Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

CMP Transall C-160 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

CMP Transall C-160 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 01:18 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CMP Transall C-160 ARF

anyone build or fly one of these?thinking of getting one.thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 09:58 PM
jmupilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP Transall C-160 ARF

There are 2 of these in my club. I have one, and rryman who posts a lot of info in the twin's catagory has the other one. It's got to be one of the easiest twins going. Its not difficult to assemble, or fly. both of us are using OS LA 25's for power. We fly from a grass strip and the LA's provide more than enough power. Mine flys great at about half throttle, full throttle is way to fast to look scale. While I havent had a engine out yet I did put in a gyro to help compinsate the yaw that will occur. I have seen video's here on RC Universe that show a pilot looping and rolling one. I have rolled mine and it does a pretty good roll for a transport aircraft. Do a search for C130 Transall and you will get a lot of feedback. Let me know if you do buy one, there are a few things that rryman showed me and will save alot of problems. I have a few pictures posted somewhere on RC Universe of randy's and my transall's, maybe in my gallery.

Pete
Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 AM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

pete,
thanks for the info and yes i did buy a grey one to be delivered in a week or so.what hints do you have.i will be using 2 fox 25's as i like the twin needle carbs and after breakin they are reliable and idle with out loading up.i use them in my b-24.should fly a bit slower than yours but since you fly at half throttle i may need to fly at 3/4 for cruising.i am flying off grass also.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:46 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Here's some pics that will get you ready to go fly one. Everything Pete said about the plane is correct. It's a great flying twin. It's so darn light that in much wind, it tends to bounce around a little. You'll love the take offs and landings, they look absolutely scale. After you start the take off roll, you can add some elevator and pull the nose up, it will continue to roll until it reaches flying speed, then it will fly itself right off the ground.
As far as tips, Pete probably has some too. I found the nose gear arrangement a little "cheesy" for my tastes, so I made my own. The double axle stripped out and wouldn't tighten to the main vertical axle. I didn't consider it a big deal, and I like the one I made better.
Where the cowlings attach to the wing, I took short pieces of the yellow ny'rod and drilled the wing where the screws went in and embedded these pieces in the wing with polyurethane glue. This gives a solid mount for the screws to go into. The screws they supply are very small. Put them in a baggie when you get them so as not to lose them.
There are several of those small screws tha attach the cowling/nacelle halves together. I laminated either 1/32 or 1/64 ply strips inside the nacelles to stiffen the fiberglass and give something for the screws to bite into. Other than that, I didn't do much, other than add the USAF decals.
And be prepared to dump the grass out of the fuse at the end of each flying session. With the eight mains, this thing works better than a Sears lawn sweeper. they pick up grass clippings and deposit them in the rear of the fuse. I suppose if you were flying off wet freshly mowed grass, it could affect the CG of the plane. I have rolled mine also, but somehow it just don't look right.
One other thing I did, I increased the size of the wing hold down bolts, and changed them to nylon. I think the kit comes with metric metal screws and blind nuts.
Happy flying,
Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12436.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	212063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50026.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	212064  
Old 01-09-2005, 10:36 PM
EFisch
My Feedback: (1)

It is good to hear that you guys like this plane. I purchased the camo version and I am going to convert it to electric. It is very light so it should be easy to convert. I will be using the following:

2 AXI 2820/10's with 11x7 or 12x6(If it fits) eprops
2 e-flite 40 amp ESC
2 irate 3 cell 3100 mah lipo's (37 to 45 amp)
4 hitec 325 servos

Any tips or watch outs would be great.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:48 PM
rryman

Well, I don't know anything about electric motors, or how they compare to glow engines. Based on the props you're using, they apparently have plenty of power. We flew mine today, despite a little gusty conditions. My son even took it for a flight. He's been a little reluctant to fly a twin but I think he's hooked now! Other than what I posted before, I don't really have any tips for it. We were discussing today that .15's would probably be about right for truly scale flight, but with the .25's you can get a lot of air between the ground and the plane pretty quick. Then fly at about half throttle or less for cruising.

Randy
Old 01-16-2005, 01:39 AM
Druce

I have a pair of saito 30's and was thinking of this plane. There arn't that many kits out there for twins of this size..
Old 02-12-2006, 12:33 AM
brentp76
My Feedback: (14)

Is there any reason to spend the extra money on the FX engines as opposed to the la for an OS option. Or is the to .25 la engines more than enough power. I never like to be on the back side of the power curve. do you have a link to that video you talked about.? I would like to see it.. I just picked mine up from www.glowrc.com . I cannot wait to get it up into the air. (need to finish my cmp 1.40 size p47 first!)
Old 02-12-2006, 09:51 AM
rryman

Is there any reason to spend the extra money on the FX engines as opposed to the la for an OS option
=======I am using the LA engines. Right now I hav 6 LA engines, all 0f which run beautiful. No problem with reliability. If I had to do it again and know what I know now, I would probably have gotten the FX as opposed to the LA. I seem to be able to get about 3k rpm more out of the FX as opposed to the LA engine. I wanted to use 3 blade props on my Transall, but it siimply would not taxi in grass with them. I'm running 2 blade MA 9 x 5's now. I feel confident that a few more thousand rpm would have provided the additional power to fly off grass. If you fly off pavement, no problem.
If you do fly off grass, especially fresh mowed grass, check the inside after flying for grass. This thing is like a vacuum cleaner-the wheels put the grass right up into the rear of the fuse. I guess if you flew enough without checking it, it could become tail heavy.
Randy
Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 PM
zxj14

Hello; I need a few parts for a crashed c160, center wing section and the nacels. can any one help.respond to www,[email protected]

thanks joe and any and I mean any condition will do