Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Duelist 2/40 progress photos.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:39 PM
Micholetti
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Duelist 2/40 progress photos.

Great craftsmanship! Brings back memories of when I built my Dualist. I kit bashed the nacelles and also upsized the vertical fin for better stability. I've got 2 OS 46's in mine... performance is fantastic. I also had to use 3 bladed props (9x6's) to get ground clearance using the retracts. Speaking of retracts... get ready for some spine tingling fun when you buzz the field with gear up & twins singing in unison. Fun factor is off the scale!!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:47 AM
strnglvr
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good Job! Makes me think about getting back to work on mine, I haven't touched mine since i last posted pics., How nose heavy did yours turn out? I'm bashing mine and moving the wing sadle forward one bay, let us know how she fly's,...............Paul
Old 02-18-2004, 03:52 PM
barnstrmr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey bob great work, matt
Old 02-19-2004, 03:34 PM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I decided to come up with a name for her. I call her, "GHOST RIDER."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19980.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	102771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80795.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	102772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83903.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	102773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22546.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	102774  
Old 02-19-2004, 04:09 PM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A Heavenly blessing side shot.

Name:	Sq46905.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	102789  
Old 02-19-2004, 04:16 PM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Ghosts EYES!

Name:	Yw67227.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	102792  
Old 02-19-2004, 05:09 PM
mikehannah

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi
Is your ariplane built from the Pica kit and does anyone know what the differ3ence is if any between the Pica plans and the Pica Kit.

Mike
Old 02-19-2004, 10:51 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Pica plans and the kit should be the same. The Model Airplane News plans are of the Mk II version. In a nutshell all the incidence angles are at zero. From what I undersatnd the Mk II version is better and flies better.

Either way I recommend modifying the landing gear to be as long as possible. I had mucho problems with prop strikes and am in repair mode now and will make the gear longer.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:54 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RE: Duelist 2/40 progress photos.

Tim and Bob:

I think the question re Pica was not so much the Mk I and Mk II, but the open bays on Bob's plane. The Mk I and Mk II have fully sheeted wings.

So. Bob, did your kit plan specify the open bays, or is that a change you made?

Bill.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:16 PM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Tim and Bob:

I think the question re Pica was not so much the Mk I and Mk II, but the open bays on Bob's plane. The Mk I and Mk II have fully sheeted wings.

So. Bob, did your kit plan specify the open bays, or is that a change you made?

Bill.
That's a change I made. I thought it might be a bit lighter and easier than sheeting the wing. I'm not really sure if that turned out to be the case, but she weighs in around 9Ibs and some oz's. I have a metric scale and it reads 4.4 to 4.6 kilos, roughly 9Ibs. I also extended the gears as much as I could, all within perspective of the nose gear and keeping the ground stance.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:07 PM
William Robison

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob:

Did you put shear webs in to maintain strength?

Bill.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:13 PM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeh, shear webs. I couldn't think of the proper term for them, but that's it. Thanks W.R.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Wing nut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BOB,

LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING IT FLY THIS SUNDAY! HOPEFULLY, THE WEATHER HOLDS OUT OR BETTER YET GETS A LITTLE WARMER.

STEVEN
Old 02-21-2004, 12:51 PM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mucksmear

Very nice work roadtrip!

Did you choose to have open wing bays aft of the main spar for weight reduction reasons?

9 pounds! that sounds pretty good. more photos!

-E
Thanks and yes, but I don't what difference it made it, as I don't know what it would have weighed with full sheeting. I also put the battery behind the wing and that made the balance and CG real close to perfect.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:23 PM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wheels down and ready to dance!!!

Name:	Gd93527.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	103487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35508.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	103488  
Old 04-25-2004, 11:53 AM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pics from the field. Didn't fly today, as the wind picked up as I arrived. Maybe an omen!!

Name:	Om33875.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	126127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31892.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	126128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67778.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	126129  
Old 04-25-2004, 01:30 PM
William Robison

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob:

The wind you fussed about was yesterday. What did you do today?

Haw.

Question/warning: The engines look new. Are they? Bad idea. Get some time on them before you put the plane in the air.

Hope everything goes (or went) well.

Bill.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:58 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks sharp, how many hours on this so far?. Made mine into an electric, waiting for spring flowers to photo shoot it for the mags. Bill Robison will get the photo cd disk and post the photos for me. What a nightmare kit. You have'nt been through hell untill you've made two of them. Friend of mine made his standard and wants to race my electric Duelly. Changed my wing to multi-taper, constant chord with flaps. Shortend the nacelles [did'nt need fuel tanks], put in fixed dural gear with pants [taildragger]. Servos in the tail, 28 nimh cells, two 45-3 Phasors with individual speed controls, BEC controlled on a PCM Rec. There'll be plenty of butterflys in the stomach on the test fly day. Should humm right along though. MJS
Old 04-26-2004, 01:17 PM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Bob:

The wind you fussed about was yesterday. What did you do today?

Haw.

Question/warning: The engines look new. Are they? Bad idea. Get some time on them before you put the plane in the air.

Hope everything goes (or went) well.

Bill.
I'm in Germany and the wind is most unpredictable out in the open areas. Yes the engines are new (OS46FX's). Thanks for the advise.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:10 PM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This ones for u, ron
Old 05-16-2004, 12:38 AM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: roadtrip

This is where you might want to decide where to mount the nose gear retrack and install the blind nuts. After you glue on the nose block, it's permanent. Not in the plans.
I don't know why I didn't see this when I built the fuse,[:@] but the F-1 former being only 1/8" plywood came completely out when I was going for my maiden when she rolled over a small hole in the grass. I ended up cutting the nose piece completely off and reinforcing F-1 with 8mm hard wood triangle pieces. I made a rectangle out of them in front of F-1 with two across the middle, allowing for the mount bolts and again around the other side where the nose gear mounts like a "hoseshoe" around the gear mount; with another across the former, side-to-side under the gear mount. I then epoxied the front bits to the inside of the nose piece when I put that back on. If it breaks agin, it'll be somewhere between the canopy and the F-1 former, but that gear ain't comin' outa there now!!! I'm going to replace the 2-blade props with 3-blades to allow for a bit more prop clearance. I haven't had good weather to try again, but hope to tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:03 AM
rcflyerrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been discussing things on the design in the thread that you originally replied, but just a couple of questions.

How did/does it fly? Just from the looks, it should handle like an older style pattern plane. I had not thought much about the twin servo arrangement for the throttle, but I have a couple of the futaba micros that should fit fine. I was a little puzzled with your sheeting arrangement on the wings and with the main wheel location. It looks like you are using Robo struts for the gear. What is your impression of them. I am toying with using them, but the wire struts have always worked fine for me. It appears that the mains have been lengthened more than what was shown on the plans, with the wheel actually going into a wing rib. Could you get enough length on the nose gear to keep the plane level on the ground?

I don't plan to do any different cockpit treatment. I normally spray my canopies some smoke gray/silver on the inside, so the cockpit area is not visible. Yeh, I know, but it saves me work and I can use the weight savings elsewhere.

It appears that you glassed the fuse. If so, did you monokote over the glass or did you paint the fuse? I plan to go the monokote route, so I don't plan to glass the fuse unless it is really required. I know what kind of covering headaches it can be going over glass.

I am just to the point where I am ready to skin the wings. I am using the standard sheeting back to the center of the spar, then light contest the rest of the way back. I put shear webs between the main spars to get added strength. I scrap a lot of kit wood & go with contest where I can to save wt.

I will be doing a lot of carving on the blocks, it appears. I ordered a spare battery for my dremel to be on the safe side. Your battery location looks good. I will try to do the same.

I am sure I'll come up with additional questions as I progress. Thanks for the help.

RCS
Old 05-16-2004, 07:13 AM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your're welcome. First, I haven't flown it as of yet.[] I tried last week and the nose gear former broke off on taxi out after running into a small hole.[:@] Besure to reinforece the F-1 former real good. I took it out agian today, but it got to windy to try, so I threw my sailplane up instead. I had to fly somethin". [>:]The twin servos for the throttle give you the seperate control over the engines so that you can tweak the RPM's better by using seperate channels. I'm running two OS 46 FX's and they sound real sweet together. Micro servos are fine. I suggest you install them as I did. It gives you a straight pushrod to the throttle arms and the srvo is hidden by the top necelle cover anyway.
I used monokote all around, including the fuse. Adding webs to the mail spars is a good idea. I like the Robo struts. They look good and work real well. I extended the struts to the W-2 wing rib, where the rib is centered on the axles. She sits perfectly level on the ground. I also switched out the 2 blade propas I was using with 3 blades, as it gives me about a 1/2" more prop clearance. I don't know how she does on grass, like we have at our field. I probably should have tried a taxi run again today, but didn't think about it. With 2 blade props she wqas mowing the grass on taxi, last week and didn't get very far to see how she tracks. Yes you'll be doing a hell of a lot of sanding and shaping. I hope you have a better work area than I do, becuase of the dust. Don't carve to much of the nose out, as you might do what I did and go to far at the end leaving a hole on both sides of the nose. I had to figure out how to cover it without a lot of over lapped monokote.[:@] Dremel is a good thing!! Good luck.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:38 PM
roadtrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I finally put her up for the maiden, today! She went up with a bit of a dip down and a touch of up elevator sent her straight up, so I had to go to dual-rate on the elevator. She was real touchy there, with the plane bobbing up and down. To much sensitivity on the elevator. Anyway, she's got a lot of pepper with the two OS 46 FX's. Once I got them sinked, she stayed there and sounded real sweet coming across the field with gear up on a low level fly by at full throttle. I didn't do any acrobatics, 'cause I was shakin' to much, but with the oversized rudder, I 'm sure she could do a great knife edge, if I was good enough and bold enough to try it!! She landed real nice on our grass. Not as fast as I expected it too. I'll take her up again in a few days and spend some time getting used to how fast and sensitive she is before I try any acrobatics.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:02 PM
William Robison

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob:

Congratulations on getting the plane up and down safely.

Do be careful with the elevator throw, at full power there wont be a problem, but at reduced air speed it can get nasty. Keep all the rudder throw you can, but it's OK to decrease the elevator movement.

Didn't I see you were close to coming back to the ZI?

Bill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service