Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Twin-Air 45 build thread

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin-Air 45 build thread

Old 02-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE: Twin-Air 45 build thread

This thread has gotten slow again but John and I have been wearing out e-mails regarding weight, balance and a few other topics regarding the twin-tail design.

Where are you other twin-tail builders???

I glued the stab on last night and determined that making the hollowed spacer removable is not a good idea. The fuse in front of the stab really needs to be boxed in completely to keep the tail end rigid. In fact I ended up going one better and made a new spacer that widens out at the rear to further stiffen the structure. I plan to run 3/8 tri under the stab and extend it under the edge of the spacer edges. I'll post a pic when I have it all finished.

After gluing on the stab I flipped the plane upside down and put it on my cg "device", and piled on the few parts that I had not yet installed on the stab- tri stock, elevator linkage, etc. The plane then balanced with the battery placed in the former bay right behind the wing. I'm going to cover it and see what happens.

Since it seems that I need tail weight anyway I am thinking about building another elevator out of 3/8 so that it matches the thickness of the stab.

I am very happy with the way plane has turned out, even if it is on the heavy side. Here are some detail pics of the "hardware" installation.

Walt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21687.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	101325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53932.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	101326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55903.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	101327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44446.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	101328  
Old 04-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Blue Sky
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Twin-Air 45 build thread

Hey Guys,
Anything more happening with all your Twin-Airs?

I'd like to get into twins and the Twin-Air looked interesting - even more so since I read this thread! I sent John an email earlier concerning the shipping costs to me here in the UK and if they're not too steep I think I will go this route rather than bashing a single into a twin.

Would love to hear any flight reports of the twin fin/rudder version (or are they being posted elsewhere? ).

Thanks,

Blue
Old 04-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Blue,

I'm not sure what happened to all the other Twin-air builders, but I have been flying mine for several weeks now. All the debugging and tuning is over, I hope, and I am having a bunch of fun with it! All the details on the maiden (including link to the maiden video) are posted in another link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Twin...1624610/tm.htm

The plane really flies great!

Here's a pic with the decals and two-blade props which I am very happy with.

Walt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86034.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	118835  
Old 04-05-2004, 02:43 AM
Blue Sky
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Walt,
Just watched your video - really cool! [sm=thumbup.gif] Sorry, but I had to laugh when the camera turned round to you and you looked so anxious... ah, maiden flights, dontcha just love em! Your Twin-Air looks and sounds (for 2strokes) superb! I think I'll take the risk of the import duty & taxes (which could make it a $230 kit for me []) and order one from NE-Aero once I know shipping costs.

BTW thanks to you and all the guys that made this thread one of the most interesting I've read in a long time - truly constructive on every level.

Have fun,
Blue

<Edited cos I accidentally posted it prematurely Bit like my landings really>
Old 05-03-2004, 01:12 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that twin tail twin looks gorgeous! [X(]
Old 05-10-2004, 08:17 PM
rcshawn
My Feedback: (3)

where is the cg for the twin-air .45? I just purchased one new never flown and always rebalance planes that I buy prebuilt. By the way, how fast does this plane go? (I fly mostly jets and thought I would try twins, always wanted one)!
Old 05-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

rcshawn,

The plans show the balance range from 3-3/8 to 3-7/8 inch from the leading edge. Mine is balanced toward the rear of this range.

If you fly jets you should have absolutely no problem with the Twin-Air. Mine is pretty quick with OS 46FX motors and 11x5 props but it is by no means a speed demon. However it is both very maneuverable and very forgiving which makes it lots of fun to throw around.

We put my plane through the wringer this past weekend and I shot some "stress test" video (both the wings and twin-tail survived!) I'll add a link to this thread when the video is uploaded.

Walt