Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Ziroli DC-3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ziroli DC-3

There is still time to make Toledo the first of April...
    Ed Clayman,
    FliteMetal.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys, all,

Super thread, fantastic building and finishing!!! the patients and endurance shown here is a testament that scale is alive and very well!!

Thought I'd throw a couple of ideas your way on recent questions conserning pilot figures and rivets.

A good outlet for the 1/8th figures is a good friend of mine in Texas, Gary Dye at just-the-pits.com his bomber pilot can be re-painted for civi use and to make pilot/ co pilot. they are very light and are cast hollow. He also does all the cockpits for yellow aircraft and is a rep.

Button rivets on natural alum. has always posed a problem. It'd be nice if the aluminum would draw down around the buttons and finish nice!! (some other planet). The only thing I've used that works well and can be weathered is to add Testors acrylic silver paint to zap 560 canopy glue. Mix it up well and drop the rivets in the normal way. The zap 560 dries clear so the silver is left to show and sticks to the aluminum very well. Zap 560 is my normal rivet glue and is formulated to stick well to smooth surfaces with little or no bite. Aluminum is actually a very good surface for adhesives because of it's natural porocity.

just some things that have worked for me, You guys keep up the fantastic work!!!

And to you Scale Aero, thanks for the kind words a couple of years ago at Toledo!
    It's great to be back!

GH

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks GH;Good to hear from you.I haven't really decided weather or not to add rivits,but I probabily will.With your experience with multi engine types and your own Ziroli DC3,what do you think of using Saito 170's for power?Thanks Steve
    Steve Daly
    MAAC #14007
    Challenger2 C-IECP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi steve,

She is going to be a beauty!! I see you used most of the original panel lay-out. Great work on the cowls, it's the hardest part on the dc-3.
    Did you use the Ziroli cowlings? I bought mine there but the vents are open on mine.

I just updated my site, FUSELAGE I, second halve, FUSELAGE II and CENTER WING are the updated pages.

Keep on building!!,

Bart Nopper
    www.propellor.tv

P.s. somehow I cannot upload any pics here. I alsways get a message saying that " There was an error saving the file to disk". That's why I maintain the website. Sorry.
    http://www.propellor.tv

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Button rivets on natural alum. has always posed a problem. It'd be nice if the aluminum would draw down around the buttons and finish nice!!"...

This is something that works well for rivet pucker... When you lay out your rivet pattern press down into Flite-Metal just hard enough to create what I call a "rivet divot". Place your rivet into the center of the "rivet divot" for what is as realistic a rivet pucker as can be replicated.

If you are mixing your own rivet chemistry or using ours it is highly desired to either have it dry crystal clear or tinted. Natural or unpainted rivets are either domed, flush, or slightly lower than the surrounding panels. Flush and puckered flush are multi-colored. There are three sizes of domed rivets on the DC-3/C-47.
    Ed Clayman,
    FliteMetal.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the rivit divot idea Ed I was thinking about something along that line.Spacing may be a concern,i think they'll be pretty close together at 1/8th scale.I'll do some trial runs on some scrap material first.I won't be putting all the rivits on there I'm sure.
    Bart;I scratched those cowls using the cowl ring from a Top Flight SR-9 and foam,fiberglass cloth and West System epoxy.The stock cowls were a bit too small for the Saito 170 radials.
    I checked out your updates Bart ,it really is coming along nicely, keep at it.I love that colour scheme also. I seen the pics of it on Airliners.net,shes one of the nicest DC3's in that whole collection and i'm sure yours will be just as nice.
    Steve Daly
    MAAC #14007
    Challenger2 C-IECP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Steve:

I thought you ordered the AK packaged Flite-Metal. In the AK packaging the application tools included our rivet
    divot wheel...blue. Depending on the scale spacing you either use it as is or file down every other point. One or
    the other of these should be close enough to scale to work for you. The spacing on a DC-3 is very close for many
    of the rivet...divots... Looking good....
    Ed Clayman,
    FliteMetal.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't get the tools on the last order but had some from a previous order for my 1/4 scale floats years ago.I still have the wheel for divots also,so no prob Ed I'll give it a whirl...
    Steve Daly
    MAAC #14007
    Challenger2 C-IECP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Steve I would like to say thanks for all the pictures,they have been a great help with my 3. I would like to know what you did for elevator push rods? I can't decide on pushrods or servos under stab in fuse.Thanks Jon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jon; I used Sullivan pushrods 601quot I believe with the servos mounted forward as per plan.The main reason was to keep the weight forward.One could probabily mount smaller high torque servos aft as did one fellow in an earlier post..
    Steve Daly
    MAAC #14007
    Challenger2 C-IECP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've really enjoyed this thread and I would like to see you fly your DC-3. When are you going to fly her for the first time? Sault Ste Marie Ontario for me could be an adventure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Might be doing it in S.Ont In April.It'll be done on a longer field down there not sure which one yet,but I'll keep ya posted...Thanks for the interest...Steve
    Steve Daly
    MAAC #14007
    Challenger2 C-IECP

I've got chills

Unbelievable job, looking at that last batch of pictures really started giving me a sense of nostalgia, even without the wings! I've no idea why, but I found myself humming the theme song to "Indiana Jones" while I was looking at the pics
    Crumpets and english muffins are NOT the same!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve
    It has been a while since I started watching your thread. I just want to tell you that you should be proud of the work that you have done on the 3. I have over the years collected all of the parts to build mine. I will be using G-38's for power. I hope to start building it in a few months. I am rebuilding my 24 year old Morrisey Bravo from a recent crash. I have another Morrisey behind the rebuild which is ready for covering. I recently finished a 4 year restoration of a 1960 TR3A Triumph car. During the restoration the models were just about put on hold. Again great job. Once I start mine I am sure that I will have a few questions.
    Good Luck on the first flight.
    Fred[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Fred;I'm pretty well done covering the outer wing sections ,just a few panels left to do,wow it took some time but I've been busy with other things like work .I'll post some pics soon...I used to really like those TR6's years ago in high school,they were and still are a pretty cool car..congrats.
    Steve Daly
    MAAC #14007
    Challenger2 C-IECP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Steve:

IΒ΄m Jose from Spain and IΒ΄m following all your posts. I think youΒ΄re doing a great job. IΒ΄m making a C-47 too (4 meters wingspan) and your posts are being very helpful. I will mount 2- Zenoah 45 to make her a scale flight.
    I would use engines from EVO that have a special application for this twin engines planes. They produce the EVO80TT with inverted turning and simetrical, that allows to avoid the torque effect. The problem for me is that this engines are too much powerfull for my scale C-47. You can see them in www.evo-engines.com

I hope you be very lucky in your test flights!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Steve, I stumbled across you're build thread about a year ago when I decided to build the top flight dc-3. I've been checking back regularly since, you're work is fantastic, I cant wait to see the finished product. Just today I ordered my set of ziroli plans. I have built two top flight kits, a sig citabria, a sig hog bipe, and a couple of arfs, Just wondering if you think I'll be able to tackle this plane given my building experience? I'm a little concerned about not having a manual to follow, are the plans quite detailed? Youre thread will certainly help. I'll include some pictures of my junior size c-47. Thanks Trevor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43002.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	427596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh20487.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	427597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tz67135.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	427598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vp38295.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	427599  
    Remember Taxiing always leads to flying!! & what goes up must come down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Trevor,looks like your a DC3 enthusiast and your T/F DC3 is coming right along nicely,have you flown it yet?If you can build the T/F version I don't see why you can'y build the Ziroli version.Remember wing tip washout is critical on the DC3 you need at least 2 degrees.Also a kit cutter helps speed up the process.
    I'm basically finished mine I just installed the cabin windows and will be doing some balancing soon.I'm waiting for some nicer weather so I can add paint etc.I don't have much room for assembly in my basement so in a couple of weeks I'll get it outside.

Name:	Ay74026.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	427684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51191.jpg 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	427685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af90505.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	427686  
    Steve Daly
    MAAC #14007
    Challenger2 C-IECP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve youre plane looks fantastic, great jop on the fm. No I haven't flown it yet I still have about a month of finishing to do, and then I will probably want at least another year of flying under my belt before I get up the nerve to give her a go. What kit cutter did you use?
    ( or did you?). and where you happy with the quality. also how long did it take to arrive after ordering. Thanks for the reply, Trevor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry Steve one more question, Im still learning tons!! is the 2 degree washout built into the plans or is it up to the builder to make happen? and is it 2 degrees from root to tip (where the dihedril starts after the engines) or just at the tip. thanks again Trevor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking forward to seeing paint and finishing on your project. I would like to focus on your bird
    in a new CD I am compiling for various applications of Flite-Metal. If you can do so please send
    me a CD with all your images so that I may use them in the compilation. Richard McFarland did
    so and I need a large project like your's as well. Its seeing the little things that answers the most
    questions people ask.
    Ed Clayman,
    FliteMetal.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe its shown on the plan Trevor,just remember as you build your panels that you have your washout setup correctly from tip to root.Also you may want to get a twin trainer like the Twin-Air and fly that for a year before you fly yours.I got Hobby Hangers OV-10 and flew that last summer and learned a lot about flying twins from that bird.Go to PecisionCutKits.com thats were I got mine,Larry does nice work and he may have some DC3 kits in stock.Nick Ziroli has all the fiberglassand other accessories.
    Ed I'll work on that CD for ya..
    Steve Daly
    MAAC #14007
    Challenger2 C-IECP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for the help, I think I will take your advise on the twin trainer. I'll keep watching for your finished photos and flight report. Trevor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just bought a C-47 from Jonathan Hay from Florida that he flew at Top Gun . I have always wanted one of these birds,the Zirolli version, and just couldn't muster the time to do it.He flew it with Enya 1.55 4strokes and said it was a lot of power for for it. I am repowering it with two G-26 Zenoahs which should be plenty of power. I had a felow from Canada e-mail me and said that he had been flying his 43lb version,which is what mine weighs also, with two OS 120 4 strokes and it puleed it with authority. The nose and eng.nacelles have been lengthened on mine to generate a scale profile so I don't need all the extra nose weight. Ishould be flying it either this coming weekend or the next. Will report back on the capability of the engines. Wayne

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Congrats on getting your DC3 Wayne,the G 23's should do the job alright.I've been getting unsatisfactory results bench testing one of my Saito170's.Its the one that had a jug and piston replaced by Horizon a couple 3 years ago.I know that I have to break in that piston and cylinder but it still worrys me.I'm only getting around 6300 rpm max and its not transitioning smoothly at all yet and thats with constant glow drivers on.I have a couple of Saito 180's that are well broken in that I'm starting to look at again as well as the US41 gassers.I've got some time for riveting while I'm waiting for painting weather so I'm using the divit wheel for this that Flite Metal supplies to lay out the rivit divits.If everything goes well I may add the raised rivits on top of the divits.I kind of like the flush surface so I may not raise them.Looking forward to your report on your test flights Wayne..

Name:	Ay75062.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	432867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq50957.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	432868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw58273.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	432869  
    Steve Daly
    MAAC #14007
    Challenger2 C-IECP

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast