Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

DeHavilland Mosquito

Old 10-10-2004, 10:52 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DeHavilland Mosquito

Krum,
Nice Mossie....You headed back to Edingurg this February???
Old 10-16-2004, 02:28 PM
CharlieDelta

Finally... finally... the wind abates, the retracts are fixed and the mossie flies again.

First flight was going well when after a slow photo pass the starboard engine cut. Full rudder and aileron had little effect - I should have cut the port engine sooner but lost all air speed and plunged nose first into the ground. Luckily it hit soft mud and amazingly the nose cone took the full force and there was virtually no damage. I cleaned it off, tuned the engines to run a bit better at low throttle and took to the skies again for two successful flights.

Next job is to fit the cowls and spinners and then its onto active service.

Coincidentally today was the Final reunion of the Mosquito flyers: see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3748848.stm so I was glad my mossie went up to mark that event.

Lets see your mossies in flight.

Chris - a happy (for now at least) mossie pilot!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70342.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	183363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74544.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	183364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36464.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	183365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64317.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	183366  
Old 10-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Chris The Mossy realy looks good in the air with the wheels tucked away.
I have 2 52 four strokes and a set of rom air retracts looking for a home. T
Any more flight reports out there?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:57 AM
CharlieDelta

Rich

Thanks, I'll have some better photos once the cowls and spinners are on and I get a better camera zoom.

It would be great with 52 4strokes but the distance from firewall to prop driver is only about 96mm which may be a bit short for the 52.

Chris.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:20 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks fantastic!

congratulations [8D]
Old 11-04-2004, 10:44 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

Well, I finally flew the Mosquito #2. With both engines in sync, the take-off was just great, few clicks
of ailerons and few more clicks on the elevator and it flew very well....only it was a bit elevator
sensetive (slightly tail heavy). It flew quite fast with 2 ea .32 2stroke engines, landing was quite
slow...didnot have to use flaps, besides it was elevator sensetive and I did not want to take a chance.
I have added 2 1/2 oz lead weight on each motor mount, I will test fly it next week. Also I will add invasion stripes on the top of the wing...boy!! did it blend into the desert background, lucky I have white spinners. Did not use the retracts due to elevator sensetive problem. Will keep you all informed on the next flight...[8D]
Old 11-15-2004, 11:04 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Is this the same plane as the Flair ARF?

http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/Mosquito_73.htm

John
Old 11-15-2004, 03:31 PM
codimasta

Yes..it is the same plane...check the spars...they should be plywood...not Balsa.[8D]
Old 12-09-2004, 12:16 AM
DragonLines
My Feedback: (13)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just thought I would post a note about this plane. I had purchased one on E Bay from Racing Devil Hobbies. It was one of the first ones out and had the defective wing. I found out before I flew the plane and began trying to get something done. Racing Devil referred me to Jet Hobbies as their importer. Jet Hobbies denied they were the importer even though Racing Devil had a invoice showing that they bought it from them. They ended up referring me to China Model Products directly. CMP also said Jet Hobbies was the importer and would handle the claim. To make a long story short, CMP was unable to get Jet Hobbies to even contact me about the plane. CMP was very nice about it and wanted me to be happy. It took a couple of months but they finally gave up on Jet Hobbies and sent me a new improved plane direct from China. They even sent it Fed Express 3 day. Haven't had a chance to build the new one yet but wanted all to know that CMP will stand behind their product and time delay withstanding I am pleased with the outcome. If anyone wants more detail just drop me a line.
Happy Flying
Old 12-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Baldeagle

Well guys I got a Mossi for Christmas. Mrs Santa was pretty nice. I like the idea of removable wing tips and also the pull-pull od the elev and rudder. I have a set of Romair retracts that I have had for a long time and they fit great. Some nice struts would be nice. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year. I will get started on the Mossi tomorrow. Rich
Old 12-30-2004, 04:51 AM
Thaba Raptor
My Feedback: (2)

I am also interested in building/assembling a CMPro DH-98 Mosquito. i have 2 OS FS-52's lying around. What do you guys think will they work? What about weight and CG? Do anybody know of scale-like air retacts for this bird?

I have a CMpro F6F Hellcat. Flies great and look great with CJM rotating air retracts.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Baldeagle

Raptor I am woring on one now with Magnum 52 FS in it. I decided to go with the mechanical retracts, hope to have them and the spinners Friday. Will post pictures next week. Rich
Old 12-30-2004, 10:32 AM
codimasta

I have a pair ofO.S. .32 FX (2Stroke) on my Mosquito..it flies very fast. The OS 52's should help with the CG, as the model tends to come out a little tail heavy. I tried a set of Robart retracts, they looked scale, however they do not retract completely into the nacelle (since the DC-3 shows
the wheel), I am using a set of Spring-Aire retracts with Oleo struts..looks alright. They might make a set for it , at the present time I am unaware of it..

Larry
AMA 11269
Old 01-01-2005, 12:58 PM
ohbewun

Hi, I have just completed a Flair Mosquito ( same as CM Pro) with a pair of SC 52 four strokes. Had problems getting the engines far enough back but I cut up some standard GF mountings so the carbs almost tough the bulkhead. This leaves about a 5mm gap between the cowling and the spinner but doesn't look too bad. Mossie also has Eurokit air retracts and oleo legs. Will post some photo's and let you know when it flies.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Baldeagle

ohbewun It would be nice to see the retracts with the struts. How much were the retracts with the struts?
Did everyone use the hinges supplied with the kit? Thanks Rich
Old 01-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Baldeagle

What brand of spinner are you using on your Mossi? Thanks Rich
Old 01-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Mykol
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys;

I'm awaiting shipment of my GSP Mosquito this week. Not sure what engines to invest in. I was considering a pair of o.s. .46fx engines. I prefer the extra power and I was hoping it would balance out the model better rather than adding nose weight.

Does anyone know if the .46fx will fit within the cowling length and/or the muffler cutout? I hope to get an accurate answer soon because I have an opportunity to buy a good slightly used one for a great price to complement the spare I already have. Will an 8oz fuel tank fit behind each firewall?

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Baldeagle

Mike the 46fx will fit . I just measured it. You will have to cut the cowl for the head to stick through. I put 8 oz Dubro in mine. You have to do a little cutting inside to get it to fit. Hope this helps. You will love this kit, it is neat. Rich
Old 01-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Mykol

Thanks Rich, that's great to know.
Can you give me some details about any mods you have made, which retracts you chose? Will you try Robostruts with it? How is the quality of the spar which used to be an issue.
Any hints and tips will be appreciated.

Do you have any pics of yours to post?

Mike
Old 01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
codimasta

This is the mossie with out the front canopy...you should see the oleo struts.

Name:	Nl28847.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	211077  
Old 01-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Mykol

That looks great!

Details please...which struts and retract maker? This is still the GSP Mosquito? Which engines in there? And other mods?

Mike
Old 01-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Baldeagle

Mike the spar isue has been taken care of , it has a 1/16 ply main spar instead of balsa.
I ordered the retracts and spinners from GSP and they both were wrong. I used some retracts Dave Brown> I think. and some struts I had. P&G struts. <They are no longer in bussiness>
I am still waiting for some spinners. I put Invasion stripes on mine and change the lettering on the side to red. White letters don't show up to good on a white invasion stripe.
Still looking for info on spinners . What brand?
Codimasta Love the Betty Boop. The nose looks good. I might chance mine also. Rich
Old 01-05-2005, 08:06 PM
codimasta

Check all the messages in this forum..they are pictures of the pull-pull on the rudder, twin metal rods for the elevator. The engines that I am using are OS 32 FX, the retracts are Spring-Aire, Oleo's are from VQ, on board glo starter...Hope this helps. Be careful this model tends to come out tail heavy...be sure to check the CG with it in the retract mode....The spinners are CB Assoc.
3 1/2 Mustang.

Name:	Om33357.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	211112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81901.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	211113  
Old 01-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Baldeagle

Where does your Mossi ballance at? The ins call for it in Metric I came up with 41/2 in at the wing pannel joint with the wheels retracted. Still waiting on the right spinners from GSP. Thanks Rich

Name:	Rp44675.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	212921  
Old 01-09-2005, 09:57 PM
codimasta

Thats right, 4 1/2 is were I balanced mine....don't you like the CB Associates spinners, I think they look cool...Does GSP have a different type?

Larry
AMA 11269

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.