Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 AM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Seagull's

I'm going to put flaps on mine just for the "cool" factor! Most model airplanes don't really need them, but they sure are cool!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:45 PM
chunkyplunker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great forum on the Da, it has been very informative for me. I've read through it twice maybe three times. I have a thick skull, so it takes awhile for information to sink in and also I am fairly new to the sport. I have something I would like to ask, several posts have mentioned onboard glow drivers being installed. What I would like is some suggestions on which glow system to use. I have found several for single engine and multicylinder engine, but none for twine engine's.
If anyone has a good source please let me know.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: chunkyplunker

Great forum on the Da, it has been very informative for me. I've read through it twice maybe three times. I have a thick skull, so it takes awhile for information to sink in and also I am fairly new to the sport. I have something I would like to ask, several posts have mentioned onboard glow drivers being installed. What I would like is some suggestions on which glow system to use. I have found several for single engine and multicylinder engine, but none for twine engine's.
If anyone has a good source please let me know.
Thanks
The simplest way to do this is just to get a pair of on-board glows, one for each engine but that's expensive and doubles the on-board weight. There's a few companies that make on-board glows for twin engines and/or twin cylinder engines (the only difference is for twin engines you need a second earth wire, which connect's to one of the engine mounting bolts). The one I use in all my planes (I have single engine, twin engine, and twin cylinder engine planes in both 2 and 4 stroke) and recommend is the Micro-Glow from 42 Percent Products. It only comes with a single glow connector which I cut off and replace with a pair of OS Engines Booster Cables. You just solder the two "booster cables" to the wire for the glow connector, and the two earth wires to the original single one. For the DA with it's two piece wings you also need to add a pair of connectors so you can unplug the glow driver from the wings - I use a pair of Deans connectors for this but you can use any secure connector with 2 or more pins.

The Micro-Glow is a tiny device that has a plug to connect to your Rx's throttle channel, a socket to connect your throttle servo to. On the DA you connect the micro-glow to one of the throttle servos, and the other one directly to the Rx either with a Y adapter or use another channel and mix them. I use two channels so I can also mix in some rudder for throttle steering and have individual throttle trims for balancing. It has it's own battery supply (a sub-C cell) so it won't chew up your Rx battery - you can buy it with their battery or supply your own. There's a single push-button to set the throttle position the device switches on at, which can also reverse the device so you can set up up your throttle to work in either direction. The battery should last several days of flying on a single charge, as the glow only comes on at low throttle - I set mine for 1/4 throttle or less. It also comes with an optional red LED that you can mount externally to show when the device is on - very useful so you don't accidentally start the engine and chop your fingers off when playing with the prop. I usually mount it discretely in the cockpit somewhere, though my DA has it mounted in the fuselage near the nose since the cockpit's removable. I'm doing a scale Corsair at the moment and I plan to incorporate the LED into the gun sight to keep it discrete. On my DA I've added an engine mount to the firewall inside the plastic nose-cone and bolted a thin sheet of aluminium to it, to which I mount the battery packs for the RX and on-board glow. The micro-glow is automatically disabled when the Rx is off too, so no need for an extra power switch.

The Micro-Glow is available [link=http://valleyviewrc.com/42%25%20Products.htm]here[/link]. I'd get the one with the battery included as it also has a standard servo connector to recharge the battery in place. Note - I've not ordered from these people, as I've found an Australian dealer who's closer to me.
Tower Hobbies has the single cylinder OS Booster cables [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBZ91&P=7]here[/link], or the twin cylinder/engine one [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBZ92&P=7]here[/link]. You can order the twin and use it with the Micro-Glow's original earth cable, or two single ones and replace both the original cables. Tower also has Deans plus & sockets [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKX39&P=ML]here.[/link]
Old 12-28-2009, 04:27 PM
chunkyplunker

Sandmann
Thanks for the info, this will help me alot. I have had my DA since Feburary and I am just beggining to build it now. I want it ready for the spring thaw, I can't wait to hear those twin engines running. Hopefully I'll have good luck with it and not turn into a large lawn dart.
Thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lovely pictures of the DA. What sort of nose wheel are you using......certainly not a stock one that came with the kit!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: cymaz

Lovely pictures of the DA. What sort of nose wheel are you using......certainly not a stock one that came with the kit!

Try the Fults nose gear http://www.fultstooling.com/

It's a nice heavy-duty piece.

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19168.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1375617  
Old 02-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ooooo. I hate that. You spend 15-30 minutes carefully typing a message, then you click OK, and it says you have been timed out. Aarrghh! [>:]

Condensed version:
I just finished my DA and am waiting for better weather. Read all 900+ posts.
Using a pair of LA .46's from my twin LT 40.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...yfindTitle.cfm

Then I rambled on about the poor instructions, balancing etc., but said that in general I like the quality.

OK, copy all before clicking OK.

RS
Old 02-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Sandmann_AU

If it times out, hit the "back" button on your browser, select all the text you'd written, use the right mouse button & select copy, then re-log into RCU and go to the thread, click "reply", hit the right mouse button and select "paste. Instant recall.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Flight Risk

ORIGINAL: Sandmann_AU

If it times out, hit the ''back'' button on your browser, select all the text you'd written, use the right mouse button & select copy, then re-log into RCU and go to the thread, click ''reply'', hit the right mouse button and select ''paste. Instant recall.
Unfortunately, there is nothing I wrote when I go back. Just did it again. [X(]

Anyway, I finally flew the DA, and it was a blast. LA .46's with 11x6 props was fast but not excessive. There was a good crowd and they were impressed. I needed 12 oz. of pennies epoxied into the nose to ballance at 90mm and it seemed just right. Three clicks of down after a nervous take off and it was on rails. No problem lining up for landing. About half throttle coming in, then throttle back over the runway and it eases in.. Two nice flights with no engine out. Now I just need to figure out how to remove the wing bolts with my fat fingers. I'm tempted to cut off the top rear brace and move it forward. I've got a 90 degree geared screwdriver if I can find it, and if it will fit in there.

Rod S
Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Flight Risk

ORIGINAL: Sandmann_AU

If it times out, hit the ''back'' button on your browser, select all the text you'd written, use the right mouse button & select copy, then re-log into RCU and go to the thread, click ''reply'', hit the right mouse button and select ''paste. Instant recall.
Unfortunately, there is nothing I wrote when I go back. Just did it again. [X(]

Anyway, I finally flew the DA, and it was a blast. LA .46's with 11x6 props was fast but not excessive. There was a good crowd and they were impressed. I needed 12 oz. of pennies epoxied into the nose to ballance at 90mm and it seemed just right. Three clicks of down after a nervous take off and it was on rails. No problem lining up for landing. About half throttle coming in, then throttle back over the runway and it eases in.. Two nice flights with no engine out. Now I just need to figure out how to remove the wing bolts with my fat fingers. I'm tempted to cut off the top rear brace and move it forward. I've got a 90 degree geared screwdriver if I can find it, and if it will fit in there.

Rod S

Hi Rod,

First flights ? Isn't she a sweet flyer !

You mentioned "with no engine out". I wouldn't worry too much about losing an engine on this one. To me, this is where the Dual Ace excells.

Those goofy wing mounting bolts ? Yeah, I hear Ya. Plus, the original threads on the plastic blind nuts located within the wing were very loose. I broke out all four of these plastic blind nuts and replaced them with 1/4" metal blind nuts. Now I can use 1/4" nylon, allen-headed bolts. I sacrificed an old 1/4" allen-head ball-driver by shortening it.

Removing/Installing the wing bolts are now a breeze.

I like the Dual Ace so much I bought another one. A fellah in my RC club sold me one.........new in the box for $75. I was thinking of stripping off all of the covering to make a trim/color change on it.

Joe M.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM
wingman371

Lost My DA last weekend, total loss. The starboard engine came loose in its mount causing a vibration of course. This vibration caused one of the blades to shear hence fourth cutting through the nose cone and severing the battery lead to the reciever. All I could do was watch it go in. It was quite a spectacular crash. I have seen very few others that could rival it, LOL. I will more than likely get another cause it was a fun plane to fly. I would post y'all pics but for some reason this puter will not let me.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sheesh , just the story of how things went out of control after parts came loose and whacked the planes nose is spectacular..I can't imagine how it was to see it happen. [X(]
Old 04-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Flight Risk

Sounds impressive. I can't imagine how the blade went through the nose.
[X(]
Also I thought I would post a picture of a screwdriver I re-discovered in an old tool box. I never had much use for it till now. It works great for installing slotted nylon wing bolts in the DA. This one is from Brookstone, but I don't see it listed anymore. Though you can Google angled screwdriver and find it several other places like Amazon. Now it takes 30 sec. per screw rather than several minutes, plus you can use easy to find screws.

Rod S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81487.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	1421220  
Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: wingman371

Lost My DA last weekend, total loss. The starboard engine came loose in its mount causing a vibration of course. This vibration caused one of the blades to shear hence fourth cutting through the nose cone and severing the battery lead to the reciever. All I could do was watch it go in. It was quite a spectacular crash. I have seen very few others that could rival it, LOL. I will more than likely get another cause it was a fun plane to fly. I would post y'all pics but for some reason this puter will not let me.

I HATE when that happens !

You planning on another ? I believe Horizon H. is still selling it.

Joe M.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 PM
JoeMamma

To answer my own question from the last post:

Horizon Hobby say's "Out of stock". Usually this means it's going to be discontinued..........bummer ! [:'(] Another terrific model bites the dust.

Joe M.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

To answer my own question from the last post:

Horizon Hobby say's ''Out of stock''. Usually this means it's going to be discontinued..........bummer ! [:'(] Another terrific model bites the dust.

Joe M.
I dunno about that... I've just put together a Seagull Spacewalker 120 and it came with the latest catalogue (including the new Mew Gull, so it's current) and it still lists the DA. It's not like Seagull have another twin to replace it with either, or a lot of competing designs from other companies so I'd expect to see it round for a while yet.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:52 AM
wingman371

Yea it was a wild ride. We first speculated the on/off switch somehow went to off but on post crash analysis we found the fairly clean cut in the nose cone. We then found the battery and noticed just the negative lead was cut. Figured it was one in a gazillion chance. I had built the battery tray in the nose to attain proper CG as suggested here in this thread. I am considering another DA if they become available and Nitro Planes has a twin of about the same size. I am trying to get out of ARF's but I want a twin and it will take quite a while to build a large twin and I have many projects on the table.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Neo gold

Well..i purchased a Cmpro mosquito last week for my winter build!, but today i grabbed a Dual Ace!!..for my first twin training this summer!!....i'm still beside myself on which engines to use..
I have two OS52's witch tbh i thought they were pretty sluggish in my Kyosho BF-109 & Focke wulfe ?...'replaced them with superior Saito 62's.
What's the story guys?..shall i use them in this plane?...i was going to sell them off.
Thanks for any views..on this.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Neo gold

Well..i purchased a Cmpro mosquito last week for my winter build![img][/img], but today i grabbed a Dual Ace!!..for my first twin training this summer!!....i'm still beside myself on which engines to use..
I have two OS52's witch tbh i thought they were pretty sluggish in my Kyosho BF-109 & Focke wulfe ?...'replaced them with superior Saito 62's.
What's the story guys?..shall i use them in this plane?...i was going to sell them off.[img][/img]
Thanks for any views..on this.
The OS .52 4-strokes will be a great choice. I have a pair of them in mine. It's not a rocket ship, but the 52's pull my DA along pretty good. Plus, nothing sounds better than a pair of 4-strokes (Saito or OS) singing in harmony !

Joe M.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:38 AM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Thank you for your email.

The Seagull Dual Ace 46 Twin ARF (SEA4025) is discontinued and no longer
available. You might try an internet search like Google or Yahoo to see
if any hobby shops still have inventory. E-bay is also a great place to
look.
Anyone know where the DA might still be in stock?
Old 06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Flight Risk

I think you may have to just start calling around. The one I got was basically old stock, marked down. I had been watching it on the shelf for months with it's price dropping and wondering why no one picked it up. I finally made them an offer, which they accepted. They had a Dualist there for more than twice the price, and I couldn't see any real difference.
[X(]
Rod S
Old 06-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Neo gold

I picked mine up last week!, its now finished.., friday nt i ran it up in the back garden & sync'd the carbs ..all is well & taxied it around the garden for awhile, all set for an AM maiden..but it was just too damn windy!!..tomorrow maybe.
I have to OS 52's & futaba radio...i balanced this @ 113mm...& needed NO weight!..prob down to the heavier engine & large alloy spinners.
This seems to be an amended kit, the nose wheel wire is nice & thick & sprung steel, the manual CG has a sticker over the incorrect setting, it reads 105-115mm .
Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Ichy

Well of course it is discontinued! Just when mine is starting to fly. Sort of like washing a car before it rains!

Had a good first flight. Another gent took it off and trimed it. I took over and landed. Nose gear linkage disconected from servo so did a face plant on the runway. Just a small wing tip road rash and a shorter prop. I should have gone over all the links (bought pre-assembled). I did change out the location of the throttle servos to under the wing. Gave me almost a direct shot to the throttles. Flew great at 1/2 power.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:04 PM
helichong

What engines did you put into de DA?

Regards
Old 06-28-2010, 05:41 PM
chunkyplunker

Well, It's official, at least to me. Emailed Horrizon today about the Dual Ace, the response was it has been discontinued. Thier recomendation was to try and find one in dealer stock somewhere. Darn, what a bummer, I was looking for one as a backup. Guess I'll be buying a 310 from Nitroplanes as my spare.

Oh,wait, they will probably discountinue it too.[]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.