Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Seagull's

Thats me all half finished and some projects are huge. You need to see the glider section of the Shed.Was interested to see you at Swan Hill thats the end of the rail line from here.schulze rocks.
I think I'm the King of half finished,I'v perefected the art of the tall stack with no visible means of suport If you think you can stack 10 I'l do one more. yours Paul T
Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just poking around one of the LHS and there was a Dual Ace ARF sitting under a bunch of boxes. After blowing off the dust, the guy said he didn't even know it was there. After checking the contents to make sure it was complete, he offered to get it gone for $120, and I took him up. I have a TwinStar sitting in my future as a first twin, if that goes well, this 70" wingspan will be a good second twin, I hope. Great input here on this forum!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Quigleywins

Great find,I hope you put some life back into what has been a great thread with some photos and reports of your progress.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 PM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really enjoy flying the DA. Made some mods on my second one though, (had a mid air with my first - liked it so much I had to have another).

Fults double leg nose gear
Pull pull rudder
extra cooling vents on the top of the engine pods
bigger tanks
Replaced the wing thumb bolts and changed them to steel captive nuts and 5mm steel hex head bolts, much easier to do up
Old 03-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Warjet

How much bigger tanks? The ones in the box look like 8 oz each.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 PM
cymaz

9 Ounce tanks were used. Every bit counts!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:50 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Warjet

How much bigger tanks? The ones in the box look like 8 oz each.
I also didn't like the supplied short 8 ounce fuel tanks. I couldn't get the clunks to drop to the bottom of the tanks. Had the exact same problem with the TwinStar.

I used a pair of Sullivan 10 ounce tanks. Got them to fit without a lot of mods.

Been flying mine for about 5 years now..........still love it !

Joe M.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 AM
Quigleywins

Warjet WE need an up date on the progress more than once a week.Hi Joe still no progress on any of the twins other than the A66Texan it will be flown in the next 2 weeks. I will let you know how it flys. yours Paul T
Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

Warjet WE need an up date on the progress more than once a week.Hi Joe still no progress on any of the twins other than the A66Texan it will be flown in the next 2 weeks. I will let you know how it flys. yours Paul T
Hi Paul,

Who made your Texan (manufacturer) ?

Joe M.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 AM
eagle 01

Re:TwinSynch!Have any of you tried it on these?Have only lost couple twins due to dum thumbs but several due to engine failures!A double impact for a outside loop to low and engine out on the downward leg of a stall turn!Just getting a DA bought at swap last year ready to fly but seriously thinking of the twinsynch seems like a good idea might give you those few seconds after engine fails before it goes into spin to get it settled down!Sounds like they aren't to bad to handle but as we know eventually it will happen and I am using YS-53s which alone gives be some concerns but have tested both to be pretty reliable!The Mag 28s I had in my last twinstar failed constantly but it flew anyway would have to make low pass down runway to see which engine was out but then most twins aren't this forgiving!!Haven bought it yet but sure seems like good insurance??
Old 03-10-2013, 10:04 AM
cymaz

I use seperate channels for each engine then I can adjust the idles to perfection.......AND NO DEAD STICKS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69961.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1860338  
Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know many guys like to tweek the needle valves to get the engines in sync at full throttle and that is a bad practice. Get each engine to run it's best independantly, and if they are off even 500 rpm at full throttle, it's no big deal. In the air the props even out closer with the air drag.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 PM
cymaz

My engines run both run on the rich side with the aid of a tacho. It's easier to get a reliable idle a spare channel than keep taking off the nacelle.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Quigleywins

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

[

Hi Paul,

Who made your Texan (manufacturer) ?

Joe M.
Joe sorry for the delay on getting back to you,The ARFs are from Seagull and are powered with 2 OS 120 AXs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30716.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1861276  
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM
JoeMamma

Hi Paul,

Good Luck on the maiden.[8D]

Yep.........the Seagul models have been pretty good for me.

1.20AX ? My favorite O.S engine. Think I've got four of them flying. What a powerhouse !

I just finished up a .60 size Great Planes 70" Revolver. It took a little work, but the 1.20 AX fits real nice. I used a Bisson Pitts style muffler on it. It should climb like a rocket ship.[X(]

Just waiting for our winter to end for the maiden. Isn't your summer just ending down under ?

Joe M.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Pyropetepete

Hi Good morning from the UK. I've just joined here after seeing this topic via Google. This will be a slow project as it's my 2nd model only (just have a trainer and 3 helis). I fly using a Spektrum DX6i.

I bought this plane last night via eBay, was £139 delivered (cheapest I was able to find in the UK). http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2310079109...84.m1497.l2648

I'm slowly reading all 44 pages here to gain some tips and advice and see changes people have made. If anyone has a short hand list please fire it my way

So far I know I want to change the following

Closed loop control for the tail
Retracts
Nav lights
Smoke
Bigger fuel tanks
3 Blade props

I want to try and use the model for a mix of different things. As I said it's a project.

Engine wise I been thinking and looking and thinking of going with the simple 2 stroke still (the sound, look of 4 is tempting but it's twice the cost). I've always like the look of a JEN Engine and never had one, now I could have 2!! Also JEN is a UK Company so it'll be good to support them. http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalog/Jen.html

I'm tempted to go with the Jen .57. As they say it's a 60 in a 40. Not only that I've always wanted a tuned pipe. So I can really go all out here and kill 2 birds with 1 stone, dual engines, tuned pies and JEN Engines. If anyone again has any advice please feel free.

Retracts I've got to learn about but I like the look of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1510838105...84.m1423.l2649

Yes there is a little bit of an ebay them going on here. I will try to do what I can off ebay, so again if anyone has any links feel free.

Just found these so now looking to work out right size 3 blade props http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1907474551...84.m1423.l2648

Last edited by Pyropetepete; 09-08-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Warjet

Before I bought mine, I searched here and on RC Groups for info, went back to about 2009. Lot's of stuff. Just search dual ace under arfs and you'll get swamped.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a great flying plane if set up right.
You say you have a trainer. I would suggest you get some experience with a low wing plane before flying this.
Three blade props look nice, but are less efficient than a two blade, and adding a tuned pipe may be difficult as it would extend well behind the wing. That engine would be fine, but I would stick with a standard muffler, and 11x8 or so 2 blade prop. You'll be close to 100mph. This plane wants to fly fast and land fast. You'll be adding nose weight, so a heavy engine is fine. For the price of those engines and a tuned pipe, youll be close to the price of good used 4-strokes, and they are also more fuel efficient. Check ebay for used 40-60 size 4-strokes.
Have fun,
RS

Last edited by Flight Risk; 09-08-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Also keep in mind with the larger engine will you have clearance for the props? A three blade prop will help but not that much. Adding retracts may make it worse if there isn't room for longer gear to retract into the wing.

And as someone else said, get some time on a low wing plane befpore you fly! Waaay back when I went from a trainer (Royal 40H) , to a VK Cherokee to a Pica Duelest, and now, 30 years later I still have all three! take your time and do not rush it!!

Bill S.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a dual ace that was crashed, I rebuilt the front end much shorter/rounder.. I converted it to electric and my batteries are a bit to big and heavy causing it to be a little nose heavy, well... its a little TOO much nose weight and every flight I have to be careful about landing it .. This time I had a camera on board, and I really got my timing wrong on the flare ! its sorta funny..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1YwBOX-SSg

Last edited by foodstick; 09-08-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Forgot to flair is right, looks like you flew right into the runway!! how bad was it damaged?

Have to ask, if you knew it was nose heavey, why didnt you add some weight to the tail? I know we all hate to add useless weight, but...

Bill S.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:38 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

All I broke was the front landing gear block, I seem to only fly this plane once a year, at the local multi engine fly.. I always hang it back up and say, "I should fix that.." hahahah So I got it back down again... I remembered it wasn't quite right, but this time I really blew the landing ! I really need to put smaller/lighter batteries in it, but you are right I should just put a little lead in the tail so it doesn't fall thru so bad.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Pyropetepete

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
This is a great flying plane if set up right.
You say you have a trainer. I would suggest you get some experience with a low wing plane before flying this.
Three blade props look nice, but are less efficient than a two blade, and adding a tuned pipe may be difficult as it would extend well behind the wing. That engine would be fine, but I would stick with a standard muffler, and 11x8 or so 2 blade prop. You'll be close to 100mph. This plane wants to fly fast and land fast. You'll be adding nose weight, so a heavy engine is fine. For the price of those engines and a tuned pipe, youll be close to the price of good used 4-strokes, and they are also more fuel efficient. Check ebay for used 40-60 size 4-strokes.
Have fun,
RS
HI RS,

Thank for the reply. As I said this is an on going project but getting the stuff now. I'll fly lots more before I fly this and perhaps something else in-between. So I went with the JEN .57's with STD exhuast, they arrived today and so has the plane. I have tuned pipe already so I can always check fitting at a latter date. I also went and got some JR 591 servos, got 7 for £60 delivered. Also waiting for a Spektrum AR6210 (bought 2 for £50 delivered new). Prop wise I'll take the advice and go for a twin, 11X8, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APC-11-x-8...item3cd114a3a7 this be ok?

What would be a good size spinner? Have to be an aluminium one. 3''too big?

Taken delivery of these as well, very bright http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3708686063...368%26_rdc%3D1

Kit looks amazing. I keep leaving my camera at work, will get some photos soon
Old 09-12-2013, 09:39 PM
cymaz

If you have a flight sim I would suggest you get some time on a twin and practice single engine flying if you can. Last week I was flying a club mates twin. Down wind turn the thing suddenly dropped a wing-one engine gone. There is no time to think and your reactions have to be almost automatic.

3" spinners on my D.A. - Just fine.

I fly mine on a pair of Irvine 40's and can easily cruise around on 1/3 throttle. I hope you will run the lights on a separate battery source. If you run a separate channel on each engine it makes setting idle so much easier. I did this with my Futaba 9 cap. Great if you have spare channels- post 1086.

Also take a look at my D.A on post 1060

Last edited by cymaz; 09-13-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 AM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

Might want to rethink the three-bladed props. I use them on my Dual Ace and they perform just fine. They're needed be cause of ground clearance; otherwise I cut a lot of grass on the taxi out to the runway!

Also had planned to put tuned pipes on my ST40's, but deferred. Reliability of either engine in a twin is very important, and I felt the pipes might increase the likelihood of losing one engine, or one up on the pipe and the other not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.