Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

twin motor newbie!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 AM
donone1961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin motor newbie!?

i just got a cheep (Chinese) eBay plane and put it to gather using the super un-detailed instructions (pic only) everything is working but the motors they both beep loudly and will not engage when throttle is applied.

they are connected by y harness to the power (deans connecter) to a single lipo and y harness to the receiver. all going into my spectrum 6 channel receiver. trans is DX7 by spectrum.

this is my first attempt at a twin i have checked the throttle reversing it is set right start-up throttle down and trim is set to lowest setting. i only paid $75 bucks for the Styrofoam Cessna 421 1600mm (63 inch) wing span made by zdfly so if better speed controls are needed that can be done also this seems like a big plane to fly with a single 3 cell 2200 mHa lipo. so anyway any help for the newbie would be great.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: twin motor newbie!?

Can you disconnect on of the motors and see if the other one will run by itself?? Do you have one speed controller or two....that wasn't clear from your post......
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM
P-39 fan

Did you cut one of the red wires from the Y harness going to one of the ESC's?? You need to do that when running a twin electric.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 AM
donone1961

thanks Wayne and p-39 for your reply
Wayne i have 2 speed controls and they don't work any way i try.

p-39 i will try your idea today with a short extension with red wire cut i hate to destroy a y harness that and i have a ton of extensions.

i will post results tonight.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
donone1961

ok i tried cutting the red wire on one legs of the y harness going to one of the esc they both are still beeping

should i cut the red wire going to the receiver on the Y from the ESC's ?

also i cut a 6" extension red wire to save the Y harness and i tried the cut extension on both ESC's one at a time but did not try the receiver leg of the y i suspect that won't work too.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:28 PM
91zulu

Ok if you are using 2 ESC, remove one of the red wires from the connector of ONE of the ESCs. You cant have the two power wires from the ESCs into the receiver at the same time. If you dont understand let us know. Also make sure that your ATV on the throttle is at 100% both low and high throttle. If low throttle is at 45, 75 80% the ESC will beep because it is reading the throttle as open so it would not arm because of the safety circuit that will not arm the ESC when the throttle IS open. The throttle has to be fully closed. Meaning that there has to be 100% throttle travel low and high. Other issue could be a low battery.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 PM
donone1961

i did every thing you asked it still beeping here is a pic showing the wiring. i dont understand it i own 15 planes 5 electrics i have never run into this before i reset the Tx changed the RX from AR6000 to AR7000. everything is set right even installed a extension on one of the Y legs between the Rx and one on the ESC's. what next please!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57390.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1754606  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 PM
donone1961

please NOTE clipped red wire on Y extension i'm thinking faulty ESC one or both ? LOL this is nuts! is there a motor to ESC wiring combination that would cause this ? everything else on the plane work perfect.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 PM
91zulu

Did you check each individual motor to see it they work by themselves? What kind of beeping are you getting? Is it a fast continuous beeping or is there a pause in between beeps? Also what ESC are you using. The beeps mean something and the paper work that come with the ESC should tell you what the beeping you are getting mean.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 PM
donone1961

paper work LOLOLOLOL i wish its a Chinese kit they don't do paper work the esc came with the plane i have no clue what they are i did try to hook up one motor and esc one at a time with the same results the beeps are every 1 second maybe a tad longer no more then 2 seconds apart and the motors twitch with the beeps i shot a video but its to big to post here.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM
91zulu

That sounds like the esc is getting an irregular throttle signal. That may be your radio. RX and Tx. Are you sure you the ESC is plugged into the throttle channel? If yes do you have another RX to do a test. Maybe its your RX. I know you said your servos work but just to be sure it is not the RX do a swap and see if the same thing happens.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
91zulu

Or try a different radio if you have another one. Maybe an old 72Mhz.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 PM
91zulu

If all fails here is a post of someone that has the same plane. Find out from him about the ESC and his set up.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...=91zulu&top=50
Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Dangaras

Setup the model with one ESC & motor at a time. You might also try decreasing the throttle trim. Sometimes ESCs will beep if they see a throttle signal other than zero when power is applied to the RX.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
donone1961

latest update i drove 40 miles to Robbies Hobbies in Richmond hill,Ga. and i asked the owner take a look at the plane we were able to bind one of the motors but we could not get the other to work even fallowing the same process as the first motor. he determined the motor esc should be checked further and suggested i try swapping the esc first. i will also have to cut a hatch into the top of the nacelle to access the wiring. a minor set back ! this plane will fly! i tell you. lol anyway i'm getting closer updates will fallow i'm taking a break tonight.................................Donald
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
donone1961

SUCCESS! success! SUCCESS! I have found the problem, I pulled both Motors and ESC'S and compared the non working one with the working one and found the black and white wires switched on the esc side of the non working ESC, I un-solderer it and re soldered it back on to match the working one then hooked everything back up to the receiver and boom there fixed ! everything works exactly the same i have trimmed the plane and as soon at MR obama leaves Georgia i can maiden this puppy! i am a little worried about the crappy servos but that will be another day i see a set of spectrum digital servos and maybe bigger ESCs 40 -50 amp with larger motors and a 4 cell 5000Mha battery to extend the fly time. i will be using a little bit bigger and batter battery for the maiden flight i have one 2550 3 cell to use if this is sluggish i will think of further upgrades.. wish me luck! And thank you all for your help with this plane i am kinda new to RC universe forums but I have been overwhelmingly pleased with the kind helpful folks that have helped me! again THANK YOU! and i wish you all Calm Blue sky's and smooth landings !...............Donald
Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM
91zulu

Yea the infamous wrong wiring, that will do it every time. Glade you found the problem, good eye. Well happy flying now