Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

On the drawing board - Grumman C-2 Grayhound 1/8

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

On the drawing board - Grumman C-2 Grayhound 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 PM
chymas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the drawing board - Grumman C-2 Grayhound 1/8

I am still in the drawing process of building a C-2 Grayhound 1/8 scale 120" wing span. I am trying to figure out what engines would be best for this plane. With the nacells drawn up I can fit DA-50R's almost perfectly. Are these engines too big? Maybe a couple of 30 cc engines? Iwould like to be able to turn scale props, I haven't seen that done very often. The DA-50 would turn the 20" four blade props.

I have never seen a C-2 built before, I did see an E-2 awsome build but didn't make it past the maiden. Felt bad for the guy, my heart sank when I watched the video. Iknow the C-2 isn't the sexiest plane ever, the reason for the build, I worked on the C-2 for four years in the Navy. It grew on me.

Any ideas would be helpfull.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37921.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1633287  
Old 07-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: On the drawing board - Grumman C-2 Grayhound 1/8

Great project chymas, love the out of the ordinary stuff. In my experience a couple of 50cc gassers in an airplane such as this would be a tremendous amount of power but in this case, where you plan to swing scale four bladers, probably not too much. If they fit within the cowls I would say go for it.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:19 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30 to 50cc would do just fine. I flew a Ziroli DC-3 (12ft span) with G-38's .Plenty of power. http://www.syssaaircraft.com/ are the engines going into a twin otter of simular size. For turbo prop cowlings,nothing hangs out. Comes with rear induction/ exhaust so no extra 60 to 100. sticker shock for alternative exhaust.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 PM
chymas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly what I had in mind. Do you know anything about the reliability?

ORIGINAL: SIMCO

30 to 50cc would do just fine. I flew a Ziroli DC-3 (12ft span) with G-38's .Plenty of power. http://www.syssaaircraft.com/ are the engines going into a twin otter of simular size. For turbo prop cowlings,nothing hangs out. Comes with rear induction/ exhaust so no extra 60 to 100. sticker shock for alternative exhaust.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:01 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We will find out shortly. Making standoff's on the lathe so I an run on my engine stand. RCU Forum for engines has a good feedback for these engines.