Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: DeHavilland Mosquito

ORIGINAL: david polley

[8D]Gosh how neat to talking to someone from the UK. I am honered. Thank you for writing. I have the cowls on now, so we will see how that goes.
    What, what old boy! Jolly spiffin talk'n to you colonial chaps too! Good show on your 12th maidenflight, absolutely splendid, what what.

Anyway glad after all your efforts it's flying well!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[sm=lol.gif]

Alistair, how very very funny..! Do the smiley faces indicate that you have very big and very bad teeth like in Austin Powers.
    Yea Baby.............Do you want to Shag......!

Just kidding of course......

We have our warbird event coming up soon the first week in October, and we get flyers from all over the place to showcase their War Birds from any War and any era. I will hopefully get to showcase this beautiful model then and have a few folks from out of state maybe take a few photos and such. I do not get to showcase much of anything usually, however this could be something nice that will draw attention. No one else has a twin mosquito flying so I think it will do well. It has been over 90 degrees around hear and I want to wait until it cools off a bit before I go out and try to fly with the cowls on. Anyway, so good to talk to you, and really appreciate you writing. I have always loved the Mosquito, and have watched every single video I could find on You Tube about the Airplane and it's history. Amazing, the Wooden Wonder, made in furniture shops. Incredable.... Take care and check out our Web Page at www.gcrcc.net You will see what our model club is all about. There is a "sneak video" of our Air Show that we put on every year, that highlights some of the events we did last month. The new one this year was the recreation of the Doolittle Raid on Japan from an Aircraft Carrier. My job with the Air Circus is to provide the sound system and all of the music tracks that go with all of the events. This year I had 20 speakers all around the flightline. All of the music is in stereo, and the sound effects I have come up with over the years really enhance the show. It is very entertaining and very well put together by all of the members of our club. This was my 21st year of doing the music for the show. A lot of work, but it makes the show much more successful for the crowd to watch the models flying. Let me know what you think of the website if you get a chance to look.

God Speed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is a CMP Mosquito up for grabs on ebay - good price too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150289972621

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

j

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear Alistair

I saw you were on line so I thought I would say hello. I finally got the cowls on the mosquito, and am gearing up for our "Wings Of War" event coming up on the 5th of October. Really excited about that event. I hope all is well with you across the pond. Have you started anything new yet? Just checking. Hope you are doing ok. Take care.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Going building mad. Got a couple of kits from 'wings n wheels' show here in June. Balsa USA eindecker 90 (my first build) which is near done. Started the Balsa USA 1/4 triplane (3 wings and fuse done) that I got at the same time as a trial run before the GTM 1/3 DR1 that arrived last month. Gone complete circle in that I never thought I would bother building in favour of ARTF. Now ARTF doesnt appeal at all because I want to build models. Bizarre!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Alistair
    You are so right. I built models for years, and am so thankful for the experiance, for without it I would never even begin to know what to do with the ARF stuff. My CMP mosquito was a re-engineering "nightmare"[sm=what_smile.gif] that I thought I would never get off of the ground, but I had the experiance from the past to get me through it. I can't even imagine most folks getting it off of the gound without some kind of building experiance. The ARF instructions I had as you know were just drawings and no real instructions, like most good kits have.
    I now have a 90" CANT Z 1007 Italian bomber project coming up next. [sm=shades_smile.gif]
    It has 3 engines on it...( I will try and find 3 O.S. 40 FX engines to fly that one) I purchased it 2 years ago. It is made by Aviomodelli in Italy, and it took me over a year to get it once I purchased it from "Internet RC"
    The delay was because Internet RC had purchased several different model kits, and they claim they had to wait for all of the production runs to be completeld to have everything shipped at once. I really believe it should not have taken that long, and now I don't even know if they are in business any more. Anyway I found some photo's on the net and have added them her for you to see what it will look like. Again, another "one of a kind" kind of model to build and fly here in the states at our club field. The kit was advertised as an "ARF" but it is anything like an AFR at all. I will have to build this on up and try and translate the italian language to english to understand what they are saying. I have heard that they make really good kits and that they are very strong. Maybe this will be the place I start building it and sharing it with other folks. Good hearing from you again. Happy Flying....!

David

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr50203.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	1039664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw71495.gif 
Views:	7 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	1039665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ek15271.gif 
Views:	10 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	1039666  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alistair

I know the build bug well.
    I came back to the hobby after a break, made 4 "kit" models and got fed up with them and went scratch building. So much more satisfying.

David

That looks to be an interesting model you have there to do.
    I would run a build thread for all those who are interested to support you, especially when things get tough.
    Not only that, the thread will act as an archive so if you ever have the misfortune to damage your model you will be able to see exactly how you put it together in the first place, especially if you have to modify it as you go along.
    Good luck - I look forwards to the build thread.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David

nice project the aviomodelli CANT Z intalian bomber
    just be carefull, i've read a construction article in a magazine about it long time ago and i do remember it crashed on the maiden flight.
    the indicated CG on the plans was found to be wrong (tailheavy) according to the article.
    so check it very carefully

Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David
    That looks an interesting model and would be really good to see a build thread. Good luck with it.

Pentaxman - Yes I have a hankering to build from plan, I have one for an RE8 WWI biplane once I run out of kits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear Merlin II

Yes I have heard about the model being tail heavy. This is one of the reasons I am looking for the O.S. 40 FX engine because it was heavier than the 46 FX, and the 40 FX has much more cooling fin area around the engine which is what I need when flying a model with cowls on it. I have been really impressed with the one I bought about 5 years ago. I put it on my Carl Goldberg Skylark 56 that I built in 1981. You would not believe all of the miles I have on that model. I have had 3 radio systems in it, 5 different engines, 3 different canopies, 2 rudders, and I just placed my 20th, set of "Dave Brown Lite" wheels on it. I have also had to replace the monokote on the wing 3 times now. Great Airplane, and the 40FX on it is very powerful and cool running. And of course, they don't make that engine anymore, because I guess it was too good. Still, I have found a few places that still sell new ones.

[sm=disappointed.gif] I had lost my first CMP Twin Mosquito because it was tail heavy. The CG on the plans called for the spot being between 115 and 120 mm from the leading edge. I ended up placing it at 110 mm with the help of all of the fine folks in this forum. [sm=regular_smile.gif]
    If you go to post # 670, page 27, on this forum you can catch the link on "You Tube" of the my Mossie being flown at our Air Field in Cincinnati Ohio. As stated in the post, this is my third Twin Mosquito, and I finally have figured out most of the bugs in it.

Thank you for writing.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[sm=regular_smile.gif]

Dear Alistair,

We just had our "Wings of War" event at our club field at the Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club. I finally got to fly my Twin Mosquito with the cowls finally installed over the engines. It was really kicking some royal butt in the air with those OS 40SF engines screaming with those top flight 10 x 5 power props. A good friend of mine named Bob Duerr took several photographs of the model on the ground and in flight so I could share with everyone else what she looks like. Also. another super "Warbird" friend of mine, Sam Parfitt, shot a photo of me kneeling down by my model after I had just flown it in the event. We must have had close to 100 people come to the event, and let me tell you, there were some really beautiful models including some 1/3rd scale WW I bi-planes. I can't tell you what an absolute thrill it was for me to fly with my peers, and finally be able to enjoy all of the hard work that went into getting this thing in the air. If you go to www.gcrcc.net you will be able to see the photo's real soon as soon as they can get them on the web. Hope you are having a great day.
    David

Name:	Jh15514.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	1051699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz79153.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	1051700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33258.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1051701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81071.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1051702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl28498.jpg 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	1051703  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67220.jpg 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	1051704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj25790.jpg 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1051705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk25628.jpg 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	1051706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc91794.jpg 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	1051707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj23041.jpg 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	1051708  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi David
    Great pics. Just had my maiden flight of my first 'build' from a box of wood kit, a Balsa USA Eindecker (80" wingspan) and she flew lovely

Name:	Rp43844.jpg 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	1055394  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alistair

Very Nice Looking Model.

You can be very proud of you new pride and joy. Great Job! I have more photo's of our Wings of War event to share with you. We had several excellent models there that day. Let me know what you think of these. One of the fella's had an Eindecker just like yours. I thought you would like to see it, as well as a scratch built Handley Page, built by Chuck Snyder of our club the GCRCC. He also flew the Handley Page in our Air Show this year at the Butler County Regional Airpot. There is a couple of shots in here as well from that day. All of these photo's were all taked by Bob Duerr.

Enjoy your new Eindecker.[sm=regular_smile.gif]

David

Name:	Ca81349.jpg 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	1055533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq52427.jpg 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	1055534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl28404.jpg 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	1055535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt61290.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	1055536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68069.jpg 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	1055537  

Name:	Oj28536.jpg 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	1055538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl29013.jpg 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1055539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kh17408.jpg 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	1055540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs58711.jpg 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	1055541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96566.jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	1055542  

Name:	Ig12833.jpg 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	1055543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43333.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	1055544  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very very nice. Love the eindecker and especially the Handley Page, seen the full size real mcoy of both recently at the science museum here in london !

David
    Great photo's of some very well done scale, or nearly scale aircraft. It looks like you guys are really serious about the hobby, and the way you have described this particular event, you don't hesitate to share with your neighbors. The fella flying the Eindecker is Art Shelton, I believe. Art flew with our club, Indianapolis RC South, for a number of years; he has won a number of awards for this craft. I belive that he had the pleasure of his dad helping build this craft just before his dad passed. Art's dad was one heck of a guy. This craft uses wing warping instead of ailerons for roll control; if I remember correctly, it took Art a long while to perfect this feature.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Havnfun

So good to hear from you. We don't get too serious yet. We all have fun and love this hobby. I have been flying for 30 years now and it still makes me feel like a little kid. We have some really neat stuff on our website. Go to www.gcrcc.net and you can walk through all of the many things we have done over the last few years. Neat videos too, Let me know what you think.

Take Care

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Folks,
    Thanks for all the input from everyone. I test flew my new Mosie last Sunday in less than ideal conditions (especially after just decking the old DC3 moments before when I lost an engine on take off, but that is another story)
    I have to admit most honestly that all my fears were unfounded. She flies like a dream and the take off was totally uneventful. Half way down the strip we were airborne and totally under control. I did not use full throttle at all during the 7 minute flight and was really enjoying very low passes with the gear retracted at 1/2 throttle on the OS52 FS Engines They sound awesome!!!!!!!! The landing was perfect as I came in with half flaps for a dream 3 point touch down and received lots of applause from the many worried on lookers. She certainly flies fast but really goes where she is pointed. I am going to cherish flying this baby. I was hoping the test flight would be ideal conditions with no one around. But we had a scale day and many fliers were present and the breeze quite blustery, so really no pressure. Needless to say I was happy & stoked flying my Scale Long Ranger after this stressful event.
    So to all you people who intend to build this model. Go for it and take the well meant advice from the fellow modelers.
    I ended up getting one of our tool makers to make me back plates for the 3-1/4" Spinners which followed the profile to look like a 3-1/2 when run out at the depth of 16mm. They look superb. The engines were not moved back. The front of the drive hub was 118mm from the fire wall which kept all the weight forward and required less lead in the nose than others are quoting. I only required 8 ozs of lead to balance at 115 mm from the front of the wing next the fuse. ( from bottom surface) I also fitted a header tank to feed the stock tank like we do on our helicopters. This gives 260ml of fuel in each wing and a comfortable 15 minute flight on 3/4 throttle. with 5 minutes reserve. The rear tank empties first while keeping the front tank full. The CM Pro retracts look a bit light for the job but I may look at better Air Up spring down as posted earlier. Just make sure you use large screws and 6 in each mount instead of 4. She looks slick with the 3 blade props and there is more grunt than the model needs.
    The only negative with the construction was the undercarriage plates had been pre fitted 180 deg out and some radical joinery was required to move the cut outs over 12mm to allow correct alignment of the retracts. But it was all part of the challenge. Thanks again everyone. Your help has proved invaluable and if any one wishes to contact me for how I did it, please do so. I will be happy to share experiences. When I figure out how I will add a few pictures for reference. Don

Name:	Pm34906.jpg 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	1074210  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Congratulations, glad all went well for you and your new bird.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear tenajnodmot

Great Job on your model. I flew mine at our warbird event in October for the first time with the cowls installed. I had been flying it without them because I just wanted to make sure everything was the way I wanted it before spending a whole weekend carving out the cowls for that nice custom fit. I believe you are the first person to have added fuel tanks in your wings. That is really neat. I added 2 photos for you here. One you may have seen, the other was just sent to me, and it is a shot of my Mosquito and a Spitfire flying in formation. That was really a nice day. I have a video of mine on YouTube. The address is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZPewtLpsCE

I did not have the cowls on yet in the video, but you can hear the old 40SF engines singing that sweet sound. Can not wait to see your photo's

David

Name:	Ki20521.jpg 
ID:	1074419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf13720.jpg 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	1074420  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lots of good info guys, I am also a total scratch buider with a fair number of multiengined planes in my inventory, I usually do my own drawings, MANY years ago I sent for a set of Mossie plans from CAP in England, I finally decided to built it, I think it is one step away from U control, 60 inch wing span, 2/35 Merco's and the whole plane built as a complete unit !!!Over 40 oz wing loading, I have blown the plans up 12 % I was really interested in what you said about the center section, this one has three 1/4 ply spars,QUestion?? How did they mount the wing on your planes, on the real one they remove the entire section under the wing, On my P38 I cut the fuse in half just behind the cockpit and just slipped it over the wing, I am considering doing the same thing with the Mossie, the radio and battery will be mounted in the wing with just two servos in the fuse, I am going with two Saito 72 FS any suggestions will be greatlly appreciated Mike
    My inventory of multis
    C130 Herc
    C119 Boxcar
    P38
    UC 78 Bobcat
    Hampden
    Bolenbroke
    Britten Norman Islander

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK gentlemen, your horror stories are scaring me.
    I bought a Nitro Models Mossie 73" w/s ARF about 3 years ago as a fill in project. I don't know if it is the same as the CMP, but they look alike.
    I am installing Robart mechanical retracts with Fults dual strut mains and 3 1/2" wheels, flaps ( up, 1/2, and full travel to be determined) with a pair of OS 40FX engines.
    I am seeing people call it a slug and others are saying it is a good performer.
    I have an item of concern no one has addressed, the flat leading edge of the wing between the fuselage and the engine nacelle. That is a large area of drag (3 3/4" x 1" each side) My idea is to (glue) 3/4" triangle balsa in this area and shape it into the airfoil.
    The small picture I have seen looks like radiator inlets, but I can give-up scale for performace.
    Any suggestions to make this airplane live a long and happy life, along with the pilot, would be much appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear mytemotors,

Leave the leading edge alone. It is just fine. The 40FX engines will get you near if not over the 90 MPH mark with 10x6 Top Flight Power Point wood props. If you use a 3 bladed prop it will slow down the model a little, but fly more scale like. I would go with about 30% flaps for landings only. I engage the flaps on the downward leg of the approach and it stablizes very nicely for the landing. It is very scale looking when it lands. You can see that in the photos below. Do not use the flaps for take off's, it may stall.
    The Fultz dual struts are an excellent choice for your landing gear, but you will have to glue hardwood blocks where you are going to mount the main gear. The wood that is used in the China Model Products ( Also sold under Nitro Models, and Giant Scale Planes...YES...IT IS THE SAME MODEL) is called "Obeche" and is firm but very porous. Your main gear will rip right out of it's mounts unless you support the area with hardwood blocks. I drilled out holes through the glued hardwood and obeche combination and secured with six large plated steel 6x32 blind nuts and screws in each mount. Do not use brass blind nuts. they will just pull through the wood. I also used the same steel blind nuts to install the engine mounts to the firewalls of each nacelle. Believe it or not, you will have to use a few drops of superglue to secure the blind nuts into the obeche wood. The blind nuts will not grip into the obeche wood and you will just end up gouging out a big hole in the wood if you do not glue them into place. Carefully secure the blind nut into the wood and just lightly tighten. Then add the drops of superglue without getting the glue into the threads. Wait about a 1/2 hour, before you tighten up any mounting bolts into the blind nuts with the engine mounts and gear mounts.
    I tossed out ALL of the metric hardware and push rods that came with kit. It stripps out real easy. I went with all American Standard hardware. I hand made the push rods with 1/4 " hardwood spruce. I mounted the wing using three 10 x 32 brass inserts with superglue, (not epoxy) and three 10x32 x 2 1/2 inch steel screws.
    I eliminated trying to steer the rudder with the linkage with the plans. Even with the 6 set screws and filed flat spots on the assembley, it still stripped. You need all of the right rudder you can get to get the model off of the ground at first, especially on a paved runway. Throttle up slowly until the model starts to track. Once you pick up speed, you will find youself moving the rudder back and forth on the runway (paved runway) in smaller and smaller increments as the speed picks up. It is kind of like slowly oscilliating the rudder back and forth to keep the model tracking straight. I made a Z bend and exited the rudder push rod and connected it to a heavy duty "Sullivan" control horn mounted right at the base of the rudder. Much, much, better rudder control here. Once the elevator and rudder linkages were centered, I soldered the linkages into place to avoid the little bit of "slop" in the control surfaces that come up with the threaded clevis. There is a lot of stress on these linkages, so soldering them into place made them more secure and reliable. You can see the way I did this in my first photo below. Also, I removed the covering off of the top of the rudder, and glued solid pieces of very very thin plywood where the film covering was to secure the rudder in case the model tips over. If you wheels jam and the model tips over on to the rudder, it will crack into several pieces. It is not very strong at all. When it tips over now, (very rarely) no problem. Solid rudder and no broken tail if it tips over now. I covered the rudder with solar film (light heat) in a darker red and it gave the model a distinguished look about it.
    [X(]CAUTION.... The CG is NOT correct...I balanced mine at exactly 110mm from the leading edge between the fuselage and nacelle. This IS the right spot. Your Mossie will float in like a trainer with this CG point. Again, you will have to use the flaps, because the model will tip stall on the approach without them. After all the model is almost scale. Without flaps you are going to have to really keep the speed up for the landing or it will fall right out of the sky.
    I DO NOT want to discourage you. This is the NEATEST FLYING MODEL[sm=shades_smile.gif] I have ever had, and I have been in RC for over 30 years now. When I flew it at our Warbird Event last fall, it was with the engine cowls installed for the first time. Man oh man did it kick some royal butt. An absolute thrill for me to have many different visitors watching. IT IS A GREAT FLYING MODEL AND TRACKS SUPER. Once you get it in the air it is like flying a low wing trainer. The key to this model is GETTING THE DARNED THING OFF OF THE GROUND. Really good beefed up landing gear and wheels is the key, and very solid rudder control will get the model off of the ground very nicely. Paved runways can be a bear, but just bring her up slowly and you will get it her off of the ground just fine. It WILL fly where you point it, and is so realistic in the air when I bring her down for the high speed passes. Really cool stuff.[8D]
    I have to O.S. 40SF engines on my model that I rebuilt just for this project. Your 40FX engines will make this model rock. I have a 40FX on my Goldberg Skylark. Great engine. I really do not see how folks can really fly this thing on the 32SX engines that were recommended, especially with retracts. It is going to come in at around 12 to 13 pounds.
    I hand made my landing gear (no retracts on mine) by taking 3/16 inch wire and using two 5/32 inch wires along side the 3/16 and wrapping solid copper wire around the whole mess and soldereing it all together with a 150 watt soldering gun. You can kind of see what I did in the second photo below. I know it sounds like over-kill, but the model just tore up the standard 5mm gear that came with the kit. I know it sounds impossible, but you can not bend the fixed gear that came with the kit by hand, and you would think that it was strong enough.....No way brother, it bent over like string cheese when trying to get the model off of the ground. The tork from the engines pulls the model hard left, and then when you tried to counter with hard right rudder, the gear just bent inward or tore out of the mount. What I hand made really worked well, and adding the Dave Brown Lite wheels, made the model very stable and manageable on the pavement. If you are flying off of a grass runway, it will be a whole lot easier getting the model off of the ground.
    Make sure you engines are broken in real well. Make sure you put foam around your gas tanks. Get plenty of lead fishing sinkers to add the weight you are going to need to stuff into the nose to make the model balance at the 110 mm point. I added almost a pound of weight in the nose to balance it out. I glued my lead weights into a standard "Scotch 33" black electrical tape container, which just happend to be the very same diameter as the nose of the model. I also used 1.5 Amp Hr. Nicad batteries in a flat pack for my receiver. I then combined the two together and secured both with a whole lot of foam blocks right up againts the back of the nose of the model. That took care of the CG problem.
    I have alread crashed 2 of these models because I stuck with the CG they recommended. Both crashes were due to the model being to tail heavy. I had the video to prove it in both cases. Despite the crashes, I did not give up. I knew I could make it work.
    Last, make sure you have "tow in" on the wheels. This really helped in the tracking department. 3 or 4 degrees "tow in" on each wheel will get you off of the ground a lot easier. You can see a 2 minute video of my model that was taken last summer at our field. Just click the link below if you have not already in this forum. The link is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZPewtLpsCE and you can see how I move the rudder back and forth on take off and how my model flew. I did not have the cowls on at the time, but when I did put them on, the model went another 20 miles per hour faster then what you see in the video.. The only "drag" you will encounter if any, will be if you fly the model without the cowls. As you can see in the video, having no cowls did not take away anything from the performance.
    Was it worth it? Your darn tooten. It is an absolute thrill. It was definitely worth the 2 years of trial and error to get it right. The model is a real show stopper. I know you are going to be just fine, and I just hope that some of what I have offered here will help save you some time and help you get you Mossie in the air.
    Good Luck to you.

David

Name:	Qn38139.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1086821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44532.jpg 
ID:	1086822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37509.jpg 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	1086823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tq48616.jpg 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	1086824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo38723.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	1086825  

Name:	Rp43381.jpg 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	1086826  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JUST FWIW>...

SOON THERE WILL BE A REAL EASY TO FLY MOSQUITO entering the ARF ARENA...

it will BE IMAA LEGAL.... and will be a true ARF that will put all your minds at ease!

COMING IN FEB/MARCH!!

CHEERS!

-TOMAS
    VQ WARBIRDS
    www.vqwarbirds.com
    info@vqwarbirds.com
    R/C WARBIRDS / RC TANKS ENTHUSIAST
    VQ WARBIRDS, KMP, & RCV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can you give us any tid bits of info Tomas??? a picture or two would be awesome.. hint hint
    ACRC

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast