Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

lateral balance

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lateral balance

With both engines at 90 deg on a twin, is there a sufficient amount of weight that needs to be placed on the left wingtip to lateraly balance a twin. I can place my battery against the left side of the fuse to help a little, however it will take a bit more weight to completely balance the plane. I read in an article about adding weight to a wing tip to conteract the torque on takeoff. I believe it was to make the right wing tip a little bit heavier. Would this also hold true for twins?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 AM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: lateral balance

...all planes need to be balanced laterally...bo
Old 03-09-2012, 02:10 PM
gerryndennis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lateral balance

G'day Flyboy,

Yes add weight to the wing tip to laterally balance. Your plane will fly nicer.

The article about putting weight in the right wing tip to counteract propeller effects (spiral slipstream and offset thrust, not torque BTW), is generally accepted as rubbish. It would only work while accelerating during the initial part of the takeoff run and have no effect once speed had stabilised, whereas rudder is needed for the final part of the takeoff and climb. The tip weight would adversely affect the entire flight and landing.

Better to use the rudder to keep straight, that's what it's there for.

Dave H