Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

DeHavilland Mosquito

Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DeHavilland Mosquito

Looken good . Wondering what the plan for the holes are in the belly portion ?
Just starting with the revised nosecone. Gonna be lotsa work but should look good. Looks like I will be putting my batteries in the nose behind the new cone that will be a quick removal system with only one 4-40 bolt. I am also going with 3.25 inch spinners and moving them 1/4 inch foreward and do a tapered cowl from original 3.5 inch to a 3.25 inch. The spinners will be Tru Turn spacewalkers which are a bit shorter but have a similiar shape as the P51 spinners which are a bit on the long side. Spitfire spinners would be a closer profile but they don't make them . I have already moved the elevator and rudder servos forewrd about 4.5 inches which will change the weight from behind of the cof G to in front of the C of G. The way I look at it is the more I move from behind the Cof G to foreward ; the less lead deadweight I will have to add in the end or I guess I should say in front. ( gotta say that before I get corrected ). Will post picturs when I get a minute.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 AM
badazzgti03
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stegl,
as for the holes on the belly...really don't know what they are for but the wing came that way when i got it from a member on here...he had an electric set up as well.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 PM
stegl

OK, Just wondering; as I hadn't noticed before. I like the way you are doing the air outlet for the cooling inlets. Are you going to droop the leading edge down about halfway like the big ones ? I think there was a few good photos posted a while back. Thanks

Heading into the shop to do the first glass layer of my new nosepiece . So far Pretty happy the way it turned out. May get a picture posted tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 AM
badazzgti03

Stegl,
Id love to see how that node piece turns out. are you doing any extras? I haven't gotten to mine yet, still working on the wing. As for the wing intakes...Yes i will be building that out, already started on it just need to pick up some more wood today for it, glue it, sand it, fill it and glass it. By the way i need to re-wrap the rudder, whats the best color/monokote to wrap the rudder in?? I was thinking about just doing it matte black but i don't know if it will look right with the rest of the plane...hmmmm any ideas?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 AM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see all the progress guys! Some awesome 'bashing' going on with them. I have not done much on the mossie, waiting for my spinners to come, and then I will get onto it......I really want to fly this plane again, and I think I might end up going for the vario props if the 16x10x3's dont cut down so well.

Keep the thread going, some great stuff going on here
Old 03-01-2013, 07:50 AM
badazzgti03

Awesome!!!!
Anyone know where to get some scale guns from that would fit this bird? or are people making there own?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM
stegl

ORIGINAL: badazzgti03

Stegl,
Id love to see how that node piece turns out. are you doing any extras? I haven't gotten to mine yet, still working on the wing. As for the wing intakes...Yes i will be building that out, already started on it just need to pick up some more wood today for it, glue it, sand it, fill it and glass it. By the way i need to re-wrap the rudder, whats the best color/monokote to wrap the rudder in?? I was thinking about just doing it matte black but i don't know if it will look right with the rest of the plane...hmmmm any ideas?
Coverlite makes a real light paintable iron on covering that should work real good. Have some but haven't tried it yet as far as the painting goes.
Having a problem uploading a picture of the new nosepiece. will try again later and if no-go will try another picture later. The covered piece is in the oven cooking to speed up curing.... very very low heat though I leave the oven lamp on and it generates enough heat. Works great but I don't tell the wife what I am doing !
Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 PM
badazzgti03

ohhh man!!! shes gonna go nuts! if she sees that in the oven lol.
I'll have to take a look at the coverlite stuff. Dude Try using photobucket.com to upload pics
Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM
stegl

I posted pictures before and they went ok ??? Not sure how to do photobucket but will take a look. Apparently it is an internal server error at RCuniverse.

Other have had the error " 500 internal server error" happening as well but can't find were to report it. Try a test photo from your photo bucket or whatever and see if it posts.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
stegl

RC universe was down and would not load pic's seems to be working now and real fast. The first pic is the plug with first layer glassing the second is the initial plug without glassing. Once I get it finished and primed will try and do a plug for more and show how I mount it without external screws... Hatem ! Working on the rudder now and will be doing the battery tray and it lookes like it will be mounted in the nose as that
gives me more foreward positioning than behind each motor. Photo also of were I moved the servo tray to and being glued in the picture. The inside of the canopy area I have the servos covered with a lite box that will simulate the aircraft radio installation. Will add a photo when it is primed as will look better. Has anyone done removable outer wing panels and how did you do it ? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44986.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1857501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65145.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1857502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72425.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1857503  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM
badazzgti03

Nose cone looks good man, I'll be doing something similar but adding some guns to it. I have been finishing up the wing intakes and extractors. I'll take some progress pics tonight...all in all looks good with the home depot window screen in the intakes. Had to get a whole roll of metal screen just for a few small little pieces.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
stegl

Oh... not done yet for sure... Yes some guns will be in the works, I hope. This is just the male plug to make a female mold and hope to make some spares. At least that is the plan at the moment.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM
stegl

Here is the picture of the full size Mossie... check out the leters and number ! Stripes on the tail are a little high on the model and there never was a ridge near the trailing edge of the real one or any mossie .

Name:	Fc90226.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1858629  
Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 PM
stegl

Well , I am committed and looks like it will work out ok. Did some measuring in behind the the leading edge flat spots.. and my Castle ICE esc's will fit just nicely. The inner leading edge flat covers are coming along real nice... lot better than I had first though. They will be screwed on from inside the ESC compartments which will be axcessable from the bottom as I did not want to disturb the appearance of the upper wing portion. The power leads to the motors look like they will be long enough. Will try and get some pictures posted as soon as I can. The two 6S 4000 mah lipos will fit in behind the new nosecone real nice with room to expand but don't think it will be needed. Will cut the lower ESC opening on the other side tomorrow morning. Once the inner leading edge balsa airfoil get their final sanding and check the shape ; I will then do a partial opening on the lower high pressure area; for some airflow to the esc's . Then glassing of the two leading edge parts. Man Oh Man ... talk about a lot of extra work so it better be worth it
Old 03-07-2013, 07:44 AM
badazzgti03

Still working on the wing intakes. need to glass them and paint. I don't know if I asked before but what paint do you all recommend for the green and grey scheme? Ill post some progress pics soon. I had to move the ECSs to the intake where the engine cowl is. Heard putting extensions from the motor to the ESC is a no no. Still will get plenty of air flow where its at now.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM
stegl

ORIGINAL: badazzgti03

Still working on the wing intakes. need to glass them and paint. I don't know if I asked before but what paint do you all recommend for the green and grey scheme? Ill post some progress pics soon. I had to move the ECSs to the intake where the engine cowl is. Heard putting extensions from the motor to the ESC is a no no. Still will get plenty of air flow where its at now.
Seems that some ESC's are more tolerant on lead lengths ( not taking the extensions to extremes) than others but then you will get differing views. I guess that since I go with Castle ; I will side with their recommendations. The leads length from the esc to the motor should be long enough so that the esc will fit in behind the center wing flat leading edges. The other end to the batteries might need a little extension but I will be adding my own cap pack to the battery leads at the esc. They are recommended for entended battery side leads and allows more length.

What happens with the battery lead/capacitor setup is that it stabizes the line voltage from spikes when the throttle is jockeyed up and down and users claim that they get more performance out of their system when they add additional capacitors. Now I am only going by what I have researched by users and everyone that use them swear by them.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 AM
badazzgti03

I wish I could put the ESC, where the wing intakes are. But they are were they are now. I got pics!!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:57 PM
stegl

Have been working on extending my motor mount spacers today(machining) and painting the servo cockpit cover.. Ran out of dowl and had to run arround to find more aluminum rod..Hope to get the balsa spacer glued and glassed on the front of the cowls; tomorrow so I can get it primed . I am reduceing the spinner from 3.5 inches down to 3.25 inches. will try and get a photo posted. Made the mount 1mm longer than needed so that I can do a final trip once the cowls are done. Man this is as bad as building from scratch !

Oh by the way... your work bench looks as bad as mine and I thought I was the only one that worked like that ...
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM
badazzgti03

Lol yup but I try to keep in as clean or organized as possible but its hard....why work bench is actually a large drafting table lol
Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 PM
stegl

Beats mine, I have an old well used plywood door with 2x4 legs and frame; for the last 25 plus years that was never used as a door.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 PM
stegl

Did some final shaping on my inner leading edges . Decided I will make them screw on; for now ... Will get them glassed tomorrow. Not looking too bad. Hope to be able to post some pictures.

March 13th:::: Well I did my first squirt of gray on the nosecone , air inlets and servo cover.... will wait till they are dry and then will see just how it looks. Methinks that the gray may be a little on the light side..... sooo I may have to custom mix. Lets hope that when it dries flat that the shade may change .

Ok guys here is the progree I have made so far. The openings in the leading edge are not to scale, but then there are lots of other stuff built by the manufacturer that are not scale either; I guess. I wanted to utilize the full lift of the inner wing sections as I agreed with a few others and felt that the flat front inner leading edge does not create much lift; if any. all that it created was drag. I put the ESC cooling slots in the lower portion which is the higher pressure spot and will create good air flow. May put venting in the trailing part of the covers.

The primer paint is much too light in colour so will have to mix my own to match. Next are the holders for the Castle Ice 100 esc's so I can bolt them down. Will be using additional capacitors as the battery leads will be longer, since they are in the fuse nose behind the nosecone which will be a quick release with one screw/ 2-56 socket head bolt. Still lots to do.

Name:	Xv64137.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1860107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39769.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1860108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96771.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1860109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25024.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1860110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36688.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1860111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn88361.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1860112  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 PM
stegl

Here is basicly how and where I will mount the Castle ice Esc's and as you can see I have lots of wire to the motors.

Name:	Lj22634.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1861698  
Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 AM
badazzgti03

Looking good man. Different way of doing the leading edges, looks good! Same with the nose cone. Are you doing any extra nose cones by the way? Just wondering cause it could save me time on the build which I really don't have much of. Same thing happened to me with the primer...thinking about going with a model paint then a matte clear for repainting the leading edge area.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 AM
stegl

Yes... looking at doing more nosecones as the one I did, took one heck of a lot of time and I am not finished yet. When I get a minute I will photo how I hooked it up so there is only a one screw attachment; until I figure a better way. Been looking at the Klass kote military paints and almost looks like the paints that will match are British RAF dark green , British RAF medium sea grey and British RAF ocean grey done in flat colours. Go to Klasskote.com and see what you think. Other than that; not sure.

March 14th.... Spinners , pilot and landing gear legs showed up today so got my hands full and not enough hours in a day; especially when it is not really a bolt in thing. Have to make center bushings for the spinners, shorten the pilot ( he looks good though) changing mounting for retracts as the oleo gear are a little longer than I would have liked but nice stuff.... and light.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 AM
stegl

Well .. machined up the spinner backplate adapters to fit the 2 blade Hanger 9 P51 spinners for the 8mm motor shaft adapters. fit nice and snug. The electric retracts had to be moved foreward on the ply mounts about 1/2 inch for the tires to clear the back. have good ground clearance for the 13 inch props By messing arround with the retracts ;one of the wires to the drive motors broke as others have had problems. Took a look at the wires under a magnifying glass and not happy with the type of wire. Not fine enough and too light for any type of vibration . I have some 20 or 22 gauge fine strand servo wire so may resolder a short length of wire to the motors and splice that into the control circuit board wires. Others have had the same problems. The wires need to be heavier ie larger gauge and finer strands for more flexability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.