Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Northeast Aerodynamics Twin Air .45 Short Kits

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Northeast Aerodynamics Twin Air .45 Short Kits

Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 AM
Owl
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Northeast Aerodynamics Twin Air .45 Short Kits

Thanks for doing this John.
If you run the twin tail version I'll change my order to one single and one twin tail kit.
One kit to build now and one to squirrel away in my secret stash of kits for later...
Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Owl

Thanks for doing this John.
If you run the twin tail version I'll change my order to one single and one twin tail kit.
One kit to build now and one to squirrel away in my secret stash of kits for later...
Ditto. I want to express my appreciation too.

In the event you choose to offer the twin tail version, you can count on me to take one kit of each version.

Not every day you find people willing to produce a desirable out-of-production kit, and we recogize the significant effort required.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Anyone have a pic of what the twin tail version looks like?

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 AM
NortheastAero
My Feedback: (6)

Try this link for a picture/thread on the Twin-Air .45 Twin-Tail
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#1614026

Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Twin_Flyer

Very cool!

Put me down for the twin tail version, now that I have seen one!

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:34 PM
panhandler

If you offer the twin tail John , you can count me in for one .
Than you
Dan

Old 11-04-2012, 03:40 AM
sbd-3

I will take what ever version you make... but i would like a twin tail if possible.....
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 AM
NortheastAero

Hi all,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you all but Sandy had something to do with it. Below is a chart of the people who have expressed interest in the Twin-Air .45 kits (both the standard tail and the Twin-Tail) as well as a couple of Sport-Air .60 kits. To confirm your spot in the kit run just send me a PM with your real name and shipping address and I'll ammend my master chart with that information. This will give me an idea of how many kits I have to make up.

The current hangup on my side is that I have one plotter left which I use to print the plan sets. This plotter is very old and uses a Centronics parallel port connector on the back and none of my equipment can connect to it. In the past I used a Print Server which connected to the local network and translated the network signal/data into Centronics format. Unfortunately in one of the power failures, spikes, or just old age has caused this device to die. I have another on order. Also in looking over the plotter I checked the ink cartridge and ordered a new one of those as well. Unfortunately this identified yet another problem in that the belt that drives the ink shuttle has completely deteriorated and has fallen apart. This part was harder to locate but a replacement had been ordered but it has not shipped yet. The good news is that the plans can get printed at any time during the kit run and if all else fails I can find a Fedex/Kinko's somewhere to print the plans but this will add additional cost to the kits.

Take care,
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56339.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	1817505  
Old 11-04-2012, 03:03 PM
NortheastAero

Hi all,

We're getting a good response to the short kits, thanks.

Twin Flyer and I were discussing off line the differences between the Twin-Air .45 Mark I and the Mark II kits. So I thought I'd carry that conversation out here for all of you who may be interested.

The change over to the Mark-II revision was both an update to improve the kit and to improve the manufacturability of the kit and reduce production costs to keep the kit prices low. So the Mark-II kits were born by consolidating the fuselage, wing, and tail designs of the Twin-Air .45 and the Sport-Air .60 kits. The SA60 can first followed by a modified SA60 which became the TW45 Mark I and the kits diverged a bit from there with the introduction of the Twin-Tail option for the Twin-Air .45 (a group effort asked for by folks on RCU). So the Mark-II brought both kits back into a common line again and they share just about everything from landing gear to the wing and fuselage. To make a Twin-Air .45 Mark-II kit I start with a Sport-Air .60 kit, add a nose block and a nacelle kit and I'm done. Attached is a picture of a Sport-Air .60 with the Mark-II changes. In particular to note is that the wing airfoil has changed to a thinner airfoil and that the ailerons are no longer strip ailerons running the length of the wing. The new aileron arrangement provided an answer to modelers who wanted mor aileron (just add another bay) or wanted to add flaps to the design (just cut them out like the ailerons!). The new wing was stronger than the original (although we had no complaints about the strength of the wing) but thinner. The combination gave us a faster plane that had a better low-speed than before.

Also note the new nose-wheel on the SA60, that's what comes with the Mark-II TW45 and SA60 kits.

Since the SA60 and the TW45 were virtually identical, there was a short-lived kit called the Tri-Air which was a TW45 without its nose block and had three .32-sized engines up front and on the nacelles. I had even envisioned a double nacelle kit to turn the Twin-Air .45 into a 4-engined beast of four .25-sized 2C engines. The wing had the strength for all of this. Unfortunately, the market never picked up on these variations and they died in the test markets. About that time it was clear that the Chinese imports were turning out ARF airplanes for about my wood costs and the writing was on the wall to close Northeast Aerodynamics.

So look at the picture below and at the aileron configuration.This is the style wing you will be getting with the Twin-Air .45 Mark-II or the Sport-Air .60 Mark-II. If this is not what you were expecting, let me know and you can change your orders. I don't want to make kits that are not what you wanted.

<o></o>

Name:	Db86188.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	1817570  
Old 11-04-2012, 04:08 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. barn door ailerons with Flap option, sounds good to me.

Don
Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Twin_Flyer

Im down for one SA60 as well PLUS the TT45!

Think a DLE20 would be too much for the SA60?

Also, does the kit list what additional wood needs to be purchased? I have never built a short kit and would like an idea of what would have to be ordered to finish it (not counting hardware).

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 AM
NortheastAero

Each kit contains a Bill of Materials (BOM). For each part on the BOM for the full kit that is not included in the Short Kit will be hi-lighted in yellow so you can easily see what needs to be added to bring the Short Kit back up to a full kit.

Do you have a 3-view and weight of the DLE-20? I can run the dimensions against the plans and let you know.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Twin_Flyer

Here are the specs:

http://www.redwingrc.com/engines/dle-20cc.htm

Hmmm, RCU is having issues again as i cant upload the two images I have with the measuremnts on them...

Its on page 22 of the owners manual, available as a down from Tower Hobbies.

Bill S.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:53 PM
NortheastAero

At a quick glance . . .

1. The DLE is 3 ounces heavier than an OS .95 2C glow (I have an OS .91 in one Sport-Air .60) so you may need to move things around a little to balance the plane or add tail weight.
2. The DLE-20 is 5.4" from the back of the carb to the front of the thrust ring whereas the engine compartment in the SA60 is 5.25". So you'll have to extend the nose about 3/16"-1/2" + the thickness of your engine mount depending on your engine mount for the DLE-20 and this will change the diameter of the spinner you use. You could also cut a new firewall (F1) and move the firewall backward into the fuel tank compartment. Gas is better on fuel consumption than glow so this might work but this will move the nose wheel bearing aft and that is not so good.
3. Assuming you dont move the firewall back and make a new one, the dimensions of F1 are 3.32" tall by 3.48" wide. This should work for an engine mount for the DLE-20. I'd use one of the adjustable nylon mounts (Great Planes?) and go from there.
4. Be prepared to use a 3-blade propeller to ensure propper ground clearance for the prop tips.

So "it might work out for you", but I have not tried it

Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 PM
A6TEXAN

I found this and decided to post for those who cant recall how "cool" they are.

Name:	Sq46732.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1817975  
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Free Bird

Hi all,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you all but Sandy had something to do with it. Below is a chart of the people who have expressed interest in the Twin-Air .45 kits (both the standard tail and the Twin-Tail) as well as a couple of Sport-Air .60 kits. To confirm your spot in the kit run just send me a PM with your real name and shipping address and I'll ammend my master chart with that information. This will give me an idea of how many kits I have to make up.

The current hangup on my side is that I have one plotter left which I use to print the plan sets. This plotter is very old and uses a Centronics parallel port connector on the back and none of my equipment can connect to it. In the past I used a Print Server which connected to the local network and translated the network signal/data into Centronics format. Unfortunately in one of the power failures, spikes, or just old age has caused this device to die. I have another on order. Also in looking over the plotter I checked the ink cartridge and ordered a new one of those as well. Unfortunately this identified yet another problem in that the belt that drives the ink shuttle has completely deteriorated and has fallen apart. This part was harder to locate but a replacement had been ordered but it has not shipped yet. The good news is that the plans can get printed at any time during the kit run and if all else fails I can find a Fedex/Kinko's somewhere to print the plans but this will add additional cost to the kits.

Take care,
John
John,

Contact Hemikiller, he can print all you want and does outstanding work. tell him I sent you.

R
Old 11-18-2012, 09:59 AM
NortheastAero

Hi all,

The kit run is in progress. Below is the list of people who have responded to the intial inquiry about wanting kits and those that have confirmed they want a kit, or two. I have two items back ordered that are needed for the kit run to complete. This will drag out the kit run a bit. Couple thiswith I have a business trip for my day job the week after Thanksgiving and I'm expecting the kits to be completed in the first week of December. I'll keep you posted if things improve or if the tentative schedule slips.

Name:	Nl29016.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1821482  
Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
NortheastAero

HI all,

Just checking in. All of the wood that needs to be cut for this kit run has been cut and boxed up appropriately. All that is left is to bend the main landing gear for each kit and to plot the plans. I'm still working on a plotter solution and will be in touch when that part is finished. The kits will be more expensive than the original guestimate of $125/kit. I was shocked by the price increase in balsa in today's prices and further shocked that 4" stock is more than twice the price of 3" stock. I had to supplement my on-hand balsa stock with newly purchased balsa stock in order to complete the kit run. I'll finish pricing the kits as soon as I know how much printing the plans is going to cost me. The good news is that I don't believe in creating inflation and am costing the balsa stock I had on hand at my cost to purchase and not at the cost to replace the stock with today's prices. The next kit run will have to have higher prices because all of the wood will be newly purchased but I'll have time to rework the layout to use 3" stock instead of 4" stock whih should help offset the cost increase.

To keep the cost of each kit down, how do you guys feel about getting the full-color manual (106 pages) as a PDF instead of a paper printed manual or an additional $10/kit if you want the printed manual?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

PDF is fine with me.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

PDF works great
John
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 AM
panhandler

PDF works for me .
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM
acemcduck
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes sir, PDF will be fine.

Thanks
Dave
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM
SRQFlyer
My Feedback: (17)

PDF is just fine by me.
Jim
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Owl
My Feedback: (8)

I can make do with the pdf but given the option I would give you ten bucks to print it.

I'm looking forward to this.
Building season is underway. [8D]
I have a TF Giant P-47 started and a spot on my other building table for this!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Twin_Flyer

PDF works for me!

Also, I want one SA60 as well...

Hope its not too late!
Bill S.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.