Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin Otter

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:22 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Otter

I am interested in putting together a Twin Otter; I'm not that talented to do a scratch built, an ARF would be great but I know these are not available; has anyone seen a Kit or Plans for a larger size 80-100 inch wing span model; I looked at the one from RT Models; interested in larger Glow Engine Model; Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:36 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Twin Otter

Never mind, you know about RT's Kit
Don
Old 07-20-2005, 01:51 PM
hattend

ORIGINAL: dasintex

I am interested in putting together a Twin Otter; I'm not that talented to do a scratch built, an ARF would be great but I know these are not available; has anyone seen a Kit or Plans for a larger size 80-100 inch wing span model; I looked at the one from RT Models; interested in larger Glow Engine Model; Thanks.
BTW, forgot about this one. I just sent him an email about when he thinks plans or kits will be available.

You should do the same.

http://www.mraerodesign.com/DHC6/DHC6.html

Don
Old 07-20-2005, 02:03 PM
dasintex

Don; Are you interested in building a Twin Otter as well; BTW thanks for the reply and info; I will Email them to advise me when plans/kits will be available. Doug.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:15 PM
hattend

I have a 15 foot Twin Otter in storage in California. Two 3.2 Gassers. Needs some work to get it flying again. Really needs to go on a "diet". The builder overbuilt it with what seems to be very hard wood. My goal is to strip about 4-5 pounds off of it. When I get home and look on my laptop, I'll post a picture.

I would love to get the "smaller" plane offered at the site above. Easier to carry and maintain.

I'll post his reply if I get one. Let me know if you hear from him as well.

Don
Old 07-20-2005, 03:14 PM
hattend

Here is my big Twin Otter. Currently in storage and not flyable.

Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88439.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	299550  
Old 07-21-2005, 07:33 AM
dasintex

Don; I got a reply from MRAERODESIGN; the Twin Otter won't be available until the summer of 2006; he stated that he was focusing on the Beaver & Turbo Beaver right now, then the Otter.

Doug.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:36 AM
hattend

ORIGINAL: dasintex

Don; I got a reply from MRAERODESIGN; the Twin Otter won't be available until the summer of 2006; he stated that he was focusing on the Beaver & Turbo Beaver right now, then the Otter.

Doug.
Yep, got my reply this morning. Looks like he's about a year behind. Oh well, I'll keep checking his website from time to time.

Later
Don
Old 07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
F86_SABRE

Hi hattend,

That Twin Otter was on Scale R/C Modeler a few years ago. Infact there was a centre-spread photo of that plane.
What are the details of that plane?

Regards

Reuben
Old 07-21-2005, 02:53 PM
hattend

ORIGINAL: F86_SABRE

Hi hattend,

That Twin Otter was on Scale R/C Modeler a few years ago. Infact there was a centre-spread photo of that plane.
What are the details of that plane?

Regards

Reuben
I was wondering if anybody had seen that magazine cover a long time ago. If I remember correctly, a modeler in Sweden built it (hence the Swedish markings).

All I know about it is a fellow club member in Northern California was running out of room in his model storage building and he sold me that plane really cheap. I was (still am) in Alaska and have no room as well so I put it in storage until I am done with this job (2007). It's almost ready to fly, just needs the gas motors mounted, a receiver and battery pack. The builder really built that baby STOUT and I'm going to try to put it on a diet. The wood fairings (laid over 1/8" aluminum) on the landing gear and wing struts are about 3 pounds all by themselves, I'm going to replace the wood with foam and glass. The bulkheads are pretty stout inside and I could probably grind some meat off them as well.

I have no idea how the plane got from Sweden to California. It must have been a bear to ship.

Sorry I don't have any other info. The person I bought it from got it from some other modeler at a swap meet.

Don
Old 07-21-2005, 11:54 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also been beating the bushes a few years for good, large Otter kit.

The one pictured looks like a great size. It would be good to find it's origins. Let us know if you discover more about that.

Unless the wing loading is just ridiculously high, I would advocate flying it as it is. Even a few pounds overweight, such a plane is unlikely to fly "heavy."

mt
Old 07-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Vario-RCU

RT Models is offering a 84" TO in ARC or ARF form Not true scale more but much better than his small version but not a bad looking TO all balsa constructed designed for electric but he has been talking about doing it in both e power and glow. details are on the website
Bruce
Old 08-01-2005, 03:36 PM
WA Flyer

Here are a couple of pics of a 99" DHC-6. This three year scratch building project was finally test flown this past week. The first three flights were done from a large paved runway. I only had about a 50-50 expectation of success so the flights have been done without much of the scale detail. Since the airplane survived, I'll have to paint on the windshields and windows.

Vital statistics of the new baby:

Wingspan - 99"
Wing Area - about 970 sq in
Weight - 18lb 4oz, dry on wheels.
Wing Area - about 43.3 oz/sq ft
Engines - Magnum RFS-.61 x 2
Props - APC 12-6

For the maiden flight, a 15 knot wind was strtaight down the runway. The initial guess at elevator trim was a little on the up elevator side, so when the airplane rotated and flew itself off the runway after rolling only 50 feet or so, I was astounded. And to think I thought it might never get that portly weight off the ground. Anyway it settled into a nice climb, I collected myself, started flying, and all in all was quite happy. On the second flight, the flaperon/flaps were tried and proved usefull. On the third flight a flapdown takeoff went well and we called it a day.

This weekend we took the TO to a Big Bird meet and got in another 9 flights off grass. Got to feel a lot more comfortable with the handling characteristics. Since the four-stroke .61's didn't have any trouble dragging the 18 1/4 lbs out of the grass, floats are next.

This week I'll install the 1/8 (sorta) scale Wipline 13000 floats. The project was intended for floats all along so the real test will come in the next couple of weeks. The weight is going up to about 23 (UGH) pounds and the Wing loading to about 54.6 lb/sq ft. I'll hope for the best and report back.

Paul

Name:	Us53635.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	304356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41539.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	304357  
Old 08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
hattend

Any detailed plans available, Paul? If so, wanna sell a set?

Is the fuselage glass or built up?

Looks good, congrats on the test flights. Post pics of the float tests.

Don
Old 08-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Leo

1/9-scale Twin Otter plans for electrc power:
http://www.geocities.com/ivansplans/
Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM
WA Flyer

Don

Sorry but my plans are little more than sketches and not really suitable for a project.

The fuselage is mixed construction:

Pic 1 - A stick and twig box was built for structural loads.

Pic 2 - The box was covered with pink foam and hot-wired to rough shape.

Pic 3 - The foam was sanded to shape and, here, is ready for filler and glass surface.

All in all, way too much work. If I were doing it over, I'd carve a plug, make a mold, and lay up a fiberglass shell.

The 86 2/3" 1:9 scale plans from Model Builder may still be available.

Name:	Ge95047.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	305160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29239.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	305161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49831.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	305162  
Old 08-03-2005, 06:25 PM
hattend

Cool. Looks like something I might want to look into.

I'll do a search for those Model Builder Plans.

Thanks for the lead

Don
Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Mark Turner
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: hattend

I'll do a search for those Model Builder Plans.

Thanks for the lead

Don

Don

You can see what the Model Builder 86" TO fuse plan sheet looks like @ [link=http://www.rtmodels.com/TEMP002.PDF]MB TO Fuse[/link]

They are ok I guess lots of room to put it on a serious diet. IMHO it would take quite a few changes to be a decent bird.

I have a larger TO started in AutoCAD now but I'm trying to get my small Beaver out and once I get that out I'll start back on the larger TO But I'm in the same boat as Martin it will not be untill next year before a Beta version is avail.

On the one from Ivan in the above posting is is strictly a E-powered version I have been doing them in ARC-ARF for awhile now with Ivan's permission a quick build and pretty decent for E power.

Thanks,
Mark
RT Models
Old 08-04-2005, 02:13 PM
hattend

Hi Mark,

I look at your website at least once a week. I like the TO, the Dash 8, and the CL-415. I have no electric experience so I'm a little reluctant to buy. Are all three convertible to gas engines without too many problems?

If you get that larger TO done for internal combustion engines, I would definitely grab one up.

Don
Old 08-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Mark Turner
My Feedback: (29)

Hi Don

I can hosestly say converting the sm TO to glow really is not not worth it. Yes it can be done but fuel tank size is a pain as the nacells are pretty narrow I've done 3 in ARC form and while it can be done just extra work that's why I decided to start from scratch with a larger TO.

The CL and Dash are better suited for glow than the TO but the TO builds the quickest.

Hang in there one of us will come out with a decent sized TO for glow [8D] Just takes time I'm actually cutting back on the EDF line to spend more time on the larger designs like the larger TO and a very large scale Dash-8 @ 12-14' span.

The one from MB can be done I know of one that is flying from it but was modified very heavy. Give me a day or so and shoot me an e mail and I'll send you a link to the video from it. My DSL is out right now and I need to get to a better PC to get it uploaded.

Thanks,

Old 08-06-2005, 02:42 PM
HybridVW
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Paul, when you finish detailing your TO, is it by chance going to have some gold pinstripes on it? My aunt and uncle own a TO based out of Kapowsin (now Thun), and your's looks awefully similar
Old 08-07-2005, 12:26 PM
WA Flyer

Hello HybridVW

You have the right one. I've taken about a jillion pictures of the jump plane. N52FW is the closest TO to me so that is the paint I'm trying for.

Paul

Name:	Zx70883.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	306781  
Old 08-07-2005, 03:10 PM
HybridVW
My Feedback: (1)

That's excellent! I need to finish the stripes on my Porter to look like the one they used to have, so there'll be at least a couple of models of their planes out there[8D]

BTW, they've got some prety big engines on it, so you're probably not overpowered
Old 08-13-2005, 11:01 AM
canhos

Hi
I'm currently in the process of continuining to build my TO from the Model BUilder Plans. The fuse is pretty much framed and sheeted, the wing is the same. I am in the proess right now of working on the nacelles, and finishing the tail section sheeting. This plane has been sitting in storage for 6 years, and is begging to be completed. I am a little concerned about the comments regarding it's weight. I have not modified the plans at all, I did ensure that any balsa I used was as light as I could find.

I am not planning on detailing it very much, but once I get it flying (I'm crossing my fingers) I'l prabably end up doing something to it.

ATM, I'm intending to use either a 35 or a 40 size engine. I hae built up a rough nacelle, and I can get a 40 2 stroke into it. The reason it got shelved initially was I was having complications with the mufflers. I have since developed some tools I didn't have, and plan on custum building an in cowl expansion muffler to fit behing the engine, inside the nacelle. It will probably be more of a square, but I'm hoping it won't be too restrictive.

The reason I post all this is 3 fold.

1) I'm really excited to find this thread. 6 years ago I didn't have access to the internet!!!
2) I have a copy of the plans. Not sure if it's against any copyright rules, but they can be copied i suppose. I have found out that the copy I have is a little bit "deformed" due to previous copying.
3) I am very interested in knowing if this does fly, I'm guessing it will come it at around 14 lbs. It sounds heavy, but I'm hoping the high aspect ratio wing will allow it to still fly.

Long post I know but this is so cool!!
Mike
Old 08-13-2005, 11:24 AM
canhos

Found this link in another thread for plans BTW, these are the Model Builder ones http://www.geocities.com/aerohydro/mfm/northrop.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.