Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

DeHavilland Mosquito

Old 01-17-2006, 10:20 AM
kaastrup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DeHavilland Mosquito

Thanks Bill

I have not yet got my mossi - but later this week....I hope

I am going to use the 3dx Hobbies retracts (model buz4060) and hopefully the 7/16" long off-set Oleo struts from VQ Model Aircraft.

Do you think the oleo struts are the right size ? And is it a good combination ?

By "recessed" do you mean that you have cut a notch in the firewall for the carb ? Do you have a picture of the installation ?

Either I am going to use dual Magnum 52 FS or I have though about bying a brother for my Saito 72. Do you have any clue if the Saito is to big ?

For 52 FS (or Saito) installation, I am going to extend the cowls in the nose with some balsa/paint.

I will remember the CG measured next from the fuselage.

I will also use 5 cells 2500 mAh receiver batt., and onboard glo.

Thanks for the info...

Christian (Denmark)
Old 01-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Ferguswj

Hi Christian,
I don't know anything about the retracts you are planning on.
7/16" struts will be fine, they look like Robarts, you'll have to shorten them as much as possible, but don't cut into the spring area. The plane will still sit high.
I converted mine to a more scale like dual strut arrangement as described in some of the earlier threads. Looks much better and now sits lower in a scale appearance.
Yes , I notched the firewall, it's not just the carb but also the intake manifold. I made a template from card first to fit over the back of the motor, and then traced the cutout area onto the firewall. I used my dremel to make the cutout. then put some plywood sheet back behind the firewall in the cutout area to restore some strength.
The Saito 72 is about 56 gm heavier than the OS 52. That's not a problem as you'll have to add weight anyway. However they are also about 2 cm longer which is a problem, and will make the cowl/spinner fit even worse.
I'd go with the 52s, they'll have plenty of power.
Good luck
Bill.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:29 AM
kaastrup

Thanks again

I have checked the dimensions again and I come up with these numbers, are they right or wrong ?

Its in metric :-)

Saito 72 = C1/C2 = 85/104 [mm]
Magnum XL 52 FS = C1/C2 = 81/? [mm]
Magnum XL 61 FS = C1/C2 = 88/? [mm]
OS FS 52 S = C1/C2 = 80.5/? [mm]

Maybe you could confirm by measure your own engine.

I am not able to find any measure C2 (with intake/carb) on Magnum/OS

Regards

Chris
Old 01-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Ferguswj

Hi Christian,
The Saito engines are very light and compact for their capacity, so I think you may be OK going with them.
The following dimensions are from both company websites as I can't reach my OS 52s very easily.
The dimension is the one you are most interested in, which is from front of prop drive washer to back of carb.
Saito 72 : - 104 mm
OS 52 : - 101.5 mm

For 2.5 mm it may not be worth worrying .

Good luck
Bill
Old 01-20-2006, 08:47 AM
kaastrup

Hi Bill

I have not yet got my Mossi, I had hope for today Friday, but it seems there is to much snow in Denmark these day, for the Post to get around. But again then I have to finish up my new Weston Magnum R, and I also have a TWM Groovy 90 sitting in her box in the corner.

I will wait to see when I get my mossi, and measure the space for the engines, maybe the Germans (Jamara) have made a change to the kit. It is nearly the same price for one new Saito 72, or two new Magnum 52 FS.

I have ordered the retracts from 3DX Hobbies and the Robart 440-series 663 LH struts, I hope it fits...

A little late Marry Christmas from Denmark...This is my son (1½ years), and he can't wait either...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62036.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	391450  
Old 01-22-2006, 12:16 AM
DVM100

Hello Chris,

I have two magnum 52 FS in mine and she is starting to look the goods. Happy to help with any comments fro set up etc.

Dave

Name:	Ig11656.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	392456  
Old 01-22-2006, 11:15 AM
kaastrup

Hi Dave

What size props are you using ?

And what fuel do you run in them ?

Regards

Chris
Old 01-22-2006, 12:17 PM
electricpete

I fancy making a semiscale indoor model moskito, Does any one know were I can beg buy or borrow a set of 3 dimension plans ideally with some fus formers as a guide. Alternatively does any one make a 15" to 24" free flight or rubber model. I like the lines of the Moskito, but if this fails a similar model, 'FROM the other side', would suit me.

Peter
Old 01-22-2006, 04:45 PM
DVM100

Hi Chris,

I run 11.5 x 7 Bolly's with a 10% nitro mix. I mix my own fuel these days.

regards, Dave
Old 01-24-2006, 10:02 AM
kaastrup

Hi Dave

Yesterday I finally got my Mossi......Yeaha

I have just taking a quick look in the box, and I must say I all seems real nice. All the things with the wing joiners and stabs are corrected, now with aluminium and much more glue.

Maybee it is not so exactly glued as Hangar-9 for examble, but it feels real sturdy.

I have just measured the firewall and engine cowlings, and I am going for the Saito 72 installation. I think I will need to extend the cowls 1" inch, and the cylinder is going to stick ½" inch futher out of the side of the cowling as the OS 52 FS.

The firewall is allready prepared for sideways engine mount, it is cut out in a C shape 135 degrees from top for the firewall.

Do you think it will look bad with the extra cylinder out of the cowls ? Or have any other unseen effect ?

I am not afraid of the extra lenth.

Chris
Old 01-24-2006, 11:36 AM
DVM100

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure about how that would look - to my view it may be a bit too much hanging out of the cowl. Adding an extra inch on the cowls may also upset the scale look. I would suggest going back over this entire thread to see what has been raised before - there is a whole lot of information well worth a read!! 72's may be a bit over powered as well, but as long as you strengthen the firewall I guess it would be okay. You could always put them at 45 degrees which might make it look better. If you have a look at my gallery you can see my Corsair which has that set up with a 120FS in her. The cylinder head is at the 1`35 degree point and that puts the muffler under the cowl.

Dave
Old 01-24-2006, 11:38 AM
lozza1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got to be honest chap, extending the cowls 1 inch that will look naff, whats the point in having a scale model thats nots scale, and
why the need for such big engines, 52 F/S's are ample, i know its all down to personal preference, but being honest just think it will look horrible.

sorry if this is being negative but believe forums should be honest in discussion

lozza
Old 01-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Montague

I got my Mossie during the holidays, and just started working on it this week.

I have a couple of quick questions about some of my planned mods, and I was wondering if anyone might know the answers so I don't have to find out the hard way.

The wing has those 2 channels in the top of it. What are they for? Are they necessary to clear the servos in the fuse? I was thinking of cutting out the wood in the center of the servo tray and going with 3 servos in the fuse, one set up with pull-pull on the rudder and a servo on each elevagtor half to the sides. It looks like the rudder servo would be fine in the middle, but I'm not totally sure.

I have some Robart model 510 retracts on order. The specs for the retracts make it look like a good match. They are spring-down, air-up units. I don't have the air tank yet, but I'm looking for a place to put the air tank. I was thinking of maby in front of the fuse servos or somehow getting inside the center of the wing. What have others done here?

I'm also looking to gain access to the area in front of the wing to mount the batteries (going with redundant packs. Why not, I'll need the ballast anyway) and maybe the RX. Is there a best way to go about that?

For engines, I'm going with OS .46AX's, and probably with Slimline pitts style mufflers. I like the exhaust note the Slimline muffler creates on my OS .32F. Proped to turn around 11k, I think the sound will be quite nice, not the normal whine you expect from 2-strokes.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:54 AM
DVM100

lozza, I think you are absolutely right and I strongly recommend Chris to think again about the 72's. magnum 52's are ample! Dave
Old 01-25-2006, 05:56 AM
Bad Driver

ORIGINAL: electricpete

I fancy making a semiscale indoor model moskito, Does any one know were I can beg buy or borrow a set of 3 dimension plans ideally with some fus formers as a guide. Alternatively does any one make a 15" to 24" free flight or rubber model. I like the lines of the Moskito, but if this fails a similar model, 'FROM the other side', would suit me.

Peter
Peter,
Go to the font of on-line 3-views ... www.airwar.ru

Mossie - http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/mosquit.html

Mossie B.IV - http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/mosquito.html

DH98 Mossie - http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/dhmosquitokr.html

...scroll down each page and hit the 'Download (zip...). button, or right-click & 'save as'.

HTH

P.S. I don't wish to appear pedantic, but just for the sake of accuracy the 'Moskito' was the Focke-Wulf Ta-154

Old 01-26-2006, 01:09 AM
gloria

HI kaastrup

jUST just happen to see you are or already have a Mosquito, I have on the building bench right now. What company is the model from?

NB.jeg er også dansjer, men bor i England.

Bo
Old 01-26-2006, 01:11 AM
gloria

Hi Christian, sorry about the bad English, I meant you are just about to get a Mosquito or already have one.

Bo
Old 01-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Montague

Another question, this time about the flaps. Have guys been going with the flaps as the instructions call for them, or doing some kind of mod? I'm not too thrilled with the bellcranks and such. I'd much rather go with 2 flap servos. But I don't see an easy way to wedge a servo down inside the bellcrank housings. I was messing around with it last night, and it looks like a really tight fit. Anyone have any pictures? I was considering putting the servo inside the nacelle and trying to solder up some kind of arm on to the torque rod. But I'm not sure how well that would work either.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:47 AM
kaastrup

Hej Bo

Skal vi skrive på dansk :-) Så er der nok nogle som bliver sure...

Yes I got my Mossi last Monday, and I have it on my workbench.

Its from JAMARA in Germany, but I think its the same as from Flair i UK (China Models)
Old 01-26-2006, 10:56 AM
kaastrup

To Lozza and Dave

First I must make a change in my measuring. The cowls extention is NOT 1 inch, but 1 cm [metric] which is more like 4/10 inch (0.39), and that is without cutting any notch in the firewall.

But the cylinder is coming out of the cowls a little more then with Magnum 52, and the cowls needs cutting like in the picture (Eric.Henderson).

Yesterday I had some really experienced folks (only total self built works for them) from our club to look at the quality of the kit, and they are plesently surprised. I have to strenghten the firewall and the fuselage.

I have the choice of NOT cutting the cowls, then I can go for 2-stoke 32-40 engines or 4-stoke RCV 58 CD engine (expensive)

Or I can cut the cowls and go for 4-stoke 52 or extend and cut with the Saito engines.

And the think is, I already have one Saito engine laying around, so it is cheap for me with that solution.

Scale wise the best solution would be the RCV 58 CD engines, but then we are talking double budget.....

I am also going for the 3-piece wing assemble.

I also got my retracts from 3DX Hobbies today, and they look nice.

I apretiate your concerns but I think the scale look will be OK for my taste.

I will post pictures later on

Chris

Name:	Yw67250.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	395709  
Old 01-26-2006, 05:27 PM
lozza1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So why strengthen the firewalls and fus its only a F/S ic engine pulling it along not a jet engine and if you put the F/S 's inverted they hardly show at all, also i think that the RCV 58 cd is longer in length than the O'S

Name:	Jh16148.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	395917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65704.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	395918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85436.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	395919  
Old 01-26-2006, 06:18 PM
kaastrup

Hi Lozza

Some nice pictures and a fine installation you made...

The guys at my club said that the fuselage at the point in the front section where the wing sits, looked a bit thin and fragile. Maybe its not.

You right, the RCV are a bit longer than OS 52 FS http://www.rcvengines.com/cd_series_dimensions.htm

I just heard a bird singing that the engines could give you trouble when fueling, they are leaking fuel at the air intake ???? And that they would run more evenly, when flying straight, bottom up or knife edge ????

Even though I do not need to cut the firewall for the muffler, the firewalls are precut from inside. Meaning that firewall has the one corner cut away in a c-shape, to do a sideways motor installation.

Nice installation you have for the glowplug ( the black connector behind the cowls) Am I right ?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:31 PM
kaastrup

One more thing...Lozza

Have you installed larger fuel tanks ?

Chris
Old 01-26-2006, 09:12 PM
DVM100

Chris,

looks to me like you have things under control - no meaning of offence with any comments made.

I looked at installing bigger tanks but the retracts impeded me (spring air mechanisms would not allow a bigger tank to fit. I figured that with the FS 52's being moer fuel economic than 45 2 strokes, I wouldn't need bigger tanks.

Dave
Old 01-27-2006, 05:36 AM
kaastrup

I had some old 320 cc tanks laying around, with the same diameter as the ones from the kit, just longer. But I can not get them down into the tank-room, because of the plywood bars for the wheels mounts. Maybee if I cut away a little from the plywood, they can go in. I just have to check if I need the plywood bar underneath.

Otherwise I thought about a header tank installation, like in a heli, it would be easy for me to install the tank from the kit and then one more tank of the same size underneath.

Unless I figure this problem out I will only get 5-6 minuttes with the Saito 72's......Huummmmm Any HELP here !!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.