Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Gemini 1.60 twin engine

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Gemini 1.60 twin engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:48 PM
RunEmFast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gemini 1.60 twin engine

Does anyone know what the needle settings are for a Gemini 1.60 twin engine? I think the high end is supposed to be 3 to 3.5 turns out. Does anyone know what the low end is supposed to be?

Keith
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 PM
kochj

I depends on couple things:

Do you have the air-bleed style carb? Or the newest 2 needle version?
The manual on OS website should tell you what it is..

ON a side note. I have the Airbleed style carb, and the transition is blubbery rich from low to high, no matter what I do.
This engine has had this happen to it NO MATTER WHERE the fuel tank is located in relation to the carb, and it has been in several different planes.

I am now purchasing a NEW style carb tonight, and will throw it on the engine when I get it..

This is the setting for the Twin needle carb.
Needle Settings: High Speed: 3.5 turns out from fully closed
Mixture Control (low speed): Flush with carb body,then 2 turns in.

Airbleed carb settings: open bleed until the screw is barely blocking hole, the main needle is open about 2-3 turns out.

The airbleed carb is a PITA as far as I am concerned... You have to be VERY VERY small adjustments on it.
Mine will Idle perfect, and run all day WOT, but the middle is just too rich no matter what I do..

I will update you after I run the NEW style carb...See pict up new style carb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	osmg2538.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	2032833  

Last edited by kochj; 09-16-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:41 PM
kochj

46181000 FT-120II, FT-160 Is the part # for OLD discontinued carb AIR BLEED STYLE

http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/ft-160-manual.pdf
That is the manual for the NEW UPDATED twin needle carb.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:40 AM
RunEmFast

I think I might try getting the new carb for that engine does anyone know where I can get it a good deal online?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:14 PM
RunEmFast

Does anyone know where I can get the twin needle carburator from? My LHS had troubles finding the twin needle carb. Please help!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:17 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't help you with locating a new carb, but I have had several OS 1.60 twins, with both the air bleed type and the twin needle carbs. The twin needle carb is nicer but the air bleed runs like a champ as well. Two things you may want to try while you're searching for a new carb. First, replace the plugs with Fox Miracle Plugs. They perform much better than the stock plugs in the OS 1.60 and will allow you to lean out the high speed needle much more, resulting in better fuel economy. This may also solve some of your mid-range problems. The other item is to program in a slight throttle delay, if your radio will support that. The OS twins don't like to have the throttle jammed from idle to WOT. This should also help with your mid range issue as the delay allows the engine RPM to better keep up with the increase in incoming fuel.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Don't agree at all!
I have run several of these OS 1,20 and 1.60 OS four stroke twins and all run perfect with the air bleed as well with the two needle carb using the standard OS F plug and 5% nitro fuel (16-20% oil). Their throttle respons has also been direkt with no hessitation. Slamming to full throttle from idle has been no problem.
Using 15% nitro or more I can understand why you use colder plugs, but running 5-15% nitro the OS F plug is hard to beat. This is at sea level!
Running at higher altitudes is a nother ball game.