Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Eagle Tree Guardian

Does anybody have experience of using this in a twin to help with the dreaded one engine out situation?
    Thanks, John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Eagle Tree Guardian

John - I've just received a Guardian unit, but haven't yet had a chance to try it. so can't help much with a usage report. It's not going in a twin, but an aerobatic model, where I'm hoping it will come to my rescue if needed. I don't think you actually NEED a Guardian for a twin though, I've found previous threads where people have just used a helicopter tail gyro to sense the yaw and give the correct rudder input, though I'm sure some stabilisation in roll would help, too. Frankly, there's really only one way to find out for sure - try one and see! Be sure to report back and let us know, won't you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the response (Gordon I think?). I'll try the heli gyro first once I've dug it out of the wreck but will be very interestd to hear how you get on with the Guardian.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not sure the Guardian is a perfect answer, but it has possibilities. The question is, do you expect it to keep you out of trouble for a few brief seconds while you get the other engine throttled back, or are you expecting it to provide enough control to permit continued flight on one dead engine ?

In simple rate damping mode (what they call 3D), but with heading lock disabled, the Guardian should buy you some time by slowing down the initial response to power loss. But if you have heading lock enabled in 3D mode, then the Guardian may or may not be your friend. Depending on the aerodynamics of your particular airplane and how you have your Guardian response set up, yaw toward the dead engine could be exaggerated due to adverse yaw from aileron input.

In 3D mode, my understanding of the Guardian is that it will try to keep pitch, roll and yaw attitudes level unless you make a control input. If the airplane begins to yaw and roll into the dead engine and you have no stick input, the system will try to keep you straight and level. But does it use aileron or rudder (or both) to keep your wings level and on the original heading ? And how would your airplane respond to an aileron correction in the presence of a strong yawing tendency ? I think a lot would depend on the particular aerodynamics of your airplane and also on the way the Guardian's many features are set up.

Bottom line is that the Guardian may be a great help, but will require some special testing and adjustments to tune it to your airplane. Unfortunately, the testing could cost you a few airplanes in the process.

Dick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

Im not usally in this area but saw the Eagle Tree thread so here go's
    I was one of the Lucky Beta testers and it's a great unit.

I have tested it in 2D = wing leveling mode in take off, flying, recovery, and landing.

I have tested it in 3D = stabilzaton just keep the plane from getting bounced around too much / being unstable.
    3D = Direct rate, like a 3 axis gyro that turns off when you move the sticks for better response
    3D = Heading hold, w/direct rate a 3 axid gyro that flys like an arrow as long as your plane can hold that line.
    For example if you roll right into knife edge it will attempt to hold it to the limits of the servos, setup, and plane. (You can turn auto coordination on and off too)

For twins I want to test engine out, but do not have a plane that I can do it with at this time. I did not see anyone else in the beta that tried that sorry.
    2D uses bank angle for heading control, if you turn off turn coordination I belieive the Rudder works as a Yaw damper. Then that might work.... test it on something cheap : )

http://www.youtube.com/user/aero1965...e=results_main

Here is my YouTube Channel with some of the test flights with my turbine MB339 and F4D skyray.
    Aloha, Duke Chung
    Hawaii Jets

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Help. I have a new eagle tree guardian and need help setting up my DX8 transmitter and AR8000 receiver in a Funtana 125 with a DLE 20cc gas engine. I have an optical cut-off for the gas engine that I would like to keep active on the gear switch. Would like to have the programming for setting the guardian on the flap/gyro 3 position switch. Any one out there with this programming experience?
    John
    AMA 615755

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB96041 View Post
    Help. I have a new eagle tree guardian and need help setting up my DX8 transmitter and AR8000 receiver in a Funtana 125 with a DLE 20cc gas engine. I have an optical cut-off for the gas engine that I would like to keep active on the gear switch. Would like to have the programming for setting the guardian on the flap/gyro 3 position switch. Any one out there with this programming experience?
    Would also be nice if the Aux 3 knob could be set to adjust the gain on the guardian. Thanks.
    John
    AMA 615755

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi Guys,
    I have the Eagle Tree Guardian installed into my A26K by VQ models. I am using an Airtronics RDS8000 (2.4 gig), with an Airtronics 8-channel receiver, w/three Airtronics 94322 servo's, 2 each HS 225MG's on throttles and HD 6001 for the rudder/steering servo.

At first when I installed the Guardian...nothing worked...so went on line, updated my unit and down loaded a great information sheet on the unit, from RCGroups.

This is the web address for Eagle Tree.
    http://eagletreesystems.com/guardian/index.htm

This is an excellent PDF file to setting up your Guardian...for the complete idiots guide (thank the gods for this little bit of information)...
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=354219

I first went on line and down loaded the program for updating my Guardian, from Eagle Tree, into my PC. Its free and after updating and updating my Guardian, solved a lot of my initial problems. You will need a Standard USB Micro B Cable (USB-CAB-MICRO) to plug into the Guardian unit and your PC (you can buy this cable from Eagle Tree or Radio Shack). Once the program is up on your PC...you simply plug in your Guardian into a USB port and its up and running.
    If your new to the Eagle Tree Guardian...you need to read the information that Rick Wardrop put together. There is an eleven page set up sheet by this gentleman and believe me, its worth the time to down load this information and print out his guide. He makes setting up your Guardian much easier and explains its set up issues...no matter what kind of Transmitter your using.

For such a little unit...it can do many things and don't let its micro size fool you. There is a lot of potential in this auto-pilot/stabilization unit.

Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A26K - 2 005.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	1924113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A26K - 2 007.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	1924112
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A26K - 2 004.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	1924111  
    Last edited by Bob Paris; 09-23-2013 at 12:54 AM.
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Bobby,

I am considering putting a Guardian in my TF B25 and ESM Tigercat to also hopefully minimize the problem of a dreaded engine out scenario on a twin. As I see you have it in a twin, did you (or anybody else out there) have a chance to try it?

Thanks,

Sporto