Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

DeHavilland Mosquito

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
badazzgti03
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DeHavilland Mosquito

awesome!!! great pic!! thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunno if this comes through as a link....
http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft...fm_mosq-12.jpg
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 AM
badazzgti03

Thanks Cathurga!!! came through great
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM
cathurga

Our prayers have been answered lads..... Check this out" he will custom make them, 90mm and cut for 3 bladers...

http://www.tag-model-spinners.com/ma.../spinners.html
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM
badazzgti03

Thats awesome!!! pricey but awesome!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 AM
cathurga

He charges US$150 for a set, reasonable I feel.....specially since there are no other options this good...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
david polley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ichecked out the website and did not see 90 mm spinners ( 3.5 inches)...Do they just not have a photo of those yet....?

Do they make 2 blade spinners...Where are they located...?

Just asking

David
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM
badazzgti03

For now i'm happy with my HK carbon fiber ones 2 blades for now... trimmed one spinner to fit pusher prop...i gotta post some pics
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM
cathurga

David,

He is located in Australia. He custome makes them so I would assume them to be the same as the 100mm ones he has on the website, I think they are very cool, I will be ordering a set soon. He also said no problem for cutting them out for counter rotating props.

He quoted me US$37 shipping to Dubai, and although a little expensive, I am prepared to sink some money into this plane as she is defo a keeper for me....
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 AM
badazzgti03

well ran into a problem. got my 6S lipos and they are freakin huge. they wont fit in the compartment behind the fire walls and really can only fit 1 in the nose...now im in an effin bundle!! I don't know what to do, really don't want to spend more $$ on smaller lipos..what I have now are 2X 6S 40c 4000mah
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just opened up my "NEW BOX" with the goodies in it and plan to order Scorpions , Castle esc's and Tru Turn spinners. Will be checking my supply of servos as I will be going with Airtronics digitals and eflite retracts. Just not too sure were I will put the lipo's yet. What seems to be the best spot ... anyone got pics or suggestions ? Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 AM
david polley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cathurga,

Are you purchasing 90mm spinners...? When you do and you order them, please let the rest of us know what that part number is....
Also when you order, let me know if he would make a 2 bladed spinner since I don't fly with the 3 blade.....

Yes I know about this one being a keeper my friend.....If you can get through all of the problems that do not normally come with an ARF like this one and you finally get it in the air, it is an awesome feeling for sure.....It really has "presence"when you are flying itand it will draw attention for sure....

For me personally, outside of the real thrill of getting in the air and having a great landing, is when I first fire it up at the field on the ground right before I take it up.....I always hold up the model and give it just a little shake to get the fuel flowing and then those engines come together and everyone at the field knows this is something special thatis getting ready to take to the air....

It isthen you "feel" all of the eyes at your back from your modelingbuddies in antipication of what will happen next....

"Will he get it in the air this time, or will there be something worse....."

In any case that is how it goes with the other folks in the pits...If you are a success you feel that...If you fail and put it in, you definitely feel that too....(Ifelt that 3 other times....it is no fun....) But, I just don't know what it is about this model that has me so hooked on it.....I guess it is such a beautiful airplane that I am drawn to it like ants to sugar water....I am simply just hooked on it........

I have another video of our GCRCCFlying Circus as we prepare for our Air Show in the morning of thefirst day of the 2 day event we put on every year...We are all preparing for the big 4 hour show, powering up engines and waiting anxiously before the airport is shut down and the show begins.....This is from our 50th anniversy Air Circus that we put on every yearsponsered the club.....

Since I was the sound man back then, I had to fire up and get the engines tuned up before I flew in our WW II reinactment later on in the day...This is the only time I had to prepare the mosquito as timing is everything with our air show...You have to be ready and if you are not you are grounded.....(love those engines...) Hope you like our Air Circus preview....

The video link is www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPuDOZsQOQY
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88044.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1851941  
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 AM
cathurga

ORIGINAL: badazzgti03

well ran into a problem. got my 6S lipos and they are freakin huge. they wont fit in the compartment behind the fire walls and really can only fit 1 in the nose...now im in an effin bundle!! I don't know what to do, really don't want to spend more $$ on smaller lipos..what I have now are 2X 6S 40c 4000mah
Badazz, dunno what to say,....I am running mine on a 6S 5000 that I built a tray for in the nose......not sure what you would do with those if they dont fit behind the firewalls.....maybe see in the classifieds if someone wants to trade, or maybe put them on there for sale and get some others. Have look in the elcetric conversion thread, there was a guy running two packs and he made a hatch under the canopy. I think he was on 5S though so not sure how the dimensions change.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 AM
cathurga

David Polley, he is custom making them, so no part number that I know of. I will be ordering this weekend hopefully. Specs I have given him are:

Hub thickness
Blade width
No of blades
89mm backplate
8mm shaft

Will defo report back on them.

P.S. Good video, but you cannot tempt me to run nitro again....When I get things sorted on the mossie, I will install a benedini sound system :-)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 AM
badazzgti03

got 6S batteries to fit behind firewalls..had to remove some plywood but will re-install for battery mounting plate. Started to work on the wing intakes and extractors. I should start a build log for this
Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM
cathurga

I should start a build log for this
Yes....yes you should...

And I will endeavour to put more info on my setup, with more pics....
Old 02-15-2013, 01:19 PM
badazzgti03

well alright than ill get some pics posted and info stated
Old 02-16-2013, 11:06 AM
stegl

Nice looking custom spinners but in my opinion a little too pointy on the tip according to what I have here for pictures on the DH Mosquito... they seem closer to the mustang spinner. I will be using Tru Turn P51's . For those that have fowln their's I have a question with props in the 12 and 13 inch range and with those huge spinners.... was there any reduction in thrust ? I am thinking that the 3 blade may work out a little better as there is more prop left to "move the air" ? I am using electrics.

the other question.. can we get some pictures posted on how batteries installed in cowl... behind motors ? many thanks

Also; before I read Polley's mod ( to which I agree, whole hartedly) to the inner portion of the wing with the flat spots ; I will be building the curved leading edges to produce more effective lift and making them as a plug in and then for static use, I can unplug . Great idea Polley .

Len
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Hotrcair
My Feedback: (1)

Try this place for spinners
http://www.mecoa.com/acc/index.htm
Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 PM
stegl

Pretty pricey for plastic cones.... but good thing is you could order extra cones and do a 3 or a 2 cutout using the same backplate, though.
Went with the Tru Turn P51.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 AM
cathurga

There is a bit of a point on the spinners, but they are a lot nicer than most alternatives, I think the machining process requires a bit of a 'point' on it....who knows, maybe I can file that a little flatter
I have seen the tru-turn ones in the flesh, the thing that stopped me buying them is that I want a counter rotating one, and would need to order that custom made, and I would have been in the same position I am in now. I am not sure what you want to know about the props?? Some of the nitro guys go as small as 11x7 blades with the same size spinners....I am not an expert but from my understanding, most of the thrust is developed in the outer third of the blade anyway. Two bladed props are always going to be more efficient but you are right that due to size limitations, you cannot go over a 13" diameter. You can go up in pitch until you start hitting prop stall....and then you are pretty much at the limit of what you can do. I am running 13x8x3's and I feel it is a little lacking on speed.....I am going to try a 13x8x2 with my watt meter and I have a feeling I might drop some amps and a bit of power,but it might mean a few more revs. I will only fly it if it is giving me more 1600W combined. Anything lower than that and I am getting to under 100W/lb.
After that, I am going to try a set of cut down 16x10x3. With this setup, there is a danger of stalling the props at standstill but I am positive that it will unload in the air and give me an opportunity at more speed, but also dropping some throttle. Dunno if this is any use to you.....just rambling...

Badazz, nice work on getting the batteries fitted, sometimes just requires a little 'bashing'.....Since we are building electric, the guts of this plane will change PLENTY with all the adjustments that need to be made to accomodate batteries etc...
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 AM
stegl

Filing the end of the custom spinners might work if there is enough aluminum there. Yes Tru Turn will do cutouts for left and right props and will cut for a specific prop also. I did a Ecalc sim on a mixture of 12 and 13 inch props both 2 and 3 blade; in 7 and 8 inch pitch using Scorpion 4020-14 motors and 6S ; don't think a 10 inch pitch will work at all as 8 inch is pretty much the limit and then prop stall. Also cutting down a 16 inch prop to 13 inches is taking a lot off the tip and then it would look far from scale. I think the limit is about 1/2 inch. More like the big paddle blades of a Herc or Convair 580 turbo-prop. I don't think the 10 inch prop will unload enough in the air but that is just my observations. What were you running for motors and cell count ?
Thanks
Len
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM
cathurga

Len,

Will check on those spinners when they arrive, said I'd be a guinea pig, and so I shall be.

With the prop pitch, ecalc gives a stall at 10" yet not at 9", having been cautioned about the accuracies of ecalc, I am not taking anyone's word for the possibility of prop stall, I am simply going to test it myself!
I will start with 2 blades on test, followed by 3. All done static, on the ground with a wattmeter to see if/when they stall. Then I will try on the plane, on some take off runs. I have an incredibly long runway here, so there is no need to leap into the air. I will be sure to post my findings. My suspicion is that ecalc err's on the side of caution, and if they are on the verge of stall, the unloading will occur, and as long as I don't jam the throttle on at any time, should be ok.
I am running 400kv motors on 6s, the scorpion 4020-12 says it is a 550kv, and at those rev's, the blades on a 13x10 will definately stall....you will also be drawing considerably more amps.
If you read through the previous threads, you will see we had a debate on the power combo options for this plane. There were some opposing opinions, but there was also a lot of CONSTRUCTIVE views that I for one, took as very interesting and resourceful.
I don't know much about the scorpion motors or their performance, but they might be closer in match to the combo badazz has.

I take your points regarding cutting down props, but I have little choice in the matter as 13x10x3's are not available. A club member told me it should be ok, but in essence I will end up with a little over 10" pitch value as the blade shape will be different at the ends, with more 'twist' at the tip. I will try to round of the tips a bit, and again, will ground test first before sending her aloft.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 PM
stegl

Sorry , I corrected the motor to read -14 (484kv) in my above entries... not -12..... my error. I used the Ecalc on my Scorpion 4025-12 ( I guess that was were I got the -12) . I also found after using ecalc for the 4025-12 motor (on my Cessna 182) that I was within less than 3% error from estimated amps to the actual amps and the actual running rpm was right on so I was pretty impress with the numbers.

Yes, if you were runnin 400kv on 6S then your airspeed could be lacking with a 8 inch pitch. Thanks

Yes, I have to do some catchup reading backwards on this forum. This is my third twin in the last 3 years ( and the both others are still flying) so it will be some very interesting reading.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Dangaras

I fly a 8lb H9 60 size corsair on a 50-55-400kv motor, 16*8*3 & 16*10*3, 6S-5000 and with both props she flies just fine.

Nice scale takeoffs and big round loops. 8 to 10 mins of flying time. So with two motors/props and weighing less than 16lbs you will be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.