Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:44 AM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Seagull's "Dual Ace"

No problem. They are a design flaw and we just have to get them as good as possible. This is a very nice airframe and I have over 100 flights on mine.

Bo
Old 06-24-2007, 08:34 AM
jlsmith54
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be able to help you with the nacells problem. You want to put the bottom halve on first & go ahead & screw it down to the wing. Make sure all screws are screwed down so there want be any bind when you put the top halve on. Make sure that your engine backplate has clearance in front of the nacelle so that it will not be rubbing against the front edge, set the nacell on the wing & alinged it with the backplate of your engine. You will have to mark & make your cut outs to fit your engine. Once you have the bottom halve on all screws are screwed down the top halve will fit, again you will have to make a cut out to fit your engine. Trial fit your halves in making your cut outs. Trim a little bit a time so you want cut to much off at once. I hope this might help you, it worked for me. This is a beautiful plane & flies great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70409.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	709798  
Old 07-01-2007, 02:28 AM
Michael G
My Feedback: (1)

I hope to maiden my Ace by the Fourth. Using two E-flite 60s turning 14" props powered by 6S lipos. Once I'm happy with the conversion I plan to recover and make a few mods. If all goes well I post photos.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:11 AM
baronerosso

Hello from Italy
Maiden flight done on sunday, it really fly great and faaaast powered with two cheap OS46LA.
CG was at 115mm (my manual have a "sticker" correction about CG), but it was still a bit too tail heavy for my fling style so I added 30gr. more on the nose and now it fly straight.
I've to check it but I guess that CG is now set at 120mm (4,72 inc)
I'm going to mount alluminium spinner as well so hopefully I'll be able to remove a bit of wight from the nose
Such a pity the nacells don't fit that good at all!!!
Grat plane!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:54 AM
donniercjet
My Feedback: (10)

sorry it took so long for the pics. here are the pics of how i am installing my retracts. i still have a long way to go. the 2 rails are coming out, and a plate will be installed...

Name:	Hf97625.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	727896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88248.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	727897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86456.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	727898  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 AM
donniercjet
My Feedback: (10)

if you were looking close at my retract install you will see that my retracts are almost completly through the nacell. i did this so i can have longer legs for better ground clerance. what i don't like about this is that i will have to butcher my nacell's to make them fit. i don't like to butcher either so, i am making a plug that will be 5 inches shorter on the aft end to clear the retracts. if everything goes to plan,(ha,ha,ha) i am going to offer a limited kit for retract install including the new nacell's, pre-cut retract plate, covering to replace the covering that you tear up, and full instruction's with template's. here's my progress so far...

Name:	Jg14000.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	727909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72058.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	727910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92964.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	727911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq43879.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	727912  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:06 AM
boingram

...count me in onthe new stuff if you decide to to it....

Bo
Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Prairie Mike

Is anyone, besides me, flying the DA on Evo 46's?

If so, what glow plug are you using? I've installed the larger sullivan ST-10 fuel tanks and have been having a problem with surging engine(s) and at 3/4 throttle an engine quits.

I am going after the problem thinking it's fuel foaming. The Sullivan tanks don't give any room for foam padding. But I saw on another thread the the Evo 46 need a hotter plug such as the OS A-3

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:06 AM
torgust

Hi Mike

I have two evo .52's which i'm going to use in my DA when i get around to building it

In my experience the fuel-foaming problem will dissappear if you richen the engine. Other members of my club have had the same issues also with evo 46 and 52's with no padding around the tank.
Try to richen the needle until you start to loose rpm's, go back two nobs, and go for it. If your engine does'nt die after richening it, your hunch on fuel-foaming should be correct. If it still dies the plug would be my next choice too

If you are able to solve the problem, please report back with your conclusion.

All the best
Old 08-16-2007, 07:08 AM
boingram

I have over 50 flights on my DA w/46AX's. Never had a fuel flow problem with OEM tanks.

I do, however, run my engines on the rich side.

Bo
Old 08-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Prairie Mike

I have tried various needle settings and could not tune through theough lean setting. The reason I suspect fuel foaming is because I changed to the sullivan 10oz flex tanks (read about it in some of the earlier posts). There really isn't much room with those tanks. So am gonna try st-8 tanks with more foam padding. then will try the hotter plugs, although I don't think this is a plug issue.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 PM
fire_paramedic

Well after reading all this thread i have decided i will buy one to. I have a plane with a os 46la and i just love that engine. what does everybody think of two of them on the dual ace? or should i go with the evo 46 or os 46ax i have only used os engines in the past and wonder if i should try something new. I will do mainly just sport flying, a few loops and rolls etc. I keep the insane stuff for my heli's. Thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 07:56 AM
boingram

Use AX's..they simply run...no drama...reliable...powerful....I've got close to 100 flights on my DA...great airframe.

Bo
Old 08-26-2007, 04:48 PM
RevGQ

I would consider using heavier engines due to the amount of nose weight being added up front.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
boingram

The DA CG as instructed in the manual is pretty much accepted as being WRONG! Most people are balancing at 95-105 back and this requires little or no weight in the nose. I have no weight, but use a Falts nosegear which is kinda heavy. Flies much better with CG back some. At the manual's CG, the plane is very nose heavy.

Bo
Old 08-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Bo,
Haven't talked to you in a while. Did you ever get your 310 in the air yet??. I have over 50 flights on mine still going strong. I flew the DA the other day, I haven't flow it in a few months. Still a good flying plane. I am working on a 1/4 scale Crop Duster now.

Guys Bo is right don't use the manual for the CG setting. I have mine set at 100 with a little nose weight in the nose cone. Read this thread farther back. Mine is a little nose heavy which you do want. I still land a little hot using flapperons.
Over powering this plane is NOT what you want to do. I know of two planes that this happen to, well they are not flying any more. The 46's are plenty of power for this plane.

Walt
Old 08-27-2007, 06:48 AM
boingram

Walt,

The 310 is still in the shop. I've had problems with the Twinsync and it's just been too hot here so I'm in no hurry. It's ready to go once I get the Twin sync worked out properly. I might just go without it. I trust the 46AX's as I have them in several other twins without the Twinsync.

Bo
Old 08-31-2007, 11:50 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone know off hand what size bolt thread/ pitch holds the wings to the fuse? I am nearing completion of a crashed dual ace and didn't recieve the bolts. Also, I have been over this thread quite a few times and notice that people are flying a a fairly wide range of cg settings..anyone is there a common consensus on what works best ? I have been working on and off on my plane a year or so..and can't recall everything I've read on this monstrous thread. A search on the bolt didn't pull up the info..anyways thanks for any help !
Old 09-02-2007, 04:00 PM
old bird

Foodstick, The wing bolts are 1/4 by 20, I am using hex head nylon ones from our LHS. I can use a socket with a universal joint on my electric screw driver when assembling the plane, saves a lot of PITA. My CG is 100mm back from leading edge, required 5 ounces of lead in the nose. The plane lands beautifully if I do my job. The wings really need to have locating dowels installed so the incidence can't change when installing the wings. I think those are the major issues, this plane is a joy to fly. I am using two Magnum .52 4-strokes, plenty of power at our 5000' altitude and great sound on the fly-bys.

Regards from old bird.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks alot old bird,

You know it didn't even dawn on me that there are no alignment pins, and that the wing could be slightly different each time. I picked up a crashed plane and have made some cosmetic changes, Hopefully I will have some pics soon, and even better a flight on it. I completly changed the nose of the plane, and the side windows, and the windshield... Unfortunately I used to heavy of plastic for the windshield and I am not thrilled with the way it came out on top....... Maybe I will do it right later. I bought a new set of fiberglass nacells ...they seem slightly different than the ones I recieved with the PARTS of the original crashed plane. they are coming along ok ..I think I mounted my motors abour an 1/8th of an inch to far backward (typical) so I may have to shim my spinners out a hair...

I thought for sure those bolts would be metric, I just thought I was getting the wrong pitch threads....I was hoping to have this thing flying for the twin fly here in Iowa this weekend..but unfortunately I am definately missing the saturday part of the event.with some luck might be there sunday. It was alot of fun last year. Although the wind was an easy 40 mph in the gusts.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Prairie Mike

You can use a socket wrench with the supplied wing bolts. It takes a 1/2" six point socket--fits over the "wing" of the bolts. works fine..
Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 PM
kwjames

Looking for my first twin. This plane has caught my eye but I am going to keep looking. The Harmon Rocket by Seagull just about cured me of Seagull. Wish all you guys the best though.
Ken
Old 09-19-2007, 03:06 AM
chrishwegner
My Feedback: (38)

Ken,
Try Hobbico Twinstar. It is almost like a trainer. I know this ia a DA thread but I don't know how to tell you better.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:06 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

I have had this model for a while now, I had irvine 53s in it but it was ridiculasly overpowered so I fitted the OS 40LAs that I had.
It still flew ok but a little marginal so I bolted an OS46LA on the fuzz as well.
It now has just the write amount of power no lead and it still flys like like an intermediate model.
Been quite luck only had motors out when I was on finals so no issues as it was throttled back anyway but even with center engine dead the to 40s still carry it around ok.

I fitted 10oz kavan tanks in the wings and a 12 oz in the fuzz
I know some will say Why did I do it but my clubmates did not think I would do it so what else could I do!

I will post Pictures if anyone is interested but waiting on new nacells as the others have been cut about and offer a little to much engine cooling having been cut for 2 different motors

Mick
Old 10-25-2007, 01:13 PM
CrashPro
My Feedback: (1)

Oh yeah Major.......we gotta see pictures of that......a video would be cool too to hear three engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.