Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Got my Twin Air today, very nice!

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Got my Twin Air today, very nice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 01:13 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Twin Air today, very nice!

I received my Twin Air 45 today and all I can say is WOW. The balsa in this kit is incredible, very nice and the laser cutting is second to none, very much worth the wait. This kit is top of the line! Thanks a million John and you to Bill, two thumbs up for sure.
Now for the building
So far so good, the instructions are so much more personal than the average kit, I really like the tips. I started to build the Fuse first. Both sides are prepped, glued and I am almost ready to epoxy the doublers on. The lazer cuts again are just incredible and the markings on the pieces are so very clear, unlike the DC-3 I started on, holding the pieces up to the light trying to see the markings!
I'll continue on with the build asking for help etc as I go but feel free to volunteer any suggestions!
I will be installing B&D tricycle air retracts in this sweetheart!
Thanks again for recommending this kit!
10 out of 10
Old 06-18-2004, 06:06 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Got my Twin Air today, very nice!

Good Post!!

Makes me want to get one.

mt
Old 06-18-2004, 07:07 AM
GUAIO

how much do they cost???
Old 06-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Hughes500E

"How much do they cost"
About half of what it is actually worth $159.95
I am hoping to get the Fuse done by the end of the weekend then I will be starting on the wing.
Here is a link to his site
http://www.ne-aero.com/
Old 06-19-2004, 01:42 AM
Hughes500E

Here is a couple pictures of the Twin Air 45 showing parts and pieces, including progress. I have the Fuse sides assembled with the Plywood doublers epoxied on. You can see in the pictures the quality of the pieces and the laser engraving on the parts to aid in the identification. I have also included a picture of the plans with the instruction book visible, quite impressive.
So far the instructions have been good, I'll be preparing the bulk heads and getting them in tomorow. I'll take a picture of the Fuse when I get it done for all to see!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25359.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	144905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31407.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	144906  
Old 06-24-2004, 01:31 PM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

I'm covering my Twin Air now. I put an older set of RomAir retracts in it. Remember to move the retracts out a bay to where the wheels of the landing gear would be not the original mounting bay. Did you get the dual rudder kit? Your right about the quality of the kit!
Old 06-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Hughes500E

Hi,
Thanks for the tip on the retracts. Progress has been slow, I have been waiting for the retracts to arrive.
This is my first set that I have ever installed ! I must say, I am a bit worried that I will build it heavy
What engines are you running and do you think you will have to move things forward or back to balance?
I ask that because I am unsure how I should go about building thr front gear, if I need weight up front I'll just move the ply bulk head forward to get a longer front wheel in. I fly off grass and my retracts seem quite short!
I did not get the dual rudder upgrade! yet
You'll have to keep me posted! Feel free to volunteer any help
Old 06-26-2004, 07:40 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

I have OS 46FX's with APC 11x5's on my Twin-Air. I love the power and speed this gives. I tried Zinger 10x6 3-blades and with these the plane would fly "scale" but wasn't much fun. (If anyone has a need for a pair of "new" 3-blade props and spinners let me know! )

I don't have retracts but I do have twin rudders and I mounted the elevator servo at the rear of the fuse. It balances perfectly with the battery located right at the cg point. My plane did come out quite heavy but it flies great. So I wouldn't worry too much about the weight added by the retracts. Build light but don't be afraid to add reinforcement where you feel it is needed. Make sure your nacelles are solid, especially if you plan on fuel tank hatches.

The kit is a very nice build. All of the parts fit perfectly. Be sure to read through the build thread that was posted early this year- John (NE-A) personally answered many of the questions that I had so it is an excellent resource.

Walt [8D]
Old 06-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Hughes500E

Hi Walt,
Thanks for the reply! John himself told me of your thread which I have read a few times, great job!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...twinair/tm.htm
Glad to hear that a little weight is no harm!
Also, knowing what you know now, would you make any other construction changes?
Dihedral, thrusts etc
Thanks
Old 06-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Steve,

I think that most everything that I did is covered somewhere in the build thread but feel free to ask specific questions as you go along. There is very little that I would do differently- my Twin Air flies great and has been maintenance-free.

My dihedral is about 1/2" less than the plans- 3 1/2" total. If I were to build it again I might take a little more out to help inverted stability, but not much. The plane is rock-stable and very maneuverable as-is.

I targeted 0 degrees incidence everywhere as indicated on the plans. Being my first twin build I found getting the engine thrust/incidence a bit tricky. It is essentially set by how accurately the firewalls and nacelles are aligned when gluing.

Walt
Old 06-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Maelstrom

I just saw in the NE-AERO website that the Twin Air 60 will be available soon
Anyone knows anything about this kit?
Luis
Old 06-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

This will be an upsized Duelist (not an upsized Twin-Air), hence the name Duel-Air. There are many of us waiting on John to get the kit ready but I expect it will be a while. If you look through threads in this forum you will find various references to it.

I understand that the Duelist is a much more challenging build than the Twin-Air, is a bunch faster, and maybe not quite as forgiving.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:14 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve:

Setting the engines position is the easiest part of the job if you use a metal bar with holes drilled at the exact engine spacing, bolt the bar to the engines as you would attach the props. Then with the engines fastened to their mounts and the mounts attached to the firewalls, glue the firewall/nacelle assemblies to the wing. Walt fussed at me, as did Twinman, saying I should have told them sooner.

In the August issue of RCM, in the article on building an A-26, there's a picture on page 106 of my method being used. Since the author of the article gave me no credit I wont mention his name either.

The Duel-Air 2/60 started life as the Dave Platt designed Duellist 2/40. Platt did a slight redesign, and it became the Duellist 2/40 Mk II. He also had a Duellist 2/60, but his 60 size was never released as either a kit or plans.

A couple years ago a bunch of us got together and decided we wanted a 60 size Duellist. Chuck Auger, (Jeff Williams) EHFleming, (Ernest Fleming) and I collaborated in enlarging the Duellist 2/40 Mk II into a larger plane. Our major difference was converting the plane to a two piece wing. We called it the "Super Duellist 2/60 Mk II" and produced a total of 50 kits, all sold by subscription before any wood was cut. These were all sold at cost, with only the desire to get a larger version flying. The cost included a royalty payment to Dave Platt for using his basic design.

Since these kits were produced there has been a lot of interest from people who missed the run of kits we made, John Marien, of Northeast Aerodynamics, is going to make the kit available to them and anyone else who wants one.

The delay in their coming available is John's success, his other kits are selling so well (including the Twin-Air) that he doesn't have a lot of time to finish the preparations.

There are three threads I can think of concerning the Duellist Mk II 2/60, a search including "Duellist" and "2/60" will bring them up. And there may be mention in other threads as well.

The wing isn't really any harder to build than the Twin-Air, but it does require jigging, while the Twin-Air is wing built flat on the board. The big difference is in the fuselage, it's a rounded cross section rather than a box. It is self jigging and if the instructions are followed it builds nicely. But it's not in the least a "First Kit" design.

Bill.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Bill-

Actually I did use your "bar method" to glue the nacelles to the wings and it worked very well!

Steve-

Using the bar method requires that the nacelles be relieved for the engines earlier in the construction sequence than the manual describes, which worked out good for me. I believe that this was covered pretty well in the build thread but feel free to ask any questions!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Hughes500E

Too cool, thanks guys! I appreciate the input.
I almost have the fuse completed, neat feeling building a fuselage that doesn't have an engine mount or firewall
I even have the front retract gear working. Hoping to start the wing and engine nacelles soon! Then I'll have questions for sure!
Thanks guys!
Old 07-01-2004, 05:45 PM
NortheastAero
My Feedback: (6)

I hope people don't mind if I jump in here a little....

Putting a nose retract in the Twin-Air will shift the balance forward, not really a problem, but you have to plan on moving radio gear and batteries aft to avoid adding lead to the plane's tail.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Hughes500E

Hi John,
I was planning on mounting both servos on the tail and runnning short linkage. I'm going to leave the top of the fuelage tacked until I do a complete dry fit and balance of everything before covering. I'm not sure, my engines may be light enough to warrant only one servo in the tail.
I'm sure having a blast building it !
Old 07-25-2004, 01:57 AM
Hughes500E

Not making as much progress as I thought, its hard working in the very hot shop these days!
Fuselage is done, pretty straight forward build, not much to go wrong here. Unless carving the nose block gives you grief!
Installing the front retract was a treat though!
The stab and fin are both covered and installed, they lined up real well on the fuse! Probably the straightest fuse I have built. Do spend some time shaping and fitting, well worth it for sure!
Both wing panels have been fitted with the retracts! I managed to join both wing panels lastnight. Few pointers here:
1) do not pull the bottom sheeting up to the ribs or glue the top/center sheeting on until after the panels have been joined. Makes it easier to install the dihedral bracing.
2) when installing the sheer webs between the top and bottom main spars, make sure you glue the first web (between W1 and W4) flush with the back edge, this really helps when installing the dihedral braces, gives you lots of contact area for the epoxy!
3) before gluing the top trailing edge sheeting on mark your aileron hinges and install balsa blocks to help with hinge support. There is a lot of material there but I did it anyway to be real safe!

I finally had one of the MVVS 49's out of the box, started on the engine nacelles tonight! Sure would be nice to at least have her all framed up ready for covering early next week. Not too many surprises with the build yet! Hopefully what I mentioned above will help someone with there build
I'll post some more pictures soon!

Name:	Fd91995.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	157019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62011.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	157020  
Old 08-03-2004, 01:10 AM
Hughes500E

Just for the heck of it
I'm sure having a blast building this plane. I just hope she flies The engines and riggings are going together well. I had to move the firewalls back a hair, took a little room away for my 10 oz tanks but I have it worked out now. Just have to beef the shear webbing up a bit and the top main spar in the nacelles at N3. I still have to turn one of the cylinders around, both mufflers will be facing the tips. I don't know why but I have always liked my engines setup like such!
Not making my end of the month goal but I'm sure confident that it won't be long now

Name:	Ca81040.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	160116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17829.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	160117  
Old 08-14-2004, 01:26 AM
Hughes500E

Thought I'd post another picture. It's coming along, hoping to get her done this weekend for the maiden on Monday. Both engines have been ran, but not at the same time yet

Name:	Lj23255.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	163607  
Old 08-14-2004, 02:43 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve:

Nice looking work. If your flying is as good as your building you should have no problem at all.

Bill.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Hughes500E

Thanks Bill
I am really excited to fly her. I'm also a little sad that it's almost finished, sure had fun building it.
Lucky there's a DC-3 on the table
Old 08-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Hughes500E

Very close to being finished. I'm hoping to maiden flight it in the next day or two. Engines have already been ran etc. Note they're counter rotating Just have to finish the ailerons and radio then balance. No surprises and everything fits together real well.
Can't wait to hear the engines together. We have one other twin at our field with Saito 4 strokes on it so this will be a treat for sure

Name:	Lj23173.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	164227  
Old 08-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Your plane looks awesome!!! Looking forward to the maiden flight report!

Walt
Old 08-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Hughes500E

Thanks Walt,
The wife says "it looks like a plane" [:'(] I said, "this is not just a plane, it's a twin"
Can I ask you guys, Walt, Bill where did you end up setting the CofG?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.