shaft of the screw to stop the movement of the rudder. The nylon part was very loose in the center ,the metal bush is only a very poor push fit.
Lets know how that first flight goes. Yours Paul T PS the spiners and props will arrive today ,Just would not look right with 2 bladed ones.I wil post one more photo when the arrive. Just love the look.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM
handyman 220

I'll be checking this thread for the results of every ones maidens. I just have too many things that take priority over my building and flying. []
Old 10-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Prairie Mike

How did you guys hook up the rudder linkage?
I have a Bridi 79" commander and a Modaire 138" Commander and am stumped about the rudder linkage since the hinge line isn'r vertical.

suggestions?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Quigleywins

In the black horse model the wire from the rudder is held in the bottom of the fus in a wooden bush,this holds the wire in line with the rudder. Now because the push rod is in the centre of the fus it has the oppertunity to move up and down as required when moving back and forth.the push rod wire is bent to line up with the control horne.. When all is working you put the cover on and go flying. Hope this is OK for you. Iwill ,if I can find it ,a link to the manual for the aircraft,it is on line as I have looked at it. Yours Paul T
http://www.pitch.dk/pdf/BH90%20manual%20-Commander9.pdf
Page 22
Old 10-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Quigleywins

Looks even better.Yours Paul T

Name:	Sq47230.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	1673953  
Old 10-13-2011, 04:41 PM
handyman 220

Without a doubt the 3 blade looks awesome. Good luck on your maiden, keep us informed how she flies. [8D]
Old 10-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Quigleywins

Just ran the motors,now I need to remove the cowls to get them running more in sink. Not quiet right. still maybe Sunday.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:06 AM
jaimefernando

Many of us are waiting for you to show us how it flies.... Good luck!!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:46 AM
NMZ

Quigley's test pilot here....... can't wait to fly it! Retracts will be troublesome though, no question. Very poor, but it's made to a price remember, not a standard, so there is no point complaining folks. I don't expect they will stand up to grass runway work for very long. If the model flies as well as I expect, investing in a good set of retracts may be worth while.
Currently fly a big Cessna 310 and a Dual Ace, both with independent engine control and manual sync. Don't need that in Quig's planes. (QUIG?????? his real name is Felix)
I just sold my Great Planes Aerocommander kit after having it sitting in the shed for 27 years un-touched.

NMZ.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Quigleywins

NMZ, Norm Thanks for making you first post on this thread, Cowls are off ready for some serious tuning in the morning.I may put some adjustable conectors on the Carburettors ,I know there are some on one of the Top Flite jobs that aren't flyers yet.That should make the adjustment far easier than back in the wheel well. Yours Paul T PS Fixed the program in the TX its good to go.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 PM
NMZ

Spent some time setting up the throttle pushrods better (as close as possible with limited time and inclination....) on the Quigley Aerocommander today. Far too windy to test fly, plus major air leaks in the retract system so no "downlock" available to even test taxi the thing. That's a bit of a disadvantage with air-up/air-down systems - loose air and no down-lock available. At least we got the engines dialled in at about 12,000 each, that's about 500-600 off peak, and idling nicely each. My trick with twins - tune the engines separately, one at a time, to about 600-800rpm off peak at half-tanks, then leave the damn things alone - don't fiddle with them. Ever. Of course, that's after spending considerable time on the workbench getting all of the servos, throttle arms, pushrods identical in every minute detail.

A tip for those about to put one of these Shrikes together, make sure the wirethrottle pushrods are as straight as possible - you may have to re-drill the hole through the firewalls to better position them. Also, use two identical servos but fit one with a servo reverser and fit the pushrods on opposite sides of the servo arms - to make them both easy to access via thewheel well. Maybe Felix can photograph the two different servo setups we have - one is easy to get to, the other, nope!

We don't have the individual engine control on this model, that's my secret weapon for my twins...... Assuming Felix (some call him Paul) can get the gear holding some air, we hope to test fly mid-week. Still not hopeful of the landing gear A. working and B. lasting...... Adding some nice CJM or similar retracts really adds to the cost of the airplane, but it might be required, failing that, we'll manually lockwire the gear down for test flights if we have to.

Stay Tuned....

NMZ.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Quigleywins

Norn you did'nt mention how good it sounded at the 12 grand range. Yours Paul T .....PS Air leaks will be the number one item on the must do list Monday.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:54 PM
NMZ

Ah, okay then....................
"it sounded good in the 12 grand range...."
Engines within a hundred revs at mid throttle.

Tip 2 for new twin drivers: DON'TFIDDLEWITHTHEENGINE TUNETRYINGTOSYNCHTHEM.
Tune them separately, 600-800 off peak, (match to the lower revs if oneis not as fast) then leave them alone!!!!!
If you've spent the hours doing a fine job of all the servo's, pushrods and set-up, you won't have to worry about Synch, or engine failures.

Dead engine? Turning with the remaining engine (yes, into the "dead" engine) is a whole lot easier than against it. Keep the turns shallow.

NMZ
Old 10-22-2011, 12:41 AM
zob007

Hi, this is a nice thread and I can't wait to hear some flight reviews.
One question is there an electric conversion kit included in the box?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Quigleywins

Zob007 The first flight may be on Friday (Norm's day off) but we will need reasonable weather,but I will inform all after the event. At this stage she will be flown with the gear down,I have lost all faith in it working corectly.As soon as I'm able to I will fit the Century Jet set that I'm told will fit. Problems solved.
As to the fitting of the Elect..... there is nothing supplyed in the kit. Yours Paul T
Old 10-31-2011, 02:39 AM
NMZ

Thursday or Friday should be a goer Felix. (no other bookings!!!) I'm not surprised the landing gear doesn't hold air......... they sure did look poor quality. But I'd like to take a good look at them out of the model one day. Might be able to weave some of my mojo into them.

Will also be flying my DualAce re-engined with two new JEN 47 engines. Spent a bit over two hours setting those up to perfection the other day.

NMZ
Old 10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Quigleywins

Well all is ready ,I hope for this week. I'v put the link on for the weather for the regon that we will be flying in ,the wind speed at this stage is excellent for Friday.
Between the two of us we have 4 flying Twins .We each have a Duel Ace , Mine has a pair of APS 61s Norms have the new JEN 47s ,Norm also has a Cessna 310 with OS 46 AXs ,So you could say we will having a private twins day this week at the field. Yours Paul T
http://www.eldersweather.com.au/vic/...entral/kyneton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.