Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Which 4 Stroke for a Bridi Tigercat?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Which 4 Stroke for a Bridi Tigercat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which 4 Stroke for a Bridi Tigercat?

I posted this question in the Warbirds forum a few days ago, and got no replies. Maybe my luck will improve here *COUGH* Bill Robison *COUGH*. Anywho, I'll be working on the Bridi Tigercat this winter, and was wondering what guys have ran for engines in this bird. I've looked at the Mgnum 52, but am afraid that won't be enough for my altitude of 3500 feet. The Magnum 70 looks good, but it weighs 5 oz more than the 52, for a total of 10 or more ounces for both engines. I've also looked at Saitos, but they give no weight specs on these engines on the Horizon site. Their are definetly more options with Saito, the 56, 65, and 72. Prop clearance will not be an issue, as this plane could clear an 18 inch prop no problem according to the plans.

So what is your opinion everybody? How about some retract advice as well. Thanks friends!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:49 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Which 4 Stroke for a Bridi Tigercat?

Randy:

If yours is the smaller of the two Bridi Tigercats the FA-72 should do fine. At the same time, the FA-82 is a little lighter than the 72 ande more powerful. I've attached a specs table so you can compare the engines.

Of the Saito singles, my choice is the FA-82. I'm still waiting for the radial engines for mine.

Bill.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89963.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	348642  
Old 11-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Deadeye

Bill, Thanks. It does look like the 82 will be the best bang for the weight. Have you seen the new Saito 125? Lighter than the 120, and more powerful. Saito must be encapsulating helium in their aluminum.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:01 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Randy:

It is a well-kept secret that Saito is alloying aluminum with unobtanium.

Since unobtanium has a negative mass, the weight of the alloyed parts can be as light as Saito wants them to be. For ease in handling they found that weight less than an ounce or two made working with the parts too difficult - they tended to blow away in a light breeze. Additionally, since unobtanium will not alloy with ferrous metals, they could not lighten the iron and steel parts, effectively limiting the maximum weight reduction available to the engineers.

I hope this information is of interest to you.

Bill.

PS: (Tongue firmly in cheek) Haw. wr.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

"Lighten" up, Bill
Old 11-04-2005, 08:19 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess that's what they mean when they say "Add lightness to your airplane."

It is also clear that Saito has cornered the market on unobtainium because I'm sure that OS, Enya and ASP/Magnum would use it if they could... ah... obtain it.

Jim
Old 11-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Muxje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't beat Saito for weight; I've just selected the Saito 30S as the rear engine in my Do335. Weight reduction in the tail of this model is critical. For retracts, you could check www.centuryjets.com; they do retracts for a whole range of kits. There might be one for your airplane.