Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

DeHavilland Mosquito

Old 06-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Eric.Henderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DeHavilland Mosquito

Moved the engines back and got a much better spinner fit. Attacking the UC problem next.

Eric.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33449.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	283541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79584.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	283542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47640.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	283543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95518.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	283544  
Old 06-13-2005, 07:50 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The Maiden flight is complete. It was a perfect day yesterday with a light breeze coming straight down the runway, so I decided to take the new Mosquito up for the first time. I peformed some calculations to see what the proper CG should be, since there is much talk that the instructions are not correct. I come up with 25-30% being 103 to 119mm at the ROOT (not outside the engine nacelle as the plans show). I decided to go with 116mm, which should be about 29% of the MAC. I used a brass brick that weighs about 1.2 lbs in the nose to get it right. I also mixed in some throttle differential with the rudder and tied it to a switch. I used 11X6 master airscrew props and was getting about 13K RPM on the ground. I got both the engines running good and matched the RPM using the throttle end points to drop the strong engine down to match the weaker one. (only 200 RPM difference).

The first flight I decided to not use the differential throttles and see how it handled. I was able to easily track it straight down the runway for a perfect take off. Some down trim was required to get it flying level. I noticed little trim difference between gear up and gear down. after a little running around I took it up high and tested the flaps. With full flaps the plane seemed to slow down well, and actually gave a little warning before stalling. The first time I came in for a landing, I was a little hot so I went around again. The plane is heavy and slippery and needs to be given some time to slow down. The next attempt was better, and it came in for a perfect landing. I flew the plane three more times, and every flight was great! I even had my friend take his spitfire up on the last two flights and we did some formation flying with side by side high speed passes right down the runway. I am very happy with the way the plane flies, and like the CG exactly where it is. This is my first twin, so I was a bit aprehesive about the maiden flight. I couldn't be happier with the planes performance, and thought the plane was very easy to fly and land. I'm really glad I took the advice found on this thread and checked the CG. Here's a couple of photos of the plane at the field on a great day.

Name:	Mk24839.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	284263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30352.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	284264  
Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 AM
lozza1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great news hot rod todd, looks good in the photos, when you took off was it a rolllinig start from engines idle or did you have someone hold the tail till both engines were on full bore and then let go,also your 116mm cg where exactly was that measured from ?
mine should be ready this week, looking well forward to it after the major cock up with number 1 mossie, shell be using a nice long runway this time rather than a short grass strip

lozza
Old 06-13-2005, 08:21 AM
lozza1965

also where did you hide your on off switch
Old 06-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I took off slowly, building up speed while keeping the plane centered on the runway. Some up elevator is used at first to keep the tail down, then slowly eased up as speed is attained and the rudder takes over. The 116mm is measured at the root of the wing, next to the fuse. I have a 2000mah Nmh battery, along with over a pound of brass up in the nose. I put the power switch underneath the center of the fuse, up front. I'd offset it a bit from center, then you won't have to cut into the thick seam that runs down the middle. It will still be hidden from view.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 AM
lozza1965

cheers chap

same place as i installed on mossie No1 with air inlet supply on other side of the centre seam line

thanks once again

lozza
Old 06-13-2005, 04:13 PM
DragonLines
My Feedback: (13)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear your fist flight went well. I am going to check my cg at your point and see were it is. I would really hate to add that much lead to this plane. Maybe an on board glow driver will add weight and be of some use. I'll see what else I can move forward. I have very little nose lead now, but I have 53 four strokes, three bladed APC props 12x6 and Tru Turn aluminum spinners which add some weight. I have a few twins and felt this one would fly well once the cg is correct. Did your flaps not cause a flair or do you have some elevator mixed in?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:25 AM
Alistair

Can anyone tell me what size pilots they used ?

thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Dragonlines, there is no doubt you will have to add some weight. I too was not happy about adding dead weight, but I'm glad I did. The plane flys great even with the extra weight. I have a long smooth surface runway though. That helps a lot when landing. I would not recommend flying the plane with the CG shown in the instructions, it is wrong. The flaps worked great. Of course if you employ them at speed the plane will rise, but they work great for landing. I have no elevator mixed in, and don't think I need any. I fly a lot of 3D planes though, and have no problem using down elevator when landing. I can't say I remember needing much though. I thought it handled great as it was. I used full flaps, which I believe is about 20 degrees in my case. I really didn't even have to keep the throttles too high, since the plane needs time to slow down. Alistar, I used Hanger 9 1/9th scale pilots, and they seem to fit well and look to be the proper scale. Here's a couple more photos.

Name:	Xv64519.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	284786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77049.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	284787  
Old 06-14-2005, 09:50 AM
lozza1965

hot rod good to see some one else that has cut out and installed the front windows, makes allot of difference and if you make up the radiators then it really looks the part, shell be doing this to my mossie same as the first one, see post #120

lozza
Old 06-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Alistair

Many thanks for the info
Old 06-14-2005, 03:55 PM
DragonLines

My plane was a handful when it first took off. All because of they balance. I fly off a very long very short cut grass runway. It presents no problems. I didn't get to work with the flaps because of the cg and didn't want to get too wild. If I have to add that much weight I may repower with a couple of Saito .72's. Seems a bit much for this plane though. The .52's flew it with real authority and very fast. It did land at a pretty good pace which the flaps should help. I'll let you know if I ever get back home to flew it again.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:26 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I would recommend you balance the plane at 116mm from the leading edge at the root. I think you'll be much happier with the performance. If I was going to put four strokes in mine, I'd skip right bye the .72's and put a couple of .82's in it. It's not like they would cause a balance problem, but they may be a tough fit with the stock cowls. I don't even have mine propped for speed, but it is fast with the two 46AX's. The twin two strokes screaming bye at over 14K is a great sound to behold.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:29 PM
DragonLines

Hot Rod Todd,
I finally made it home. I rebalanced the plane at 116mm at the fusalage sides. It required about the same amount of lead as yours did. I put 13.5 oz on the nose, two 1 oz wieghts in the spinners, should help the idle too. .52 Magnums with 12x6 three blade props with Tru Turn aluminum spinners with lite back plates. I had origanally planned on RCV .60's but they were way too long and I had already ordered the cut out back plates for air circulation. The extra weight would come in handy now. I will try and fly it again tomorrow morning. I think it will be alright..............................
Old 06-29-2005, 08:36 PM
DragonLines

Forgot to mention, I put it on the scale, 13 lbs 7 ozs
Old 06-30-2005, 06:43 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I think you'll be surprised at how well it flies now that you re-balanced it. I use full flaps when I come in to land, and it works great. I had to go to Tru-turn spinners, because the plastic ones I had on did not spin true, and one of them cracked. My latest addition is a small video camera in the nose. I should get it mounted up tonight, and I'll try to post some pics tommorow. I guess once I have the camera installed, my plane is now the photo recon version?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:33 PM
DragonLines

All packed up and ready to go to the field and the phone rings... I guess it will be next week now before I get to try it out. I never have liked plastic spinners. I always use an eletric starter and plastic does not hold up well. Tru Turn are more expensive but always look good and spin true. I have been thinking on those same lines with the camera. My boy bought a cheapo off Ebay but it didn't work very well, or hardly at all if it was moving. I have a VQ Models A-26 that I want to rig a couple of video cameras in. Saw one the other day that allowed you to switch from one to the other while in flight. Put one in the nose and one in the cockpit. It would really be nice to have one with sound. Anyway I will let you know how it goes when I return.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Here are a couple of photos of the video camera in the nose of the Mosquito. I hope to get some flights in this weekend to see how it works. It's a color camera with audio, 2.4 Ghz.

Name:	Lj23342.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	292372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16523.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	292373  
Old 07-01-2005, 07:16 PM
DragonLines

Looks good. Right now that area is full of lead on mine. After I am happy with it's flying I'll make it look nicer and see about the camera. Where did you get that one?
Old 07-03-2005, 09:24 PM
plane_freek

Those planes look awesome, good work on them!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:12 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So I guess you all are a big fans of Squadron 633!
Old 07-09-2005, 09:17 AM
DragonLines

Hot Rod Todd,
Finally got to go the field. The plane flew like it was on rails....for the first flight. Because of the added wieght on the nose it wanted to nose over when you thorttled up. I need to install larger tires to overcome this. BUT I was at the field and wanted to fly it again, so after several attemps to get it moving I leaned over to give it a litle push as I opened it up, holding full up to keep it planted on the tail wheel it tried to leap into the air before it was fast enough, as I am trying to overcome this problem I see a wheel fall off, hmm, just checked that, well I get it under control it is flying fine and I am thinking how I am going to get this back on the ground without a wheel. I fly by low and close when I notice the engines don't sound right, sure enough I see the right prop come to a stop. Now I have one engine and one wheel. It handled surprisingly well on one engine. Luckily for me I was heading left to right and needed to turn left into the good engine to line up with the runway. Got it almost there when I stalled it about 6 feet over the runway. It smacked the ground preety hard and I figured it was a goner, but it took very little damage. The belly pan needs a little reinforcement and thats it. The wheel? well as it happened the plane came to a stop one foot from the lost wheel, it was the whole wire strut came out of the retract. I have some better units I am going to put in this time. Let you know how it goes next time. Can't say it wasn't fun
Old 07-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I have a smooth surface runway, so I don't have much trouble with nose overs. I put a camera in the nose the other day, and between the camera and the battery it added some nose weight. The plane then tended to nose over much easier. I have taken the camera and battery out, and will see if it goes back to the good ground handling I experienced the first couple of flights. There is a fine line between too much nose weight (nose overs) and not enough (tail heavy). Your problem may be due partly to small wheels and a grass field.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:04 PM
DragonLines

Oh there is no doubt about why it was nosing over. The wheels were too small and the grass could have been mowed. I was very impressed at how much better it flew with the weight. I'll make the minor repairs and change the retracts out. I picked up some World Models retracts and they have a spring to hepl lift the wheel up. Very stiff units, I believe it will help the ground handling. Will let you know. Hope to have it done by Sunday.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:09 AM
gavin m

Hi All

I'm after either a scale drawing or a source on the web of mosquito spinners, so I can have correctly shaped aluminum spinners made. I am using 2 rcv58 engines probably side mounted to allow easy needle screw access. These engines are heavier than normal four strokes, hopefully reducing amount of nose lead. Is the concensus that a c of g of 116mm from leading edge at wing root is best. I have adopted a similar undercarriage to lozzas, will post pictures when available

Thanks in advance

Gavin Mack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.