Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Retract question-VQ B-26K

Old 01-01-2018, 04:03 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Retract question-VQ B-26K

I have a VQ A-26 on the way, and after reading some other threads, I was wondering what type/brand of retracts are used on that model? I read one post that said that the electric retracts were kind of flimsy. Still haven't decided on which ones to use. I'm not familiar with any electric retracts, but have used Rhom-Air and Robart air retracts previously with no problems. Just wanting some suggestions. I'm getting back into it after giving it a break for a year or so due to a move.
Thanks for any advice you may have.
Randy

Last edited by rryman; 01-01-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HI,
The VQ retract nose gear is not something I would recommend. The main gear for the A-26 are workable, but mine did not fully retract into the engine wheel wells....but work. I used E-Flights nose gear and it is useable. Make sure you have your model has a slightly nose high posture when sitting on the ground. Actually you can use E-Flights .40 size retracts in the model and will do the job for you. Power your airframe with any engine from .25's to .32's and do not use .40 to .46's as the instructions call out for. The model is very fast in the air and its a rocket ship with a pair of .46's. I installed .46's and even with fixed gear it was the fastest ship on our field. Faster then .40 powered 500 racers and I flew the course with them and flew past them. It needs power to land...so when you land, fly it down to the run way with power and cut power only when close to touch down. If flies well in wind, and very maneuverable. The plastic that comes with the kit for cowls and nacelles are useable, but not very user friendly and prone to crack. The model turned out heavy for its size...but it flies up a storm once airborne. Make sure your engines are broken in and have a solid idle.

Also when epoxying in your stab...make sure its set even...my kit had an off set one how the stab set in the fuse....just a caution.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-08-2018, 09:19 PM
rryman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the suggestions. While waiting for the plane to arrive, I read through your article on your build and applied most of your suggestions. I was wanting to use OS .25FX engines, but they are no longer available, nor was the .35AX engines, so I went with Saito .40's. Had them years ago on a Royal B-25 and they did well, so hoping they won't be too over powering for this model. I have a broken in both engines on a test stand, haven't started them both yet on the airplane. I'm working on a stand that I can pivot the model vertical with engines running without actually having to put down the transmitter and picking it up. Hopefully, the 3 blade props I'm using will work, but have other props in the event they don't provide enough thrust. I had a Top Flite DC-3 with OS .40's on it and used 3 blade props on it. They tempered the power of the .40's enough to make it a scale looking flyer.
Not having any Robart retracts available either, I did go with the VQ retracts. Had a number of frustrating hours trying to get the nose gear to retract correctly. Finally figured out that the pivot mechanism for the steering has been installed upside down at the factory. After I corrected that, things started to go better. I used a separate servo for the nose steering. My mains also won't totally retract into the gear wells, but I'm going to live with that. Hope to have it dialed in for a test flight next month.
I also tried to reinforce the plastic nacelle covers with some 3/4oz cloth strips inside and polyurethane. Guess time will tell how that works out.
Haven't weighed the model yet, and don't know that I will. Not really any way to lighten it up at this point. The last A-26 I built from plans ended up having just over 50oz per sq. ft. wing loading and I was petrified that it wouldn't fly well. I was surprised at how well it did fly at that weight.
The one thing I did like about the VQ model is the tail number. It's the same as one of the original 8 aircraft that flew out of NKP in 1966 that I worked on. Never thought I'd see that!
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Randy

Last edited by rryman; 03-08-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Bob Paris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay Buddy,,,,
I saw them built up at Van Nuys Airport when I was in high school. I ended up in the Army flying gun ships, B and C model Huey's. We got snakes in just as I was finishing up my second tour. I saw these A-26's in action and why I built the one I did from VQ Warbirds. Make sure when you install your engines...you keep them even on both sides....so you will have even prop clearance. I am going to three blades on mine, because it just may slow it down a little. With two .46 & 10x7 props....it seriously climbs into a vertical...and never stops. Fast...real fast and so is the landing....keep power up all the way down.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-10-2018, 06:49 AM
rryman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob Denny came to an Air Commando reunion several years ago, wanting to get more info about the A-26/s his Dad was converting for the military. He was in high school at the time also in Van Nuys, but didn't get much information on the mission of the planes. His father started On Mark Engineering. When I first got to NKP, there were about 10 Huey gunships there, but left soon after our arrival.
I have found that 3 blade props will really take the sting out of an overpowered aircraft. I had a Stafford B-24 that I also ran 3 blades on to reduce the thrust. Hopefully all will go well with the first flight.
Later,
Randy
Old 06-22-2018, 01:52 AM
Bob Paris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys,
I installed a new set of retracts into my A26...gentlemen...with a pair of .46 and retracts...it is a true rocket ship. I'm not real happy with all the plastic...but how it is.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui