Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

dualest 2/60

Old 11-18-2004, 09:51 PM
rpat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dualest 2/60

OK guys I tried to keep up with the dualest threads, but it has been awhile since I checked. Did the project come to be? If it is are there any kits left? I always wanted to build a dualist. Any input would be appreciated>
Rich
Old 11-18-2004, 10:16 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: dualest 2/60

Rich:

We finished the project, and sold 50 kits. The 51st (or the first, as it were) went to Dave Platt.

John Marien, Northeast Aerodynamics, ( www.ne-aero.com ) now has the design, it will be sold as the Duel-Air 2/60.

Pica seems to have ceased operations, so unless you can find someone willing to part with a Duellist 2/40 kit you will have to build the Mk II from plans, or wait for John and get the 60 size version.

Go to the NeAero web site, send John an email telling him to get busy and release the kit.

While you're waiting you can get his Twin-Air 45 for an excellent first twin.

Bill.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:15 PM
rpat

Thanks for the input Bill, I hve had the plans for the Mk11 for years, but I can't get myself to do all of the leg work on cutting out all of the parts> I am going to go to the site that you put me on and see if he is going to put together some kits any itme soon.
By the way do you know of any twin kits that are on the market.? They do not seem to make many kits in the twin configuration any more.
Thanks for your input.
Rich
Old 11-18-2004, 11:40 PM
William Robison

Rich:

You can always have a laser cutter whack the Duellist 2/40 Mk II parts out for you, and John Marien does custom cutting too. Maybe if we sweet talk him he'll produce the 2/40 Mk II as well as the 2/60, since Pica looks to be belly up.

You are right about twin kits. There are more war bird twin ARFs available than kits. If you want small planes, Dare Designs has quite a few available, all Pat Trittle designs, I think.

http://www.darehobby.com/

Morris Hobbies (don't have the URL) has what they call the "Twin Trainer," Twinman likes it, I think it's crap. A profile design, I don't like profiles.

Northeast Aerodynamics has two sizes of the Dual-Air kit, a 25 and a 40-46 size, as well as the coming Dual-Air 2/60.

http://www.ne-aero,com

There is also a Dual-Air 2/15, if I ever get myself in gear and finish the fuselage design. The wing and nacelles are done. I'm having a hard time getting the strength without too much weight. Latest version is semi-monococque, a stressed skin design, it's looking good.

Bill.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:18 PM
rpat

Bill,
That twin air 45 by ne aero looks pretty good. Do you know of anyone that has this model,and how does it fly?
Rich
Old 11-19-2004, 10:30 PM
William Robison

Rich:

There are several Twin-Air fliers around, and several threads about them. Just two of whom I'm sure you've heard are Ed Moorman, he's posted about his, and me.

The T-A is an easy build, and an excellent flier, no nasties with one dead engine. I really like the Duellist just a little better, I think it's a nicer looking plane but the Duellist is a lot harder build.

And the Twin-Air can be had. Pica's dead, so a Duellist at this moment has to be a plan build.

Bill.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:42 PM
rpat

Yea Bill tht is what I am figuring also. The dualist is a fast fading project unless I really get enthuastic about it . I have been in this hobby for twent five years and I really am burnt out on building. I have told my self that the only building that I would ever do again is a Ultmate that I have stored and the Dualist. Well it looks as if at least one of the projects is a no build. I will probably get a twin air and be happy with it even though I still like the Dualist design the best>
Rich
Old 11-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Rich,

The Twin-Air is a great sport throw-around. Easy to fly, easy to land and very maneuverable. There are two video clips of my Twin-Air on my club's website: [link=http://www.flytrca.org/filmclips.html]TRCA video clip page[/link]

I finally got to see a hot Deullist fly a couple of months ago and it was much faster than my T-A. I am very interested in the Deullist 2/60 but I figure it still may be a long while before the kit is released.

By the way, has anyone successfully flown a 2/60 yet?

Walt
Old 11-19-2004, 11:04 PM
William Robison

Walt:

EHFleming's buddy Lonnie has finished his, in fact it was done a couple months ago. Still haven't heard about a flight on it, been one excuse after another on why not yet flown.

The Duellist 2/40 with a pair of sport 46 engines and no retracts will fly around 110-120 mph in level flight, with retracts and hot engines 140-150 is not unrealistic. And yet it is a gentle flier at low speeds also. Without flaps.

The Twin-Air doesn't have the speed of the Duellist, but it is an easier plane to fly. And to build.

Bill.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:09 PM
rpat

Yea Walt it looks like it is going to be a the twin air.
Rich
Old 11-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Rich,

Unless you want to fly at 100+ MPH you will be very happy with the Twin-Air.

A local hot-shot pilot flew his Duellist at our fall fly-in. With twin 46's and retracts it was very fast and he put on a great show with it. At one point he went into a high speed "wall" maneuver, then gunned the throttle at the top of the climb and did the fastest pinwheel flat spin that I've ever seen. I'm thinking "how in the world is he doing that?" and evidently so was he, before he recognized that he had lost a motor. Being the hotshot he is he just chopped the throttle back and put the nose straight down, pulled out of the dive a couple of feet off the ground, gave the remaining motor some throttle and then flew around the field and landed. No problem- for him.

I will definitely need a bunch more stick time with my T-A before trying something like that

Walt
Old 11-20-2004, 07:05 PM
rpat

Hey guys,
In one of these threads, I think it was in one of bills , you metion that I could get someone to laser cut the duelist out for me. Do any one of you know of someone that will do this? Also Dose any one have the price ot the twin air? I did not see a price on the web site.
Rich
Old 11-20-2004, 07:15 PM
William Robison

Rich:

John Marien, at Northeast Aerodynamics, does custom cutting as well as making the Twin-Air kits for a buck and a half, plus shipping.

Web site:
http://www.ne-aero.com

email:
jmarien@ne-aero,com

Bill.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:32 AM
rpat

Thanks Bill I am goin to check this out.
Rich
Old 11-28-2004, 06:46 PM
softail99
My Feedback: (33)

Did I hear that someone was trying to find a Duelist 2/40? I may be able to locate one for you. Let me know and I'll ck it out.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody built the 2/60 yet? I plan on starting mine after the Thunderbolt which should be done around April or so. Was wondering if the balance point transfered to the 2/60 and if there were any flight anomolies. Will be running a couple of saito 120's in it, cause thats what I have.
Edwin
2/60 number Lucky "7"
Old 11-30-2004, 05:38 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could always bash one into a twin. I bashed a Kaos into a twin last winter. Still have my 2/60 in the box. Will do something with it Someday! No hurry on that one. It won't ever drop in value! Good kit.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:35 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's time to get serious bout the 260 thats resting under the bed in storage...

It's taken a full year to finish the Scratch 1.35 Pitts S2a but am well proud of her.. Folks say "That if ya love it, You'll Crash it.." So will save it for a bit and fly it later on. Its winter time in Colorado anyway.

Have the two Super Tigre .90 S models tuned and broken in..an running well...14 X 10 s on the respective pattern ships. flat cruse is 78 mph ( with about 60 % throttle ) on the super koas the Super dirty birdy does just the same. Three or Four bladed props will help the ground clearence, but just a little. Then will load both engines on the upside slope of the power curve for reliability.

I have emailed Flite Skin for the weights of their Epoxy Glass panels for the wing skinning process (Did that this morning) but am wondering if anyone has had experience with it and them. It seems expensive but considering that no balsa is necessary under it it may be lighter than a balsa, fiberglass cloth and epoxy plus primer and paint.. even maybe a candidate for a Flite Metal job...don't know for sure yet.

The panels come in three thicknesses and 36 X 48 in panels...
Anybody used these yet ??

You can see at:

www.fliteskin.com

Idonkno..
Old 12-06-2004, 04:06 PM
William Robison

Doug:

Very interesting. Do you know how small a radius it will accept?

For All:

John Marien has a new email address, said he was getting 30+ spams per hour at the old one. Now can be reached at John _AT_ne-aero.com. If that looks strange, it's supposed to. To use it replace the "_A_" with the commercial "At" sign, then it works. Please don't write it in a post in the proper form, John thinks some web-bots are getting his address and causing the spam. Use it, put it in your address folder in the proper form, but please don't post it unless you do it as I have done it here. Thanks.

Bill.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:30 PM
GSNut

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Doug:

Very interesting. Do you know how small a radius it will accept?

Bill.
[8D]

Oh...My you caught me reading the SD Manual...darn (real men don't read instructions, Do They ??)

All I know is what is on their web page as I haven't gotten a reply to my email..

Though they say that " .007 thickness can be applied there " but no specifics as to bending radius is mentioned.. I may have to give em a call to get any reaction. Normally I don't purchase anything if the people don't reply when quieried.

Check out their FAQ #3 as it showes some applications using it on an open frame scale wing.

More Later when they let me know.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
William Robison

Doug:

Looked at all of the FAQs, that picture of the open frame is what really intrigues me. I didn't see anything about minimum radius either, beyond saying the 0.007" would do a leading edge. But a leading edge on a 35% plane is going to be a fair amount larger radius than the 2/60.

Didn't think I should ask the same questions you were most likely going to make. They do show a wooden LE on the open fram examples.

Bill.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:04 PM
GSNut

Doug:

Looked at all of the FAQs, that picture of the open frame is what really intrigues me. I didn't see anything about minimum radius either, beyond saying the 0.007" would do a leading edge. But a leading edge on a 35% plane is going to be a fair amount larger radius than the 2/60.

Didn't think I should ask the same questions you were most likely going to make. They do show a wooden LE on the open fram examples.

Bill.
Bill

Exactly...the only other option that I can come up with is a epoxyglass overlay cap of probably 2 to 3x layers over the glass panels once sheeted. Similar to home build composite practices.

Still no return email from them and no phone nr. Somebody want to ask for samples for evaluation here on the Universe..??
Maybe they aren't leggit..??
Old 12-06-2004, 06:20 PM
William Robison

Doug:

I'll bet I could get a large ferrotype plate, some 0.7 ounce fiberglass, a supply of epoxy resin and a roller, then make my own for a lot less than their $43+ price. And if we made our own we could leave a strip of the cloth dry in the middle, this would curve over the leading edge to get its resin after attaching the rest.

Comment?

Bill.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:25 PM
rpat

Bill,
Well I went and did it, I found someone that sold me a 2/60. I got it from a fella named John Musselmen. The funny part of this is that the name that you gave me to contact at that place that sold the twin air had a different name, but any how that is who I bought it from.
Rich
Old 12-06-2004, 06:36 PM
GSNut

Doug:

I'll bet I could get a large ferrotype plate, some 0.7 ounce fiberglass, a supply of epoxy resin and a roller, then make my own for a lot less than their $43+ price. And if we made our own we could leave a strip of the cloth dry in the middle, this would curve over the leading edge to get its resin after attaching the rest.

Comment?

Bill.

I like that...
That sounds like the best idea yet.. WOW Custom Wing Skins for the 260...!!!!

Wish I had the space available here but a mobile home is the very example of spartan living.
I could do next spring when the weather warms up. I would be in with some dollars if somebody in the Clan can do it !

Am wondering if some Discarded Plate Glass windows might work...????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.