Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Got my Twin Air today, very nice!

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Got my Twin Air today, very nice!

Old 08-16-2004, 04:28 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Got my Twin Air today, very nice!

Steve:

Second Third try here, the bit bucket got my first two replys. Stay at 3 1/2" or so CG, with both running 4" is fine but with only one turning the aft CG is harder to handle.

Bill.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:45 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bill,
I have the balance set at 3 1/2" good to hear.
Tomorrow afternoon will be the big day
Can't wait!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:04 PM
JAkridge

Hughes500E,
Very Nice.. I like the colors. I have to say after seeing yours, and seeing the one on there web site....
Yours is a Poster Winner for sure!!!!!, changed the look of the plane completely from the web site picture. I like it, alot!! And I'm looking for a twin kit to build.(warbird preferred) but this has my eye.

And the build time..2 months WOW.. [X(]. And there web site did'nt say anything about it being retractable. (another +).

Again Great Job. It's sure to be a winner in flight. I'll be checking in for flight details.

Joe
Old 08-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Hughes500E

Thanks Joe
I highly recommend the kit. I have built one or two single engine kits before but this one is in a league of it's own.
A very enjoyable project! Makes a guy think a bit
I figure I'll have to take one or two more pictures before the maiden flight [X(]
I''ll post a few angles so you can see what you will have to work with!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:56 PM
William Robison

Joe:

A little history on John Marien and Northeast Aerodynamics. NE Aero is a long established company, John has built on existing designs for many of the new offerings.

Looking at the attached picture, you will see the "Train-Air 60," with its high wing, and wire main gear. Then the low wing development, the "Sport-Air 60," a low wing version, otherwise almost the same plane. With the same wire mains, but the mountings are moved into the wings. Next, there is John's twin engined bash of the "Sport-Air," the prototype T-A 45, with the colors you panned oh so gently. I've brightened it a little, as dark as John had it I reallycan't blame you for preferring something different.

As you see, each one was developed from the one preceding, changing only what was necessary. This being the case, the Twin-Air still has the wire mains, with the hardwood mounts in the wing, and the wheels positioned pretty much centered under the nacelles. The kit and plan have no provision for retracts, although they can be mounted without difficulty.

Build-n-flyer-RCU (Walt) and Hughes500E (Steve) have both installed retracts in theirs. I have not built a T-A with retracts, but I have not built a Duellist with fixed gear.

If you go with retracts, and keep the tricycle configuration, I strongly suggest you go with air operation. Connectiong and disconnecting the linkage to a mechanical nose retract is not what I would wish on you. For a tail dragger mechanical is fine.

The engine position, upright or on the side, is up to you. The tanks are mounted right at the top of the nacelles, either engine position will work fine.

War bird? If you consider, as I do, that only a plane flown in combat is really a "War bird," merely being operated by the military does not a war bird make. But if you think just being military makes a war bird, the T-A could easily be bashed into a Beechcraft Duke look-alike. Don't remember what the military designation was, but they had some. If you ignore the lack of the tapered wing it already looks like the Duke. Just put Army markings on it and call it semi-scale. Haw.

Anyway, you are more than welcome to enter the madhouse, the "Twinsane Asylum."

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99019.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	164670  
Old 08-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Steve,

Bill is right, with the cg at 3 1/2" the plane will fly nicely and you can trim to your liking from there.

But Bill is wrong about my plane- it does not have retracts. I concentrated effort on the twin rudders. Retracts would have been nice but the fixed gear is so trouble-free that I have no regrets.

Good luck Steve!

Walt
Old 08-16-2004, 10:51 PM
William Robison

Sorry, Walt. I thought you went with retracts too.

Bill.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:11 AM
dzbum
My Feedback: (5)

Hughes500E,
so we are all sat here on the edge of our seats waiting to hear how it flew, any report yet ?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Hughes500E

I have yet to fly it The weather here has been something else.
I was hoping maybe this afternoon but now they're saying thunderstorms! Grrr
Old 08-20-2004, 11:03 PM
Hughes500E

I flew the Twin Air tonight !
The sound of the engines was great! It tracked real good etc etc
The plane lifted real nice, rolled down the runway and lifted gently with just a slight touch of the elevator, impressive! A few clicks on the elevator was the only trimming needed. Didn't enter full throttle yet but half was quite speedy
After 5 minutes or so I slowed the engines down to see what the plane would do. First pass at a high idle feeding in a bit of elevator and she just floated on by, second pass with a bit of height I dropped to idle increased elevator and the nose dropped nice, wing stayed level! powered her up and went into a left hand rudder turn and thought I lost the elevator linkage, a drastic change in flight was happening and I had no idea what was going on. Took everything I had, mostly rudder to get her straightened out. It felt like flying a plane so far out of trim that I had to correct and hold with the sticks, quite stimulating really
As I held my breath for the last turn and entered into a nice approach I could see the left engine was out! The counter rotating engine brought her home
A bit of a botched landing but she's fine.
Needless to say I only had the one flight but, it was a doozy of an experience
I'm going to pull the engines and put a few gallons through them on my wifes trainer
It was great, I flew a twin.....................
Old 08-21-2004, 12:38 AM
pilotkelowna
My Feedback: (1)

Steve:

Congratulations..........and glad to hear you brought it home safely. Do you think you can get the engines broken in by Labor Day for the Vernon event. I'd like to see her fly.....nothing like the sound of twin engines.

Brian
Old 08-21-2004, 02:03 AM
Hughes500E

Hi Brian,
It was cool, love that sound. I don't think I am going to rush it. I would really like to have it ready but I'm not sure how much time I'll have to fly. The counter rotating engine was great so I may just run the other for awhile in her LT-40
If it's not there it won't be from lack of effort
Old 08-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Congratulations Steve!!!

Your experience kind of reminds me that I really need to setup my radio to try a "flameout" on my TA. I have many dozens of flights on it but have yet to lose an engine. I'm very glad to hear that you brought yours in without incident. The plane is about as stall-proof as they come, so as long as it is high enough then I would think cutting back the other engine and gliding her home would be pretty easy.

I really love the sound of the twin motors, too- especially during a high speed pass. But I also love the way the plane flies. Once you gain confidence in the motors you will find that the plane will do just about every maneuver in the book and make them look good! Its really a fun plane!

Walt
Old 08-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Hughes500E

Thanks Walt,
I can't wait to get some more stick time on her. I think you're right about gliding home but, you have to know that you lost an engine I had no idea it was out and it sure felt funny LOL
Old 08-22-2004, 10:48 PM
William Robison

Steve:

Belated congratulations.

I had a major system crash, just got back on line earlier today, else I would have been here sooner.

Told you it was good on a single engine, didn't I?

Haw.

Bill
Old 08-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Hughes500E

Hi Bill,
Thought something was up, glad you got her fixed up. Twin Air was a great recommendation many thanks for all your help!
Old 08-23-2004, 01:14 AM
William Robison

Steve:

Roughly 70 hours delving into the digital depths and searching suspect software for sneaky snags. How about that alliteration? Wow.

Had two bad IC chips, had it been an everyday machine I would probably just have replaced the motherboard, but this one is a dual processor, and it has more cache memory than many machines have as main memory. This one is worth fixing.

I'm always happy to tempt people to do foolish things, like flying twins. Haw.

I am glad you're pleased with it.

Bill.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:22 PM
NortheastAero
My Feedback: (6)

Steve,

Congratulations on a first flight to remember! If you think about it, send along some pictures! (maybe one will wind up on the web site).

Have you tried flying her with the retracts up yet?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Hughes500E

Hi John,
I was going to go flying today but a disk in my back said no way.
I'm hoping for a day at the field here real soon I'm really excited to get her up again.
Many thanks, it was a great project.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:01 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You Da Man!!

Although I'm sure you didn't wanted to be "blooded" in engine-out flight quite so early, your experience shows a couple (OK, maybe three) things:

1) You're a darned good pilot
2) The TwinAir is an awesome engine-out performer
3) Any single engine pilot experiencing what you did thinks:"Hmmmm, trim is off bad!" As you gain twin experience, you'll develop keen twin pilot instincts: when trim seems suddenly off, a shrill voice in your limbic brain screams "engine out!!, engine out!!" and a series of physiologic events kicks in: tachycardia, hyperhydrosis, down elevator, down throttle, get on the rudder, nurse it home!

Congratulations! You're hooked.

mt
Old 09-02-2004, 02:34 AM
Hughes500E

Kram
You brought it all back to life I just relived it LOL I believe in #2
Weather took a turn for the worst but I am hoping to get a few solid hours on her soon.
It will be nice to try out the retracts
Old 06-28-2005, 12:36 PM
open_spaces

i noticed that you have the counter rotating motors set up so the prop wash is toward the fuselage, i've read that on the real p-38j war-bird the wash was toward the outboard wingtips to minimize turbulence to the tail. i am interested in getting the twin-air with twin tail and wonder if it makes any difference?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Open Spaces-

I am flying my twin tail now with Ultrathrust tuned mufflers on my 46FX's and turning the props hard, and the plane is still rock stable even with the throttles wide open. A counter-rotating engine would be cool, but I seriously doubt that it would make a noticable performance difference. Maybe some added stability for an engine out?- but then engine out stability is not a big concern on the Twin-Air.

If I were to build another the only changes I would consider would be bigger ailerons and rudders, but only because I am now past the "first twin" phase and thinking more about performance. For a first twin I'd leave it as is.

Walt
Old 07-14-2005, 12:58 PM
jwalsh1

Just curious, Im looking for a first twin engine airplane, and I like the looks of this better than the twinstar. Would you say this plane would make a good first twin trainer airplane?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2005, 01:09 PM
William Robison

The Twin-Air 45 is an excellent twin trainer. Quick to build and engine out is easily handled.

Bill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.