Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Wing MFG A26

Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Black Drape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing MFG A26

Hey Guys

I picked up a Wing A26 this last weelend at a swap meet. The fellow who had it threw the beds for the foam wings away. I called Wing and they are no longer in business, and have no parts. I don't know if I should try to sheet the cores without the beds or try to find some someplace else. I would sure hate to build a warp into the wing. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.
Thanks for any info.
Ron
Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Wing MFG A26

Just saw your post so I hope you haven't done anything rash yet. I saw another post that I am trying to find again that talked about, and had a link to, a company that provides super thins fiberglass skins. And they don't seem to need the beds. I will try to find it again and let you know.
I just bought a Wing kit on eBay but it claims it is brand new. No wood kit so that will be fun.

Thanks,
Bob Burrill

ORIGINAL: Black Drape

Hey Guys

I picked up a Wing A26 this last weelend at a swap meet. The fellow who had it threw the beds for the foam wings away. I called Wing and they are no longer in business, and have no parts. I don't know if I should try to sheet the cores without the beds or try to find some someplace else. I would sure hate to build a warp into the wing. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.
Thanks for any info.
Ron
Old 10-09-2011, 09:32 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to this thread, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82..._2/key_/tm.htm and check and check out post #40. I have a big B-17 with foam wings and no schucks as well. I used Titebond glue and an iron, on a flat table to sheet the wings. Works really well and is easy to do.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bob,

I have experience with super thin fiberglass skin. That would be plan B.

Just sheet the wings with balsa and use a good contact adheasive. You won't need the cores.

Done plenty wings this way, so I'm not just making something up.

Charles
Old 10-10-2011, 02:31 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

What is the issue with the fiberglass skins? Is it cost, weight, strength, or just personal preference? This will be my first attempt at foam wings and I want to do things right but I like the idea of painting the plane silver instead of using Monocote. And I thought painting would be easier on fiberglass. I did a Corsair in Solartex and painted it - came out beautiful but heavy.

Thanks,
Bob Burrill

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

Bob,

I have experience with super thin fiberglass skin. That would be plan B.

Just sheet the wings with balsa and use a good contact adheasive. You won't need the cores.

Done plenty wings this way, so I'm not just making something up.

Charles