Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:07 PM
flying pastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull's "Dual Ace"

I fly from a grass strip and use 11 inch props with no problems. My DA has standard u/c and wheels. It is an electric conversion and is quite light at just over 10lbs ready to fly, so perhaps this makes it light on the ground. I have not checked the ground clearance recently but it has been flying for over a year in this configuration. Before you ask our strip is not "bowling green" standard either! It is balanced quite far back so perhaps this stops the nosewheel from digging in during take off.
Chris
Old 09-19-2008, 04:30 PM
David B

Matt,

I think you'd see an improvement in performance if you switched out the Master Airscrew 10x6's for equivalent APCs or Graupners. Not trying to step on any toes, but I've always noticed an improvement in performance when I switched out my MAS props for APCs. I've gotten to the point where I don't even by MAS anymore. I've been very impressed by the Graupners I've used as well. I'd also try larger wheels & 11x5 props. If you're going to try 3 bladers, check & see if Graupner makes one that will work. Hope I helped.

David B
Old 09-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

Matt
I am running the Graupner 10 x 7 on my DA with a pair of OS 46s turning about 12000 RPMS on 30% fuel and it is very fast. Graupner makes a great prop. I am also running the Dubro 2 3/4" rubber wheels. I have over a 100 flight on this plane. No bad habits.

Walt
Old 09-20-2008, 03:33 AM
flying pastor

Matt.
I'm not sure if they are available in the US but Bolly clubman props are very good and they come in 1/2 inch sizes. So you could probably use a 10 1/2 by 6. They are Australian. In the UK they are available from Steve Webb models and hobbies ( a great company to deal with incidentally ). 3 blade props are interesting in that the advantages do not always appear. Getting the right prop, motor, airframe setup can sometimes take quite a while.
All the best,
Chris
Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Gang

Just to post this thought........I have just bought a DA from a club member. Now I have looked but no-one seems to have done a nice cockpit deatil for the DA. So when I have finished mine from some old bits I have lying around I will glad to post some pictures.

By the way, has anybody got any cockpit interior photos??????????

Cymaz
Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 AM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cymaz,
Do a google search for a beechcraft duke, and you will find plenty with interior photos that you could print out and use. It also looks like the DA!
Bryan
Old 09-24-2008, 01:47 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

I replied on this a while back, but I love this plane with OS .52's! Too bad they have been systematically replacing their engine line up while making it smaller. The .52's started disappearing the second they released the .56. I had to call all over the place to find a second one! I did buy a new .56, but I guess I got the introductory price at $259 I think. I felt that was pretty steep considering the .52's could be had anywhere for around $180, but $300! Yikes. Same with the new .82, as soon as it was out, the .70 surpass went bye bye. Then the prices for all of the other remaining OS 4 strokers went up in price, and that was before the banks started flopping left and right!

At least you can still find the .52's on ebay and here on RCU sometimes. If you find one or 2, I highly suggest you grab them while they at least have parts available.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 AM
cymaz

Hi

Had a look at www.pilotfriend.com........super pictures many thanks. Will post my efforts when the rest of the balsa sheet arrives and I can complete the floor and put some seats in. It won't be scale but I hope it will give a rough idea of some detail, especially when I have made it out of odds and ends.
Cymaz
Old 09-25-2008, 07:19 AM
JoeMamma

Hellcat,

I agree......the OS 52's are a winning combination on my Beechcraft Duke. Seagull's Dual Ace ? Whutsa Dual Ace ?

Just kiddin'. When somebody asks me what kind of model aircraft it is, it's easier to tell them it's a Beechcraft Duke.

cymaz,

Go to Google and type in these five words: interior pictures aircraft Beechcraft Duke

I found 1530 results. I could not believe the amount of pictures I found !

Joe M.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
larrysogla

Today UPS just delivered 2 Dual Ace from rcslots.com and also the electric retracts from Tower Hobbies came in today as well. One Dual Ace will be electric(850 watts/16,00RPM each Turnigy brushless electric motor from HobbyCity at $25.85 each, 70 amp ESC $17.79 for each motor and 14.8 volt/2350 maH 4s1p 25c lipo batteries $40.79 for each motor) and the other DA is nitro(Aviastar .53 with 2.45 horsepower output as claimed by the manufacturer). 746 watts equals one horsepower, so at 850 watts, this electric combo has plenty of juice to make it fly. I listed the price on the electric power components because as recently, the price on these quality electric power components has dropped by as much as 80%. I saw on the Top Flite Cessna 310 that it has split flaps, meaning the flaps extend as a separate panel under the wing, NOT looking like an aileron. I plan on using separate servo retracts for each wing. I could connect the individual wing servo retracts to a homemade split flaps. I would use those plastic for sale signs at Home Depot as cutout split flaps and install them underneath the wings with plastic piano hinges from Home Depot so the split flaps would lay flat under the wings. The split flaps would extend only when the main gears extend as flaps are needed only on takeoffs and landings. This of course is to compensate for the added weight of the 3 servo retracts(one for each wing and one for the nose gear). No additional servo needed for the split flaps. The only additional weight for the split flaps will be the weight of the short pushrod and plastic piano hinge and the cutout plastic panel. The split flaps will come out with very little weight penalty because the retract servo will be actuating the flaps also. Anyhow, I decided on the retracts, although it is electric, because of the videos on the Top Flite Cessna 310 flying scale like with the retracts. Makes a big difference in the flying appearance of the model. If successful, I will do the same electric retracts on my 2 Hobbico Twinstar which is also, one is electric and the other is Nitro. Also there is this nice fiberglass Hondajet HA-420 ARF from Nitroplanes that today UPS delivered also. I attached the nice pictures of this hybrid Hondajet/electricprop powered 66" wingspan/8.5 lb. $149 ARF with FACTORY RETRACTS INSTALLED. I have read this thread from beginning to end and there is just a wealth of knowledge that will save me from a lot of spent manhours figuring out how to install components and how to successfully adjust them. Many thanks for the people contributing their good info to this thread. God Bless y'all.
larrysogla
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82714.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	1044019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96815.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1044020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80642.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1044021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32383.jpg
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	1044022  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
larrysogla

The Hondajet hybrid electric prop is not listed in the online catalog of Nitroplanes. You have to google "rc retracts" and on the second page of the googled search there is an item titled "clearance item:brand new electric rc model aircraft with retracts"........OH YES!!!!!!! This fiberglass baby comes with FACTORY RETRACTS INSTALLED!!!!!! Yes I have it in my hot little hands right now and the workmanship is BOOTIFUL!!!!! Yessirreeeeeee!!!!! I will also power it with the 14.8 volt/850 watt Turnigy electric brushless motors as I have ordered 4 of these brushless motors. 2 electric motors for the Dual Ace electric conversion and 2 electric motors for this Hondajet hybrid electricprop with 9x7 3 blade pusher props at 12,000RPM and it is electric, good for 10 to 15 minute flights. God Bless America..........whoopee-dooo!!!!
larrysogla
Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 AM
cymaz

Well as promised here are the pictures of the Dual Ace cockpit I made up. It took about an hour and used everything I had already in my workshop so cost nothing........GREAT!!

Anyone else with pictures I would love to see them.
Cymaz
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59851.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1044241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb88070.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1044242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79272.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1044243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47329.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1044244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr47275.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1044245  
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 AM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SWEET! Now we are getting somewhere with these models! This is a must read thread for anyone who buys this arf. So many great ideas, I can't wait to start on mine.
Bryan
Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 AM
cymaz

ORIGINAL: warbirdmustang

SWEET! Now we are getting somewhere with these models! This is a must read thread for anyone who buys this arf. So many great ideas, I can't wait to start on mine.
Bryan
Well let's see it on the thread in all its glory DON'T FORGET THE COCKPIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Ichy

Purchased a DA that was prebuilt except battary and receiver. Made small changes in servo arms and control throws. It has Evolution 46's with 10x7 APC props and Du-Pro 2.75" dia black spinners. Put the plane on a balnce and it came out at 110mm. I'm confused! I have seen so many here adding weight to the front of the firewall. Is that because of engine choice (weight)? The only thing that is not on the plane is the tail cone.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:39 AM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: Ichy

Purchased a DA that was prebuilt except battary and receiver. Made small changes in servo arms and control throws. It has Evolution 46's with 10x7 APC props and Du-Pro 2.75" dia black spinners. Put the plane on a balnce and it came out at 110mm. I'm confused! I have seen so many here adding weight to the front of the firewall. Is that because of engine choice (weight)? The only thing that is not on the plane is the tail cone.
I found the same thing, using a pair of Super Tigre 40's, in fact I had to add a (very small) bit of lead to the tail to get mine to 110mm (due probably to the two RX battery packs and the sub C cell I mounted inside the nose cone). I think the problem lies in the fact that the early production runs of this plane listed the CG as 90mm - people had to add tons of lead to get it to balance at 90mm, then found out it flew poorly. My manual actually has a sticker over the original CG 90mm position showing the new 110mm one.

There's been a couple of other minor changes in the later runs too - for instance they're now gluing the wooden "washers" for the wing bolts in place in the factory, so the wing incidence is set correctly. Earlier ones had them loose, to be glued in by the builder.

Finding errors in the manual is normal especially with cheaper (and often asian made) models due to language issues, but finding a manufacturer that'll actually correct these errors in later runs is less common, and to be applauded.

Matt
Old 10-07-2008, 05:01 AM
cymaz

Hi
The chap in the club I bought my DA from said not to move the COG too far forward as it won't flare out on landing. So about 100mm seems about right.

Cymaz
Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Ichy

Thanks for the answers! The plane I have must be an older version as the manual says 85-90mm. Also the wood washers are still loose. I need to check the incidences next.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 PM
JoeMamma

Hi Guys,

I fly mine with the CG at 100mm, but it still takes off like it's nose heavy. It could be because of the extra fuel I'm carrying. Also, when landing with more than half-full tanks, it is difficult to flare (nose heavy).

I didn't like the included goofy fuel tanks with the strange plastic fuel lines. Don't know the size. Probably about 6-7 ounces. I replaced them with a pair of Sullivan 10 ouncer's (RST-10 #428). These fit in real nice with minimum modifications.

I'm planning on experimenting by moving the CG to about 115-120mm and then putting in a long flight to run the tanks low. As the tanks run empty, it will become more tail-heavy. Hope my test works out.

Joe M.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Unstable

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma
I didn't like the included goofy fuel tanks with the strange plastic fuel lines. Don't know the size. Probably about 6-7 ounces. I replaced them with a pair of Sullivan 10 ouncer's (RST-10 #428). These fit in real nice with minimum modifications.
how come I decided to check this forum and read this post AFTER I picked up a Dubro 8oz and had to heat and bend in the end to get it to fit..........

oh well.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 PM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

started building my DA. went throught my engines. Have two evolution 35 but think that would be low limit. Have 3 brand new super tigre 61's from italy. That would be over power but could run at half throttle. Rather then buy more engines. Think i will use the st 61.
Putting in retracts. Have 4 different pair of them. all but one robarts. the other not sure. have the struts for them also. Been looking at the nacelles. Im think i will build my own rather then use the ones that came with the kit.
Have bigger tanks for it. Have some 3 and 1/2 wheels that will work on the retracts. Have to check clearance on the wing. would like to get 3-3/4 on it.
Instead of nose mount im using rail mount on the nose gear. the struts are 7/16. Have a complete lighting kit. would like to use that. means having to recover everything. Flaps would be nice, but alot of work on this model. Looking for copit kit that i can use in it. Have one for cessna 310. Might try and use some of that and seats.
Will post pictures as i get farther along..
Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
thisoldman

found a couple of saito fa45.. going to try those. Had them runing, but have to work on them.. they don't want to idle down enough. going to clean the carbs then try again. could not get below 2900. should be able to get them lower then that.
Have started to put the struts in. Lots of rework and designing them to fit. As soon as i get my camera back will post some pictures.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 AM
thisoldman

got my retracts installed.. now in process of installing gear doors. cut down the fin so its not so long. looks a lot better. I had a pair of spring air retracts. converted over to air up and down. Can control how they open and close.
changed the tanks over to sullivan 10oz tanks. not sure what the final weight will be. probably cose to 11 or 11 1/2 pounds. trying to find a copit kit for it. still looking for one. anyone found one yet?
will keep posted.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:05 AM
cymaz

Hey thisoldman

Have a look at my pics at the cockpit I did. Cost nothing so give it a go.

I still can't see the cockpit detail when the plane's in the air!!

Cymaz
Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 PM
mesaflyer

thisoldman,
Did you use 85 or 90 degree retracts? What did you use for nose gear? Got any pics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.