Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

dualest 2/60

Old 12-06-2004, 07:19 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: dualest 2/60

Doug:

Plate glass might work, but it would need a mold release on it. The great thing with ferrotype is the absolutely smooth surface on a flexible plate. Once the resin sets, give the plate a twist and the fiberglass pops off. Be a little hard to twist the plate glass the same way, but with the release wax it should still work even though it might not be as smooth/shiny as that done on the ferrotype.

Now you have me thinking further; if the ferrotype were bent in the middle to form a tight radius for the leading edge...

Bill.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:28 PM
William Robison

Rich:

If you are curious, kit serial number 14 was sold to Crashnfix, AKA John Musselman. Now yours. GSNut, AKA Doug in Denver, got kits #11 and #12. Kit #13 the one between you two, went to Belgium. Salmonbug got that one.

Bill.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:47 PM
kram-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this smoke and thunder, but not a single 2/60 has taken flight yet?!

I personally never cared for the glide-slope characteristics of my 2/46 Duellist. In fact, I'd give it away to make room in my shop. No, not including the counter-rotating .46's !!

mt
Old 12-06-2004, 07:49 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Doug:

Plate glass might work, but it would need a mold release on it. The great thing with ferrotype is the absolutely smooth surface on a flexible plate. Once the resin sets, give the plate a twist and the fiberglass pops off. Be a little hard to twist the plate glass the same way, but with the release wax it should still work even though it might not be as smooth/shiny as that done on the ferrotype.

Now you have me thinking further; if the ferrotype were bent in the middle to form a tight radius for the leading edge...

Bill.
I don't or am not familar with ferrotype but as the epoxyglass will pop off of certain forms of plastic I'm sure that it would stick to glass sometimes to the point of destroying it self on removal. So Plate glass is out and if you can bend the ferrotype it maybe the way to go.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:54 PM
GSNut

ORIGINAL: kram-RCU

I personally never cared for the glide-slope characteristics of my 2/46 Duellist. In fact, I'd give it away to make room in my shop. No, not including the counter-rotating .46's !!

mt
Are you naugh...but

Send it here:

Doug Hathaway
10201 Riverdale Rd.
Thornton, Colo
Unless your kiddin!!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:18 PM
William Robison

Just got off the phone with Ernest Fleming, his buddy Lonnie has the plane ready to fly, but STILL hasn'r flown it. So far as I know Lonnie's is the first completion, but if he keeps going as he is it might be the last to fly.

Bill.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 PM
rpat

Hey guys ...putting that stuff on open frame wings might take you about a month to get the panel covered.....another thing .007 is not very thick at all. How can something that thin hold up with nothing to back it up. I can see it on foam wings where the entire surface is supported but open bay I just don't know about that.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:26 PM
GSNut

ORIGINAL: rpat

Hey guys ...putting that stuff on open frame wings might take you about a month to get the panel covered.....another thing .007 is not very thick at all. How can something that thin hold up with nothing to back it up. I can see it on foam wings where the entire surface is supported but open bay I just don't know about that.

They have other thicknesses available also, the .007 is the lite flexible stuff or so they say.

I thought probably .012 and use surface stringers notched into the wingribs...say like maybe 1/8th X 3/16th spruce using about 4 per top and 4 per bottom panel totaling 16 stringers per the whole wing. Would also get rid of the starved horse look when the balsa sheeting was over sanded and has dried out.

Don'no though its very high cost.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:32 PM
rpat

GS,
I think that you would end up just as heavy as if you went and sheeted and glassed any way. Mabey not quite as heave but heavy non the less.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:04 PM
GSNut

ORIGINAL: rpat

GS,
I think that you would end up just as heavy as if you went and sheeted and glassed any way. Mabey not quite as heave but heavy non the less.
That's why I'm waiting to hear from them on the weight per panel.., If they don't reply then I don't buy and will just do it the regular way and put 6/10 oz. fiberglass and epoxy, with filler and paint on top. Guess its a toss up on weight either way.

More power, More Weight, Stronger Airframe, More Weight and etc..just a big bad circle.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:53 PM
DamonTX

This company is showing they still have 2/40s. I e-mailed them to make sure before I went throught the trouble.

[link]https://www.quicktechhobby.com/Airplane/airplanes/QTH%20-%20GIANTSCALE%20KITS.htm[/link]

They are also showing a cockpit kit, spinner and pneumatic retracts for the Duelist.

If this doesn't pan out, does someone have a set of plans they would sell?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:05 AM
William Robison

Damon:

That price of $190 is the plane Quantum sold for $140, including shipping.

Bill.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:14 AM
DamonTX

QuickTech's price did seem higher on everything. They even showed the Duelist as being on sale! Quantum nolonger shows them on their site. However, if it's the last one on the planet then I'd pay the $189. Given the interest in this plane, I doubt someone would sell me one cheaper.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:19 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: GSNut

ORIGINAL: kram-RCU

mt
Are you naugh...but

Send it here:

Doug Hathaway
10201 Riverdale Rd.
Thornton, Colo
Unless your kiddin!!

Doug:

No, I'm not kidding, but I said I'd give it away, not pack it and ship it.

It's well-built, glassed, overweight (11 lbs), camoflage green and brown, has all the pushrods & tanks, no radio or engines.

Only defect is a collapsed nose gear. Flies like a missile, rolls on a string, lands like a large flat rock.

I do RTR or similar bike ride in CO every year. Stay in touch, if you want it, and maybe I'll load it on the trailer next summer.

mt
Old 12-07-2004, 09:10 AM
GSNut

[/quote]

Doug:

I do RTR or similar bike ride in CO every year. Stay in touch, if you want it, and maybe I'll load it on the trailer next summer.

mt
[/quote]

Hey, I can handle that..an glad to know you Ride !!

To see my aircraft transport and a couple of rides of mine as shown here on the Universe..
it's the last entry on that Page:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfi...60/Mk27179.jpg

Gotta sell at least two maybe all three of the V4 1100s, to many bikes and not enough time to ride/fly em all. That would still leave me the GWing. More money to buy planes and radios too.

I drive the Transporter all the time as the insurance is cheaper than a car or pickup truck. Can haul three Giant Scale Aircraft assembled and still not pay a motel bill at the flyins.

My other job is rebuilding V4 Carbs for Sabre's and Magna's at home.

So Ride Safe Kram!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
GSNut

Bill and All...

I got an Email from Jose at flite skins...here is part that pertains to the weight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hi Doug,

Thank you for your interest in Fliteskin. Following are the weight per 36inX48in sheet (1728 sq. inch):

.007 .84 lbs.
.010 1.25 lbs
.012 1.5 lbs.
.015 1.9 lbs.
.020 2.5 lbs.

I use . 010 for most of the building since it is the best combination of strengh, weight and flexibility "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
end of his email

Hummm, so looks like the .010 would weigh in for the 260 wing at about 2.5 lbs not including
the Elmers ProBond.. to include the wood parts am thinking around about 4 lbs. or am I out of line there.

Heck my 68 in. Dirty Bridi/Koas wings with wheels, Money Kote and just fibre glassed center section only weighs 2.25 lbs.

Idonkno..you tell me. Think I'll have em send me a few samples as he suggested he would.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:59 PM
William Robison

Doug:

They said nothing about minimum radius?

Bill.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:38 PM
GSNut

Doug:

Bill.
Not a word...so, I ask for some samples of the .007 and the .010
Guess we/I will have to wait for them to get here to see. Though he did give me his phone nr. so I could call, which I will do tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:09 AM
GSNut

ORIGINAL: GSNut

Doug:

Bill.
Not a word...so, I ask for some samples of the .007 and the .010
Guess we/I will have to wait for them to get here to see. Though he did give me his phone nr. so I could call, which I will do tomorrow.

Bill & All ...

Just got this back from Jose at flite skin....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doug,

I'll send some samples of the stuff tomorow Wed. Check my post http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=1345&PN=1 about skinning a 100" twin engine fighter with .010 fliteskin. Í will be using aluminum tape for the leading edge in this case.
The .007 fliteskin should go around the leading edge easily unless is very sharp. YOu can overlap slightly to have a stronger bond. What is the wingspan on the SUper Duellist?

Jose

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 100" twin he is talking about is a DH Mosquito and has 5 pages on rcscalebuilder forum on it so far.

Nice Project !!
Old 12-10-2004, 08:18 PM
GSNut

Just got off the phone with Ernest Fleming, his buddy Lonnie has the plane ready to fly, but STILL hasn'r flown it. So far as I know Lonnie's is the first completion, but if he keeps going as he is it might be the last to fly.

Bill.

Bill !

By any chance did E.F. mention what Lonnies 260 weighed out dry...??

I put off starting the S.D. till this afternoon as I opted for spruce spars both main and secondarys. These with proper doublers to just past the outboard side of the nacells should hold the Super Tigre .90s under some kind of control..of course there will be webbing to.

So the sub assembly begins...

Picked up the carbon fibre motor mounts and eyeballed the Spring Air Retracts he has on hand.
The tri gear H. Duty 3/16" he would get in a.s.a.p. when I say.. It's nice to have a Hobby Dealer that will get em in and let ya look. If not right then will send em back with no hard feelings. So when ya can support the local guy too!! Seem to me that the Spring Air air tank was way to small from what I looked at. So will use the Robart Large.

Maybe I'm just used to Giant Size stuff...??
Old 12-10-2004, 08:57 PM
William Robison

Doug:

I've thought about the spruce spars, I really don't think they are needed. Especially if shear webs are installed. My opinion, of course.

When I was out in Virginia Beach I had a very good LHS, Debbie's R/C World. I even had them get mail order things for me. Little more cost, but I thought keeping them alive was worth it. My LHS here is a 100 mile trip, so except for fuel it's usually mail order.

I've never thought about asking EHF what Lonnie Fuller's SD weighs, but I think 15 pounds is not impossible. At the same time, it should still fly well at 18 pounds. I've had a 2/40 do very well at 15 pounds AUW, that seems to mean the outside weight of the 2/60 will be around 20-22 pounds.

Bill.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:08 PM
William Robison

All:

An error was discovered in the material selection for the Super Duellist 2/60 Mk II kits:

The firewalls were specified as aircraft ply, the kit cutter substituted light ply for them. Please scrap the supplied firewalls and use proper plywood.

Also, one builder has said his nacelle doublers are slightly wrong in length from the wing LE to the firewall, two of them are about 1/16 shorter than the other two.

Same builder says there is some distortion in the wing drawing, one side is shown 3/8" longer than the other. Probably wont make any difference, correct at your option. I'll blame Kinko's enlargement for this.

Bill.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:15 PM
GSNut

Your probably right on the doublers as I would have to cut into the ribs rather deeply so will just use the spruce and webbing.

15 lbs is lite for the 260 but won't be unhappy with 17/18 if need be.

Heee, I normally build heavy enough to knock down brick walls anyway. Though my 68" Super Dirty Birdy only weighs in at a trim 7.7 lbs dry an the S.T. .90 hauls the freight very well there.

O.K. back to building.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:23 PM
GSNut

All:

An error was discovered in the material selection for the Super Duellist 2/60 Mk II kits:

The firewalls were specified as aircraft ply, the kit cutter substituted light ply for them. Please scrap the supplied firewalls and use proper plywood.

Also, one builder has said his nacelle doublers are slightly wrong in length from the wing LE to the firewall, two of them are about 1/16 shorter than the other two.

Same builder says there is some distortion in the wing drawing, one side is shown 3/8" longer than the other. Probably wont make any difference, correct at your option. I'll blame Kinko's enlargement for this.

Bill.
Thanks for the Heads Up !

I did note the distortion on the plans..awh heck just put the short side of the nacelle to the outside and you got out thrust, No Problem there, but will cut new firewalls of 1/4" AC Ply.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:51 PM
DamonTX

Does anyone have any pictures of the 2/40 or 2/60. I've looked in the galleries and found a few (had do 4 searches with 4 different spellings "dualist, duallist, duelist, duellist). I'm interested in seeing all the different setups people have used. Also noting the differences in the nose, nacelles, tail, engine position and flaps. A "bare bones" picture would be great too.

For those who've built them, could you tell use a little about your radio setups? I'd like to plan out a 2/60 so I'm interested in number/types of servos. Did you use bellcranks in the wings? What type of battery(s) did you use? Tell me about the throttle setup. This would really help those of us who're building one for the first time. (Hopefully a bunch of us will be building them when Northeast Aerodynamics get their next lot of kits produced)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.